Why become a member? ×

Markbass Dilema

nottswarwick

Hi All

Right, current rig is as follows:

SR5, into LittleMark II, into Markbass Traveler 102P, or Markbass Std 102HF, or both.

Now, I am not exactly "unhappy" with the rig - to be honest, it is really portable etc etc, and plently powerful enough I think, but I wonder if I might be missing something?

Sometimes it seems like I am playing thought a blanket, if you know what I mean. The sound is very good, but possibly there is some clarity missing etc.

So, just thought i would see if there was anyone who has used the MB stuff, and who perhaps had the same thoughts, and found something else to suit them?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by nottswarwick

I found the Marbass stuff (LMK and SA450) instantly appealing they gave you an instant hit of what you 'thought' you wanted. However, in a gigging situation I found that they struggled to cut through the mix (not lack of volume just presence). Like you I didn't dislike the Markbass sound but I found myself referring back to past rigs.

I sold both and bought a Thunderfunk, which has been a grower... in isolation without a band it didn't appeal immediately, unlike the MB, but in a gigging situation it always delivers. It has grown on me and though I wonder what other gear (Aggie, Eden, Epifani etc) would have been like I think it'll be a keeper.

I have just rocked it at home for 15 mins - just the small cab, direct into the LMII. Sounded great, the Jazz was full and deep. the SR5 honky and versatile, deep to cutting.

What am I on about then ? I am not unhappy, just curious. At the end of the day, I always have PA support anyway and DI with a radial JDI, so perhaps I am wittering about nothing??

Have you also changed cabs and bass almost at the same time?

I found that I'd changed amp, cab and I was using a different bass to my regular gigging instrument and it threw my perception of the sound that I expected/wanted. Try starting with one constant (a bass you know/like the sound of) and go from there, otherwise you could end up chasing your tail!

Just speaking from recent experience... it may be you just have another bout of GAS :)

Hey chris I was having a few thoughts about my sound awhile ago. The ACG really has alot of clarity and beautiful almost fretless top due to the pre-amp and after trying the bass through a few different amps I thought the markbass was abit lacking in top and clarity even though it has alot and does give everything else a run for its money.

I was suggested trying full valve. I never really found full valve to be totaly my thing and the weight and cost didnt seem to justify that added warmth. So I started looking at valve pre. The trace V-type was really nice but lacking clarity in comparisson o the markbass I thought. But then I remembered playing a Mesa Walkabout a long time ago when I started playing and my obsession started again got one off ebay and I couldnt be happier.

The mesa has alot of clarity really brings out the top and warmth of my bass and cuts through really well live. Plus its only 12lbs so not too much of an increase in weight and sounds stunning only puts out 300w or 180w into the single cab I have but I havent needed it to go abouve half way yet thats how well it cuts through.

Might want to have a look at the new valve pre markbass, and also eden I was very tempted by some of the eden offerings.

Im also considering changing to some 10.5 omni BFM cabs just to try and get that extra clarity and range some more.

Hope that helps sorry its abit of a long one but wanted to say why I made the move properly.

[quote name='Sugden' post='44383' date='Aug 12 2007, 11:21 AM']Hey chris I was having a few thoughts about my sound awhile ago. The ACG really has alot of clarity and beautiful almost fretless top due to the pre-amp and after trying the bass through a few different amps I thought the markbass was abit lacking in top and clarity even though it has alot and does give everything else a run for its money.[/quote]
The reason why Bernie also distributes EBS is because he found it is the stuff that works best with his basses and it was not available in the UK. There is a synergy between basses amps and cabs and conversely some basses sound sh*t with some gear. Thats why so many people just use Fender into Ampeg - they know it works. The more exotic the bass and amplifier the more difficult it is to match them.

I had a bit of the same problem running my rig (Ibanez SR405 into LittleMark II into their back ported 4x10 cab), then I bought a BBE Sonic Stomp, through it into the effects loop and it instantly fixed the problem.
Try to get your hands on one to try it out, as it would probably be the cheapest fix.

I've never been impressed with the MB cabs-tho I DO love my LMII. IT sounds great into the Bergantino NV610 AND the Aguilar GS112 & EV 1x15" - IMHO....try another cab! the BBE option is another route.....But I've been astounded by the CLARITY of the NV610-No tweeter-still as clear as a bell. But not 'modern' sounding at all...just clear bass....even dirty, clear bass-if U know wot I mean.

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='44398' date='Aug 12 2007, 12:15 PM']I was thinking that maybe a different cab would be the first route to try.[/quote]
Good move. Make it a [b]Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10[/b]

and you'll rediscover all your lost clarity, still have a seriously lightweight rig ...and frighten yourself half to death with how loud it is. :wacko:

[url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com"]www.billfitzmaurice.com[/url]

If you don't want to build it yourself, I can put you in touch with a man wot can.

Edited by Oxblood