Why become a member? ×

New Luthiers wanting feedback on their first bass!

warwickhunt

[quote name='BigRedX' post='45821' date='Aug 15 2007, 01:57 PM']Having had a look on both of their sites now, I'd be more inclided to go for a bass based on their Atum-Re design. There's potential to get an original take on the single-cut design for a bass there - the sculpted/rounded back looks very interesting (or is that just a trick of the finish?), rather than the more conservative but seemingly pleasing to no-one shape that they've been proposing.

As ffor J-style basses IMO there's already too many. If I wanted one I'd either get a Fender or a Lakland or Celindar...[/quote]

Yeah I like the Atum-re shape too .. Looks more "designed" and together ...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='45821' date='Aug 15 2007, 01:57 PM']Having had a look on both of their sites now, I'd be more inclided to go for a bass based on their Atum-Re design. There's potential to get an original take on the single-cut design for a bass there - the sculpted/rounded back looks very interesting (or is that just a trick of the finish?), rather than the more conservative but seemingly pleasing to no-one shape that they've been proposing.

As ffor J-style basses IMO there's already too many. If I wanted one I'd either get a Fender or a Lakland or Celindar...[/quote]

The Atom-Ray does indeed have a rounded/bowl back.

I got a bit bored, so modifed it a bit

Basically, I'd remove the plate, add two soapbars to it and if you look closely, I've trimmed a bit off the top horn.

I was debating whether to extend the bottom a little bit as well, but for now, Lo and Behold my brilliant skills at photoediting:

[attachment=1876:Copy_of_KS001.jpg]

For those who said that for Jazz shapes they would go for other builders, if i wanted what i consider a random 'rock' shape i would go for an explorer or maybe a buzzard, perhaps a BC rich lol.
As for the Atum-Re design, who can honestly say that they'd use that in one of their musical projects??
The only people i could think who might use them would be quirky bands like The Flaming Lips, and how many bands like that are about (doesn't they're bass player use a P-Bass?!)

I would argue that, on the most part, bass players ARE slightly more conservative, not always obviously, but usually.

Si

I would rather play this, seems to be a similar shape but more researched and refined. I'd probly own one of these if you didn't have to play them by your knees to make them look cool lol

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='48249' date='Aug 21 2007, 12:14 PM']As for the Atum-Re design, who can honestly say that they'd use that in one of their musical projects??[/quote]

I'd have one in a flash if it played and balanced nicely.

Edited by BigRedX

As requested here's an overall view of the guitar version of the 'possible' bass outline. There would need to be a lot of revisions to make it as a bass but all thoughts and comments are being considered and it'd be nice to think that as a community we had some influence on a new bass.

This may well take shape sooner rather than later as one of the guys has definitely developed a bit of a bass habit and at the rate he's learning my bands basslines he may well be depping for me if I fall sick at some point in the near future!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='44915' date='Aug 13 2007, 05:12 PM']Krozka Sharpe Guitars (http://www.ksguitars.com/) are just kicking off their brand of guitars, marketing is taking off and they have lots of interest in their range of 6 stringers. I had a good old chin-wag with the guys down there and it transpires they are developing their first production bass. They have certain aesthetics that they feel have to be incorporated to keep the bass in line with their guitar range but welcomed the idea of input from the bass community, hence this thread.

Now the good bit...

The body is likely to be pretty much a version of their 'Raider' guitar (below), headstock will likely be a reverse 4 on a side design (upside down Jazz, my words not theirs) and the fingerboard is open to debate depending upon final body wood selection (possibly Alder or Sycamore). It is likely to have a tear-drop pickguard (a la MM) with a PJ pup configuration with controls rear-mounted, placed similar to the guitar below.

Comments, suggestions and insight into the proposed bass would be greatly appreciated. It would be helpful to them if you could explain why you think something is good or bad and a brief insight into your main gigging bass so that they can weigh up the comments. Who knows... a name check for Basschat might be in order!

[/quote]
Use soapbar or humbuckers.They'll suit the shape better.

Thanks for posting a full pic of the bass. Now I can see the headstock as well the body shape makes more sense. While this sort of works for a guitar, I think that the ammount of modification needed to make this work as a bass with the longer scale length is going to be too much and it will always be too much of a compromise between what is practical and playable and what matches the look of the guitar version.

I'm somewhat perplexed by the need for the bass to share some of the design/looks of the guitar. The model you've shown here has nothing in common looks-wise with the other two guitars shown on their web site, and I still think that if the bass does need to follow one of the guitars for looks then the Atom Ray/Atum Re would be a fair more stylish starting point. However since they've been able to come up with three very different-looking guitars they shouldn't be any reason why they could design a similarly unique bass.

Whatever does got decided in the end I too would be interested in try out whatever bass they do come up with. I would also be interested to hear more about the design ideas they have if that isn't giving too much away for an instrument that is still only at the design stage.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='51906' date='Aug 28 2007, 07:43 PM']I have three words: Balance, balance and balance! That bodyshape and headstock look a recipe for disaster in a bass version...

Alex[/quote]

Good point Alex, that is the one thing that I've discussed with them!

Think Thunderbird... great bass I'm sure but horrendous balance issues.

The Warwick Thumb is a personal bugbear of mine for the importance of strap button positioning or horn length (stop sniggering at the back), as I never could get away with how far away that first fret was.

Edited by warwickhunt