Why become a member? ×

Gig/trouser scenario!

3V17C

ok so had a gig on Saturday at the local biker pub.

Hit the stage, straight into the first song and as per usual I start roaming about the stage and generally rocking out when suddenly... i feel a 'twang' and for some reason, my belt seems to have suddenly failed!

Now recently I've lost a bit of weight, so my strides are actually a size too big for my now somewhat scrawny frame and they're baggy combats with large side pockets full of all manner of gravity assisting ballast in the form of keys, lighter, coins, wallet etc. Add to that the fact that the moth eaten boxers I have on underneath are about a hundred years old and with no elastic in them and I'm concerned! I can feel the whole lot starting to gradually lower and I just know I could be in trouble!

Luckily the song has alot of root A so keeping that going on the open string I hoist my trousers up as far as I can and waddle to the back of the stage to try to sort myself out while still playing. Its no good...its definitely a two handed job so I'm stood there in what might have looked like a classic rock pose with my legs wide apart but its actually the only way to prevent my troozers dropping while still playing! The drummer has sussed whats up and is cracking up, and the rest of the band are all looking round with puzzled expressions wondering why I'm rooted to the spot at the back of the stage instead of strutting around and throwing my usual shapes at the front.

Thankfully I do get to the end of the song with my modesty intact although I have to quickly grab the singers attention before we go straight into the next song as per usual. So I'm stood there on stage in a pub full of bikers fiddling about with my crotch area trying to sort out my belt which proves a difficult task even with two hands. I have to take my bass off to do it and I thought 'sod it' and announced to the pub over the mic what I was up to which at least did seem to amuse the gathered punters. After a few minutes of fiddling about I managed to remedy the problem (somehow the 'prong' of the buckle had got stuck behind the belt itself...) and I didn't have to fashion a makeshift belt out of gaffa tape or a guitar lead to survive the rest of the show.

Phew! To say I was relieved is an understatement! That could sooooo easily have been a very worrying incident indeed especially as I wear my bass high and there'd have been no way to cover my embaressment! :)

peace

c