Why become a member? ×

So I have a little money to spare...

kevcooke

And I really feel like doing something with it... only around £150.

I like the idea of having some kind of compressor. Any good rackmounted tube compressor/preamps in this price range?
The EBS Multicomp pedal has also caught my eye again.

Wireless doesn't really appeal to me... In-ears don't really appeal...

I play in a band, and play solo. At the moment I have an Ashdown ABM300, Warwick 211pro, Yamaha TRB1006, a vampyre NT5 on the way, a Boss RC-50 loop station, Boss Tu-2 tuner.

I also have a Marshall Jackhammer, and Ashdown Drive Plus but don't use them because they are both pretty crummy.

Any ideas anyone?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='44489' date='Aug 12 2007, 04:32 PM']Assuming you don't already have custom moulded ear protection![/quote]

That crossed my mind.... I've got some ER-20s at the moment, they are ok but obviously not amazing. Thing is, I'm scared to spend that much on earplugs because they are so easy to lose :s

I've got serious (Basschat-fuelled) GAS - have spent a fortune so far this year!

The spend that has best motivated/inspired and improved my playing has been watching other gigs and meeting other great bass players.

Your gear sounds great already. I suggest blowing £150 on seeing some great gigs and sharing a beer with some inspirational players. And if there's anything left when you've finished - donate it to Basschat!

Buy yourself a cheap-but-good fretless, something like a Johnson J-bass. You'll pay around a ton for it, it will do wonders for your playing AND your listening, and if you get fed up with it you can eBay it and get £50 back later.

Of course, there's always the risk that it will convert you completely and you'll end up selling everything to fund an outrageously expensive boutique fretless. [i]C'est la vie.[/i]

[quote name='kevcooke' post='44495' date='Aug 12 2007, 04:40 PM']That crossed my mind.... I've got some ER-20s at the moment, they are ok but obviously not amazing. Thing is, I'm scared to spend that much on earplugs because they are so easy to lose :s[/quote]

Most moulds can be ordered with either a string attached or a loop to fit some sort of device to keep em safe. I had the option but didnt get the strings in the end. I am bizarrely trusting my grey cells not to forget what I did with them when I take them out with me!

I guess I could use your reply to my advantage and say "What would you rather lose first? Your plugs or your hearing?" ;o)

[quote name='kevcooke' post='44481' date='Aug 12 2007, 04:15 PM']And I really feel like doing something with it... only around £150.

I like the idea of having some kind of compressor. Any good rackmounted tube compressor/preamps in this price range?
The EBS Multicomp pedal has also caught my eye again.[/quote]

The Multicomp is a brilliant pedal, I love it to bits. It's well worth every penny IMO.

You could also buy a cello bow. If you wanted to.

I have a H&S Sequoia 6 string fretless which I'm actually thinking about selling.

Dood, good point :)

I've tried using a bow before... wasn't too keen on the idea

I swapped out the stock Sovtek valve for a Groove Tubes GT12AX7-m... it sounds the sex

I've got some home recording equipment so I'm actually thinking about buying a pair of studio monitors instead of using my PC speakers, and getting that Behringer 2 channel tube compressor...

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='44489' date='Aug 12 2007, 04:32 PM']Assuming you don't already have custom moulded ear protection![/quote]
[quote name='setekh' post='44522' date='Aug 12 2007, 06:17 PM']+1[/quote]
+2 :)

If you do regular live work I'd go for a half decent DI box / preamp. Something like the Bass Attack pedal would use less than half of your £150, stick the rest away for something else. I've used my Bass Attack pedal with 3 or 4 different amps and it made every one of them better than it did without.

[quote name='KevB' post='44820' date='Aug 13 2007, 02:28 PM']If you do regular live work I'd go for a half decent DI box / preamp. Something like the Bass Attack pedal would use less than half of your £150, stick the rest away for something else. I've used my Bass Attack pedal with 3 or 4 different amps and it made every one of them better than it did without.[/quote]

Also crossed my mind but I'm really happy with the DI out on my ABM300

[quote name='kevcooke' post='44862' date='Aug 13 2007, 03:50 PM']Also crossed my mind but I'm really happy with the DI out on my ABM300[/quote]

Know what you mean. I was happy with the DI out on my Trace (and it's still the final out to the desk in my current setup) until I stuck the bass attack in front of it, wouldn't play live without it now.