Why become a member? ×

"Do you know Wonderful Tonight?"

Old Horse Murphy

I think that the Van Morrison song you are referring to is "Moondance". Used to do that one at an open mic/jam session in Portsmouth. It was always totally different depending on who you were playing with. I just winged it.

I played a gig a few weeks ago with a stand-in guitarist, as our regular guy was away somewhere. We had only had one rehearsal but that didn't stop one punter from repeatedly requesting "Sweet Child of Mine". We played an approximation of it at the end of the set and the guy seemed happy enough.

I like the insurance idea. Maybe you could mark out the stage area with striped tape like they do in factories and put health & safety warning signs up everywhere.

[quote name='Tengu' post='45993' date='Aug 15 2007, 07:02 PM']I like the insurance idea. Maybe you could mark out the stage area with striped tape like they do in factories and put health & safety warning signs up everywhere.[/quote]

We have 4 rope lights that we lay out across the floor infront of teh band whenever we don't have a real stage. That helps delimit the "band's" area from the punters' area :)
It works most of the time :huh: Not with posh drunks, of course :huh:

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='45922' date='Aug 15 2007, 04:59 PM']A sign hung near the stage like this helps:

"All song requests must be submitted on a fifty pound note.
The band reserves the right to substitute any requested song for one with some of the same notes in it."[/quote]

I like that...

how about

"The band reserves the right to play any song in the style of Eric Morecambe... all the right notes, not neccesarily in the right order" :)

Richard

• 1 month later...

Last gig we were pestered for Led Zep and Pink Floyd .. We are a Rockin' folkn' barn dance band so it was kinda tongue in cheek, I think ..
Still my new Zoom FX thing has a great distortion setting so they got a verse of Whole Lotta Love riffs played on a distorted bass and drums with gaps for the words done in a Hugh Grant accent ..
"Oh I say you need coolin' Baby I'm really not foolin' don't you know" etc

and a chunk of the Money 7/8 bit :)

Sometimes I wish they'd be more inventive with the heckling :huh:

Edited by OldGit

When I played in a Beautiful South tribute band, one club owner asked me if we played any rock tunes as well. Like what I asked, well Led Zep, Purple said the goon. No, we are a Beautiful South tribute band, well, you must play other stuff as well replied the goon. At that point I wanted to throttle him. :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='69047' date='Oct 3 2007, 01:20 PM']When I played in a Beautiful South tribute band, one club owner asked me if we played any rock tunes as well. Like what I asked, well Led Zep, Purple said the goon. No, we are a Beautiful South tribute band, well, you must play other stuff as well replied the goon. At that point I wanted to throttle him. :)[/quote]

BEAUTIFUL SOUTH?...God man what were you thinking?...come the revolution they will be first against the wall.

I played at a wedding once and we told the guests that if there were any requests, we'd see if we could play them.
A bloke came to the stage and said,

"Can you play That's What You Are?"

We band members, aged between 18 and 50, looked at each other in confusion and the leader replied "we'll see what we can do".
None of us knew the song or even recognized it so when the bloke came up again, the band leader said...

"Do you know who the artist is?"

"It's a man singing, that's all I know"

"Can you sing a little bit of the song to see if it jogs our memory...?"

"I only know the 1st line......."

"Unforgetable, THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE!!!"

Classic :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='69156' date='Oct 3 2007, 05:00 PM']That's our usual comeback when someone shouts it.

'My old man's a dustman!'

'Is he really?'

etc.[/quote]

Hey come on, you do play [url="http://www.peterdonegan.com/"]"Electric Skiffle"[/url] - I'd have thought that was a must for every gig :)

Edited by OldGit

"Hey lads, can you play Over The Hills and Far Away?"

Snappy answers on a postcard ...

The brilliant Biggles Wartime Band had a good story on this theme. A drunk comes up to the band between numbers:

"Excuse me lads, can you play "Blossom Arsehole"?

"Dunno, who's that by?"

"Elvis Presley", says the drunk, "it were one of his biggest hits".

Much scratching of heads amonst the band. "Can you sing the first couple of lines?"

"Well Blossom Arsehole whats wrong with me. I'm itchin like a man on a fuzzy tree ..."

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='69067' date='Oct 3 2007, 02:03 PM']BEAUTIFUL SOUTH?...God man what were you thinking?...come the revolution they will be first against the wall.[/quote]

Yeah I know, I've since seen the light and left the band. They are very busy though, the band are a very tallented group of muso's, but there are only so many times you can play "Don't Marry Her" until it gets to the point where you want to throw yourself off a bridge ! :)

[quote name='Johngh' post='69936' date='Oct 5 2007, 11:54 AM']Yeah I know, I've since seen the light and left the band. They are very busy though, the band are a very tallented group of muso's, but there are only so many times you can play "Don't Marry Her" until it gets to the point where you want to throw yourself off a bridge ! :)[/quote]

Incidentally did you do the radio or CD version? or did it vary according to the gig?