Why become a member? ×

Bass Synth Pedal - Recommendations?

EskimoBassist

Hey

Im looking to buy a Synth pedal but im not sure what to look for in all honesty. Really looking for a fat synth sound, very Tim Commerford if possible (think breakdown on "No Shelter" - how awesome is that sound!).

Well i do believe that is a synth effect. If it ISNT however please fill me in! And possible hints as to how i could achieve that sound, ie what FX pedals i should lay my hands on!

Thanks alot for the help, much appreciated!
Rich

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='43119' date='Aug 9 2007, 12:16 AM']Sounds like his usual distortion + an octaver. Simple as that. And he's playing 3-note chords on top of that.[/quote]

I wrote an article for Bass Guitar Magazine a few issues back on synth pedals. The best one by far (of the 4 we looked at) was the Akai Deep Impact. Tough to get hold of these days, and expensive, but worth it if you want a good synth sound. I haven't heard the track that was mentioned earlier, but as someone already said, you can get a decent synth tone (or synth-ish) by using compression, distortion and and octave pedal. That's something I'll write an article on for the mag eventually - getting a good synth tone in this way, and also using a midi pickup to control a synth. Has to be tried!

Hope that is of some vague use...

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='43345' date='Aug 9 2007, 04:05 PM']I wrote an article for Bass Guitar Magazine a few issues back on synth pedals. The best one by far (of the 4 we looked at) was the Akai Deep Impact. Tough to get hold of these days, and expensive, but worth it if you want a good synth sound. I haven't heard the track that was mentioned earlier, but as someone already said, you can get a decent synth tone (or synth-ish) by using compression, distortion and and octave pedal. That's something I'll write an article on for the mag eventually - getting a good synth tone in this way, and also using a midi pickup to control a synth. Has to be tried!

Hope that is of some vague use...

Stu[/quote]

Thanks alot that is fantastic help Stu. Yeah ive always wanted a Deep Impact, but i havent found one yet, atleast not on ebay yet. How much do they go for?Rich