Why become a member? ×

dings in my neck - ouch!

Ou7shined

I have 2 slight dings on the neck of my otherwise pristine Ibanez SRX300 where it fell (and bounced) against a table :) The dings are on the back of the neck and have no discernible effect upon the playing or sound but it just bugs me that they are there. Can they be removed?

Many moons ago in a different incarnation I used to build and repair furniture and a trick that we could sometimes employ with small dings was place a damp cloth over it and gently iron over the area and it would rehydrate and expand the wood until the pit disappeared. I'm reluctant to try this on the neck as primarily I'm scared there's a chance of warping the neck by heating it and secondly it's obviously a hard wood and might not respond anyway. It feels and looks like bare wood but (and I'm just guessing here) presumably there is an extremely thin, clear matt finish of some sort on it, this would put the kybosh on that plan too.

I suppose I could always claim it on my home insurance but that seems quite drastic considering the damage.

There is likely to be a matt/satin finish of some sort on the neck. To repair this fully, you'd have to sand down the area, the steaming might work or it might not and then you'd have to refinish. A lot of work :) To be honest, it looks like you'll just have to suck it up and put it down to experience.