Why become a member? ×

Some expert advice please......

bassfan

Hi all,

As a newbie to the site I would first like to say hi!!!

But, I am also after some expeert advice. I am looking to upgrade my Combo Amp that I have been practising on from a Marshall MB30 to something with a bit more punch that I could practise and poossibly use for small gigs.

I have looked around the net and various shops. I have a budget of 300 ish.

I am thinking about the SWR Working Pro 10... Are they any good?

Can anyone recomend me anything else to me that is any good as an all rounder?

Hi Bassfan, welcome aboard!

To start with, let me say I have no personal experience of the WorkingPro stuff. I am an SWR user myself, but at the other end of the scale (750x, Goliath & SoB).

But, unless we know a little more about the style of music your into, we wont be able to make much of an informed response. For example, a 1x10 combo will not really cut it in a loud rock band, even if it is DI'd through the PA as any half decent drummer will drown it out. However, it works perfectly in an acoustic situation.

If I was you, I'd be looking around for some second hand stuff, as £300 will buy you a lot of amp these days. Stretch your budget a little further, and you can be looking at some serious kit that will be capable in all but the largest gig situation.

[quote name='JPJ' post='45005' date='Aug 13 2007, 09:01 PM']If I was you, I'd be looking around for some second hand stuff, as £300 will buy you a lot of amp these days. Stretch your budget a little further, and you can be looking at some serious kit that will be capable in all but the largest gig situation.[/quote]

+ 1 on that. Why not move further down the forum to the items for sale section. Loads of stuff in there well within your budget. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Johngh

Wot they said!

Watch the various appropriate forums for a while and get a feel for prices and various recommendations/horror stories. Second hand will get you more bang for your buck and I'd be happier buying from an established member (there are a few of us on here who change gear more often than... things that we should change more often) rather than chancing my arm on eBay.

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated...

I was looking for a good all rounder about 100W nothing too heavy for in the house and some small gigs - the wife will be even more annoyed with anything louder!!! :)

I'll watch the boards !!!