Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger

3V17C

Ok, basically my entire bass rig (Trace GP11 Pre amp, Ampeg AP3550 Power Amp, Marshall 4x10/Marshall 1x15 cabs) is getting a bit old (so am I! :) ) and as I'm now gigging at least once a week I figure I need to get something I can both a bit lighter in weight and also something that I can rely on - so I'm vaguely looking at treating myself to a new rig sometime soonish.

Never really got on with Ampeg amps (although I do like the sound), the new Trace stuff is nice but I want something rack mountable, SWR is a possible option but...not having [i]tons [/i]of cash to sling about I've kinda been eyeing up the Gallien Krueger stuff (I've played through one of their heads many moons ago and liked the sound). I'd be looking at probably the RB1001-II head and not too sure which cab configuration as yet but probably a 2x10 and 1x15 or similar - maybe something from their Neo range.

The Bass Merchant seems to be the nearest dealer (although thats still an hour and a half away!) so I might well head down there and try a few bits out. But firstly, I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on here? My friend who used to work in a guitar shop said not to get GK stuff because people were [i]always[/i] returning it as faulty and I have read similar things eleswhere. Apparently though there was a dodgy batch in the country a while back with faulty components so perhaps that was the case? Also because of the bi-amping setup of the amps some people perhaps don't set things up properly causing damage?

Having said that, from looking at reviews etc on American sites people seem to absolutely love the GK stuff, even over Ampeg etc.

Any thoughts people.......?

peace

c

Does it have to be the latest range? IMHO you can't go past the 800rb if you are going for the GK sound and the reliability of those units is near legendary. For all they have a weird 300/100w biamp system, the 300w amp section into a 4ohm load is very VERY potent. They were still making them up until quite recently and they aren't a heavy amp. See if you can track one down and give it a try.

I've got an older 1000RB. Love it. Wipes the floor with the other amps I play, and since my band mainly kit-shares, I've tried most of the standards. And when people use my amp, they always praise the sound.

There was a dodgy batch of 1000RBs years ago, by all accounts - but they usually blew early, so if you find one with a couple of years on the clock it should be fine

I've had a 1001RBII for about 9 months now and I've done about 60 gigs with it in that time. Mine started blowing fuses on power up a couple of months ago so I sent it back for a warranty repair and it's been fine ever since. I had a Little Mark II before the GK and that was really good but the GK is better in my opinion. It's louder, fatter, punchier and it's a doddle to use.

[u]Plus points[/u]

Loud and punchy
Versatile - good range of tones
Well made
Easy to use
Runs cool
Not too heavy
Value for money
Fits nicely in a shallow rack (mine's an SKB 4u)

[u]Negatives[/u]

The fan is on the top so if you rack mount it, it'll need some space to breath
Connections are on the front so you have to route cables from back to front (if that makes sense)

I used to put it through an Epifani UL310 and it was fantastic and like a complete tit I changed to a Schroeder 410R which sounds better again but it's too heavy for me. If I actually manage to sell my cab, I'll be buying 2 Aguilar DB112's cos I used to have GS112s but they were a bit mid-scooped and apparently the DBs are better in the mid department.

I spoke to Mike at the Bass Merchant about the Aggies and also the GK NEO212, which I was also interested in and he didn't rate the GK neo cabs at all.

Hi Guys,

i've had a stupid amount of amp rigs in the last 3 years...... settled on a GKRB1001 2x10 combo, it's loud a hell tilts back and provided all the volume I need for stage monitoring.... our band goes through a RCF pa. Looking to add a RB210 extention cab for bigger gigs......

I'm loving the GK stuff !!

I tried a GK RB400 at a gig at Leonards in London once and it was love at first listen. I was playing a pair of 2x10"'s and an Eden WT800 had at the time. So I sold the lot and got a pair of RB700 1x15" combos instead and have NEVER regretted it. I've compared and contrasted the amps against Trace, Ampeg, Markbass, Epifani and the GK's won through on evenness, frequency response and clarity. The controls are centred at useful frequncies, the boost control literally dials in extra growl, its bloody loud and very noise free. I can also play a variety of basses through the combos and they all sound good. I could never do that with either the Eden or the SWR heads I owned previously.

I really can't fault the amps sonically although the wheels on the combos can be fragile over rough surfaces.

I've got a 1001RB-II and Neo212. Can't fault them, and I'll never play anything else now. Spent some time in the studio recently and the producer commented on how good it sounded. The cab is easy to shift on your own, is very loud, and crystal clear. Buy one now! :)

I had a GK combo - same head as the 400RB. Loved it but it got tatty and had to go.

Of late I've been using an 400RB Mk3 head I bought used - it was meant to be a short term thing until I got something more powerful and 'hi-fi' sorted. I got an Eden , didn't care for it - tried an EBS , didn't care for it , a Mark bass , didn't care for it - so I came up with the correct solution for me...and bought a new Mk4 !!

It's core sound is very me , it's facilities are handy and it didn't cost a packet. Be nice if it had a tuner out on the back too but the tuner in on the back of my Korg is knackered so I just link it at the front which looks a bit scruffy in the rack. That's the only crit I can think of.

I have an RB700/210 combo which I use for rehearsals and also as an on stage monitor for large gigs. I think in time I'll be running an extemsion cab and ditching my Ashdoown rig completely.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='44093' date='Aug 11 2007, 07:51 AM']I really can't fault the amps sonically although the wheels on the combos can be fragile over rough surfaces.[/quote]

I still jhaven't found anywhere that does replacement wheel assemblies! :)

[quote name='Sean' post='44784' date='Aug 13 2007, 01:00 PM']I still jhaven't found anywhere that does replacement wheel assemblies! :)[/quote]

Like this?... [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_rolle_fuer_rb_combos.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_rolle_fuer_rb_combos.htm[/url]

think they do just the wheels etc too.

peace

c