Why become a member? ×

Where do you find your bargains?

john_the_bass

....not that I'm asking you to give anything away of course, but where do you typically look for your bargain buys?
I've had one or two successes on ebay, but haven't really come across anywhere else for good second hand buys other than this 'ere website and it's community of happily trading members!

I fancy a 70s Fender, probably a P bass, before they hit crazy money and I don't really know where to look other than to keep searching ebay in case something pops up. Don't really want to go down the vintage dealer route and pay vintage dealer premium.

Any suggestions? I'm a few months off buying one, but at least it gives me something to aim for!!

I use this place, although I've sold a couple of old basses in eBay (including a 1960's Hofner President - what was I thinking?!?).

I'm always tempted by some of the stuff on sale on Talkbass, particularly with the £ being so strong against the dollar at the moment. It kinda gets to the point where if you're buying an expensive bass, it's still much cheaper to factor in a £250 airplane ticket and collect it from the seller yourself.

Mark.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='45160' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:01 AM']....not that I'm asking you to give anything away of course, but where do you typically look for your bargain buys?
I've had one or two successes on ebay, but haven't really come across anywhere else for good second hand buys other than this 'ere website and it's community of happily trading members!

I fancy a 70s Fender, probably a P bass, before they hit crazy money and I don't really know where to look other than to keep searching ebay in case something pops up. Don't really want to go down the vintage dealer route and pay vintage dealer premium.

Any suggestions? I'm a few months off buying one, but at least it gives me something to aim for!![/quote]

My bargain buys are usually hunted down with meticulous and almost anal fanaticism. (Is that actually a word? - and no, that doesnt mean being fanatical about bottoms either lol..)
I will sit and hunt the internet / magazines / ebay / BC for the best price and lean on dealers till I get what I want. Those who crack pretty much get my business again! ;o)

As for the 70's bass, I know it has been discussed to the nth degree; I couldn't afford the 67 P Bass I dreamt of, so went down the reissue route instead. 'Stag's mate owns a 74 P bass that looks just like my reissue. I'd love to A/B the two, just to see how close the reissue is. (oh.. and to see if a little mojo rubs off on to mine!!)

cool cool - all good, keep em coming
as far as the 70s P bass goes - I can't honestly say how much investment value is left in a bass like that at the prices they are at these days, but i fancy the idea of getting an investment bass rather than one that looks like a 70s one. If that makes sense.
I would quite happily have a 70s RI jazz - for the 70s looks, but i'd quite like a proper 70s p - if that makes sense.

If you're prepared to be methodical and patient, then eBay simply can't be beaten.

For every 100 or 1000 sensible listings that gain sensible bids, there will be one where the product is mis-spelt, or badly described, or timed to end at a ridiculous moment (my latest Ricky finished at 9:58am on a Sunday ... no one else was awake to trump my final bid), or whatever. If you're ready and waiting, research already done, funds at hand, then you can cash in.

Thinking things through helps a lot. If you want a vintage Hagstrom, don't just do a search on eBay in the UK. Try looking for an eBay site in Sweden, or use eBay in Germany. There will be more Hagstroms there than here, and they'll be less valued by the locals and therefore cheaper to us. Substitute Eko/Italy or Dynacord/Germany ... you get the idea.

Similarly, if you're buying/selling high-value guitars and basses, think about the target market. It won't take long to work out that you should BUY during the summer and just before Xmas, and SELL in spring and autumn.

Any further advice needed, or shall I just bill you now?

:)

I did quite well on my recent acquisition of a 76' Musicmaster for £200 (in need of a little work) in the back of a little shop in Beccles after it was brought to my attention by some nice chaps on this very forum that there was one there waiting for a loving home!

New stuff bargains, now thats what interests me. I used to think Sound Control when it was the Academy Of Sound was very very reasonable on price for new stuff but now its not as good...

Edited by Stag

Go and join Freecycle (www.freecycle.org) - it's basically a mailing list where people advertise the stuff they don't need anymore for free. I've had a pair of speakers, a 19" monitor, a coffee table and a 2-seat sofa off there recently, all locally, and all for nothing! :)