Why become a member? ×

Just one CD

Pbassred

Art Pepper's album "Today". The bass playing throughout the whole album is stunning but there's a bass solo on "Patricia" which stops my heart every time I hear it.

I think the bassist is called Paul Chambers but whoever he is, it's the best Double bass playing I've ever heard

On investigation, Paul Chambers died 12 years before this album was recorded, so I'm not sure it was him anymore.....

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

One of my favorites is Brad Mahldau's Art of the Trio, vol.3: Songs. Its a sublime album, definitely one the that band's best. Larry Grenadier on bass providing the usual solid bottom end with piles of tone. They also do a great cover of Radiohead's Exit Music for a Film. Well worth checking out if you haven't heard it before.

"We Get Requests" by the Oscar Peterson trio ( with Ray Brown on bass).

Although not a CD, there is a great DVD of Oscar Peterson at Montreux in a trio with both Ray Brown and Neils Henning Orsted Pederson on bass - mind blowingly good!

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Mikey D' post='44639' date='Aug 12 2007, 10:59 PM']I agree with alun, although, if you want a bit more (lots more) flash CHOPS by Joe Pass and NHOP is a close 2nd.[/quote]

Yup, that's a classic too. Only reservation I have with that one is that NHOP seems to be using a magnetic pickup and the bass is quite electric sounding. The playing is still phenomenal though.

Cheers,
Alun

[quote name='Pbassred' post='43264' date='Aug 9 2007, 01:51 PM']If you had to suggest one CD which summed up upright bass what would it be? Not necceseraly a famous bassist's album or the flashiest playing. Just examples of how UB fits ( or artisticly melts) into a band.[/quote]

Scott Lafaro with Bill Evans, "Waltz For Debby" or "Sunday At The Village Vanguard".
I can't decide which one, or could it be Oscar Peterson "Night Train" with Ray Brown?
Or Isreal Crosby with Ahmad Jamal at the Pershing
Or maybe Christian McBride "Gettin To It"
Or Major Holley with Kenny Burrell on "Midnight Blue"
Or Oscar Pettiford
Or Whims Of Chambers etc.

Sorry I can't suggest just one, but what about a thread for recommended listening, or swaps?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='44061' date='Aug 11 2007, 12:06 AM'][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Ones-Blanton-Ellington-Brown/dp/B000000Z03/ref=sr_1_16/203-4522687-5327951?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1186787272&sr=8-16"]this[/url][/quote]

Link seems a bit flakey. This Ones For Blanton by Duke Ellington and Ray Brown. Just piano and bass. Recreation of some of the lost duets with Ellington and Jimmy Blanton, who revolutionised jazz bass playing in 1939.

Edited by bass_ferret

Guest Jecklin

I'm going to throw some things in from left field:

The album that made me decide there and then I was getting a doublebass was Dim Lit. the debut album by the modern jazz group Polar Bear (2004, Babel).

Tom Herbert is on bass with a very nice tone and very tasteful playing. Good lines to cop too.
Also the album boasts the drumming skills of Seb Rochford which is reason enough to give it a listen.

For something a little more out there get a copy of The Sealed Knot live at the Red Hedgehog (2006, Confront)

You'll spend a long time trying to work out exactly what sounds are coming from the bass and it serves as a good reference to extended techniques on the doublebass. Note if you aren't a fan of improvisation/texture/noise/modern composition then this may not be for you.
For those more inclined to adventures in sound the trio of Doublebass (Mark Wastell), harp and drums is very exciting stuff.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='44639' date='Aug 12 2007, 10:59 PM']I agree with alun, although, if you want a bit more (lots more) flash CHOPS by Joe Pass and NHOP is a close 2nd.[/quote]

Arse - that's the one I was going to suggest. I used to listen to and play a lot of Joe Pass in my jazz days, but my mind was most boggled by NHOP.

Hamster