Why become a member? ×

Chasing up an item in customs

bassbloke

Do you know who handles USPS items in the UK?? I guess it should be Royal Mail or Parcelforce, in which case they are the people you need to contact. Customs clearance should take no more than about 3-4 hours including preparing the paperwork (I do it all the time). You will probably find that this is catch all excuse which really means "we are crap - it will be there a couple os days".

Steve

[quote name='ped' post='42848' date='Aug 8 2007, 12:23 PM']Every item I have had in customs has been there for a few days. it normally says 'Awaiting resentation' for a couple, then 'clearing customs' for a couple more.[/quote]

+1

Try and be patient.... it's not easy, I know from experience!

You'll find that you will get a letter from Parcel force in a day or two asking you to collect the parcel and pay up some tax, you'll also have to pay them for the privalage of getting your parcel back, it's a rip off basically.

As soon as the parcel is at the depot just cruise over and ask for it - the letter from them will arrive at least two days after the parcel can actually be collected. 99ster is correct, use the parcelfarce tracking and it will say when it is in the depot. When i last used them they were very helpful, telling me that the parcel was on route to the depot that evening and I could get it the next day without any problems. The letter arrived 3 days later!

..Mind you this is in Oxfordshire, home of the militant royal mail layabouts

[quote name='ped' post='43021' date='Aug 8 2007, 07:24 PM']As soon as the parcel is at the depot just cruise over and ask for it - the letter from them will arrive at least two days after the parcel can actually be collected.[/quote]

When I got a parcel from the USA through USPS / Parcelforce I got the letter [i]before[/i] the parcel arrived at the depot. It was their practice to send out the letter as soon as the parcel arrived at the port of entry to try and address the problem Ped points out.

Safest thing is to ring the depot, which I think is at Mitcham for you :)

Hamster