Why become a member? ×

Strings for under £3 a set

stingrayfan

You'd be amazed that there aren't that many string manufacturers around and quite a few strings on the market are made identically in the same factory with the packaging (and the price) being the only difference...

I thought £7 for some Hartke strings on eBay was cheap, I'd go for it and just try them out. The days of strings that wouldn't go in tune and kept snapping are pretty much behind us.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='44687' date='Aug 13 2007, 07:44 AM'][b]I thought £7 for some Hartke strings on eBay was cheap[/b], I'd go for it and just try them out.[/quote]

I did as well, and was pleasantly surprised with the Hartke strings. Compared well to their D'Addario equivalents!

Edited by Hit&Run

Why? Its not like stings are dear unless you go for top end. And its not like you have a £50 bass! I guess if you change for every gig it might be worth it if they sound OK. I always have a spare set of what I use otherwise if you break one you could end up putting a string on thats completly at odds with the rest.

Strings and leads are two vastly under rated aspects to getting a good sound.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='45057' date='Aug 13 2007, 10:57 PM']Why? Its not like stings are dear unless you go for top end. And its not like you have a £50 bass! I guess if you change for every gig it might be worth it if they sound OK. I always have a spare set of what I use otherwise if you break one you could end up putting a string on thats completly at odds with the rest.

Strings and leads are two vastly under rated aspects to getting a good sound.[/quote]

Completely agree... I've spent nearly £40 on sets of boutique strings (which are well regarded by some on this forum) and they were toneless tug hawsers! Conversely I've spent half that and gotten very decent strings. However, a regular supply of good strings at £3 - £7 per set isn't to be sneezed at!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some super cheap Alice strings on ebay, thoguht they be good for restringing basses for people who asked me to teach them and turn up with some attic find. Two sets for £7, the D string from both sets just buzzed, all on its own like fret buzz, but with no fret touching, tried both on a couple of basses, gave up on them. Lesson learned there.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='45057' date='Aug 13 2007, 10:57 PM']I always have a spare set of what I use otherwise if you break one you could end up putting a string on thats completly at odds with the rest.[/quote]

Using rotosound trubass on my main bass gauges 115-100-75-65 , no chance of me breaking these anytime soon

I bought 5 or 6 sets of Rosetti strings off E-by-gum-bay for £25
and four sets were useless the E strings had loose or broken cores and buzzed
got a refund and now use the cheaper Pink Rotosound 45-105 sets for about £10 delivered

• 1 month later...

Well they sounded bright through my brother's Trace BLX combo although I did
have to re-tune after about an hour or so. Unfortunately I'm not gigging now so
for the occasional jam and recording session they'll do ...
Don't think I would use them on my Musicman I'll stick with Ernie B's on that...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='49257' date='Aug 22 2007, 11:59 PM']Two sets for £7, the D string from both sets just buzzed, all on its own like fret buzz, but with no fret touching, tried both on a couple of basses, gave up on them. Lesson learned there.[/quote]

the outer coil has come loose from the inner core... not good...