Why become a member? ×

Cleaning My Bass

markdavid

Hi,

I apologise if this is a really dumb question but I am going to get some lemon oil to clean my bass as the fingerboard on my bass is a little on the grungy side. I have heard people say that you need to take the strings off your bass to clean it , is this actually neccessary or is it just because the strings get in the way when you are trying to clean? I know this seems like a strange thing to ask but I would rather just dab a small amount on a cloth and slide the cloth under the strings as I hate that whole re tuning thing

Too much Lemming Oil is as bad as not enough.... Of course this depends on how muchand where you play.

You should have an idea if the board looks dry or grubby, and if it is grubby really you should clean it before you put nice new oil on... Breath on the fingerboard up close and wipe any dead skin/animals/fagends/radioactive fallout off and then apply a light covering of Lemming Oil. Allow to dry and gently buff.... (the fingerboard silly!).

If you're worried about the state of the board but dont wantto change the strings, its really not a problem to just undo them at the head end, tidy them so they dont scratch anything and do the job on the neck. IMO folks get a wee bit paranoid about taking strings off.....

B.

[quote name='markdavid' post='43150' date='Aug 9 2007, 07:53 AM'].... get some lemon oil to clean my bass as the fingerboard ..... take the strings off ..... slide the cloth under the strings.[/quote]
I have some Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil, which they don't recommend for maple fretboards. I mostly use a good quality beeswax polish. Also, I just slide the cloth under the strings as you suggested. A soft toothbrush gets into the corners. Works well for me.

Hi , thanks for the replies, my fingerboard is rosewood rather than the maple type. I have some furniture cream at home which contains beeswax (pure natural beeswax with silk protein furniture polish , enriched with lavender and chamomile essential oils) do you think this will be ok to use to clean my fingerboard on my bass(after all its designed for wooden furniture)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='43158' date='Aug 9 2007, 08:35 AM']Too much Lemming Oil is as bad as not enough.... Of course this depends on how muchand where you play.

You should have an idea if the board looks dry or grubby, and if it is grubby really you should clean it before you put nice new oil on... Breath on the fingerboard up close and wipe any dead skin/animals/fagends/radioactive fallout off and then apply a light covering of Lemming Oil. Allow to dry and gently buff.... (the fingerboard silly!).

If you're worried about the state of the board but dont wantto change the strings, its really not a problem to just undo them at the head end, tidy them so they dont scratch anything and do the job on the neck. IMO folks get a wee bit paranoid about taking strings off.....

B.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Nothing quite like a good twist of Lemming?...............(Lemon oil ,the smell kinda gives it away really)

[quote name='markdavid' date='Aug 9 2007, 01:01 PM' post='43230']
Hi , thanks for the replies, my fingerboard is rosewood rather than the maple type. I have some furniture cream at home which contains beeswax (pure natural beeswax with silk protein furniture polish , enriched with lavender and chamomile essential oils) do you think this will be ok to use to clean my fingerboard on my bass(after all its designed for wooden furniture)

MB1. :)

Have heard, if its got silicone in it you shouldnt use it!check its ingredients.

[quote name='MB1' post='43359' date='Aug 9 2007, 04:23 PM']Have heard, if its got silicone in it you shouldnt use it!check its ingredients.[/quote]

Not sure but I think this is on the laquer on the bass body/back of neck - the silicone makes the finish go hazy. Don't think it's a problem on the unfinished RW. Having said that you can't beat Lemon oil, a little goes a long way and it's cheap.

[quote name='chris_b' post='43234' date='Aug 9 2007, 01:11 PM']..... your bass is just "wooden furniture", of the musical kind!

I don't use the scented stuff but I'm sure that your band will like the smell..... would it mask the sweatty drummer![/quote]

Thanks for the reply , made me laugh