Why become a member? ×

new pickups and electronics for a Thumb Bolt-On

thumbo

I'm thinking about giving my Thumb Bolt-On a bit of surgery. It's always played so nicely but I've never really liked the EQ and the lack of a mid control. Has anyone got any suggestions as to which 3-band EQ and pickups might sound decent in this bass?

The first setup that sprang to mind, although I really don't know what these would sound like together, are Nordstrand jazz pickups because I've only heard great things about them and an Aguilar OBP-3 pre-amp. Does anyone have any experience with this combination?

cheers

I'd suggest changing the circuit first, and see what you think of the MEC pickups after that? As for electronics, I like Bartolini or Aguilar but its really a matter of taste. I've always heard good things about the Demeter on board, and there's Mr East's products...but I've never used them.

At least there is some choice these days!

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='44508' date='Aug 12 2007, 05:18 PM']I'd suggest changing the circuit first, and see what you think of the MEC pickups after that?.....BB[/quote]

Or the other way around.
My '97 Streamer LX VI came with the MEC 2 band and a pair of (SD) Basslines. It's no hotter in output terms than my Infinity SN IV (which shares the 2 band EQ), but it does sound warmer and "grittier" than any MEC pick-upped Warwick I've ever played.

After hearing the results of a JE J-retro in the USA Jazz I have (still for sale :) ), I'm going down the route of replacing pups and circuits in a couple of my Warwicks. I've purchased (just waiting for delivery) a Demeter pre off a fellow BCer to drop into my MEC equipped SSI and I'm in the process of upgrading the pups (whilst retaining the MEC curcuit) from Andy at 'Wizard' in my avatar bass, this has identical pups and curcuit to the Infinity range. If this is all done before you get sorted I'll try and give you some insight!

Wow - you're really spoilt for choice!

I just put the 2-band Aguilar preamp into my Warwick Streamer 6 and kept the original Bartolini pickups.

Keeps the original Warwick sound ..... but better! And I don't miss the mid-eq!

Apart from getting married, it's probably the best thing I ever did!

Guy

PS - only said that last bit cos the missus walked in!