Why become a member? ×

Ebow's

ARGH

I'd also like to know how well they work with 'the low strings'?

and why hasn't a bass pickup version of the 'sustainer' pickups as used by the likes of Mr Vai, been created for the bass? - Probably the afore mention low frequency strings issue?

I've used one on and off for a few years. It will drive the low strings, but it takes a bit of practice to get the angle/distance right, and sometimes jumps to the octave harmonic. This is a one take improvisation recorded with my Cort Curbow and Ebow in 2005...

[url="http://www.alunvaughan.com/hopesandfears.mp3"]Hopes And Fears[/url]

I'm hopping between the low E and the C strings throughout (the occasional slap noises are the Ebow hitting the strings). Most of it is the normal setting, then it switches to the harmonic setting at around 1:06 . It was recorded direct with some delay added afterwards.

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='dood' post='44570' date='Aug 12 2007, 08:12 PM']I'd also like to know how well they work with 'the low strings'?

and why hasn't a bass pickup version of the 'sustainer' pickups as used by the likes of Mr Vai, been created for the bass? - Probably the afore mention low frequency strings issue?[/quote]

It has

Pete steele has one in his Fernandes Bass,but is HUGE!

Ebows sound nice on bass, especially with delay (I actually found a great sound by putting it through my Discombobulator too on a slow attack setting, sounds awesome :huh:). But they take a lot of getting used to. I have to tilt it at about thirty degrees to the side to get the strings to vibrate (I often use hammer-ons as well to get it going a little quicker). Also it gets seriously loud near the pups (but that's to be expected).

Great tool if you get the hang of it though :)

I borrowed one from a guitarist in our tribute band had I really struggled with it on bass. On guitar it's fab but it doesn't seem to have the ooomph to get the heavy strings going at a reasonable distance. I had lots of fun on the D & G strings though and slurs are definitely the way forward here. Can't say I have much "real" use for one as a full time Duck Dunn impersonator!!

• 2 weeks later...