Why become a member? ×

US Fender Strap Buttons

martthebass

Well, I've just got my nice minty fresh US 2007 Precision (courtesy of OHM) and one question I gotta ask - are the strap buttons meant to hold - Seriously!?

They look like the lockers on my Warwick and nothing at all like proper strap buttons like on my old (and departed) MIM Jazz and current MM Sterling.

If I have to do a swap out for lockers what do you suggest - I'd prefer not to do any drilling (the dunlops I got for my MM would have needed this and I didn't want to tempt fate so I went out and bought a nice Levys tight strap instead).

Cheers guys, Mart

Aren't they Schaller straplock compatible?
My 2004 MIA has those.

They're nice and tight, too. Never worked loose!

They don't have any real "flange" on them, so using a naked strap on them means it'll probably fall off.

Get thee some Schaller straplocks. You can get 'em nearly anywhere. Cost about £15 in silver. More in black or gold.

Faliling that, use some Grolsch bottle rubber washers over the top of the strap...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='43084' date='Aug 8 2007, 10:36 PM']Faliling that, use some Grolsch bottle rubber washers over the top of the strap...[/quote]

Good one, never thought of that.

Regarding the Schaller thing, considering the price of an MIA you would have thought they would have included straplocks especially as the buttons don't work with 'ordinary' straps - Warwick do.

Vorsprung Durch Technik

[quote name='martthebass' post='43188' date='Aug 9 2007, 10:38 AM']Good one, never thought of that.

Regarding the Schaller thing, considering the price of an MIA you would have thought they would have included straplocks especially as the buttons don't work with 'ordinary' straps - Warwick do.

Vorsprung Durch Technik[/quote]

Mart

The Precision came with Schaller straplocks as standard, but only the end that fits on the bass (not the part that fits on the strap). I think I've got a couple of strap parts spare so I'll send them on to you.