Why become a member? ×

Should I get a 25 or 250Kohm resistance volume pedal for my bass?

1976fenderhead

I have an American Fender Jazz Deluxe. It's active, but I always end up using the passive jacks on amps because it's not hot enough to drive them on the active jacks... Same happens with the Punch Factory compressor, passive setting works best... So I think I should use the 250Kohm version for passive instruments, even though my bass is active but I'm not sure... Any advice? I should get an Ernie Ball pedal, any suggestions of different brands?

[quote name='Toasted' post='46383' date='Aug 16 2007, 12:49 PM']This is a question that there seems to be so much smoke and mirrors about... I dont ever have a grip on it.[/quote]

What do you mean?

That Visual Volume pedal just looks so gay... I'm not looking down at lights when I'm playing, I'm going with my ears!!!
I might buy it for the passive/active thing, but it looks a lot wider than an Ernie Ball so it wouldn't fit the space I have in my pedalboard... Anything wider than an EB Junior won't do... Does anyone have actual dimensions of the Visual Volume?

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='46414' date='Aug 16 2007, 01:24 PM']Apparently you can still use your ears with the Visual Volume pedal.

It will be wider than the EB[/quote]

I know i could, that's why I might still get it :) Still is gay though...
But have just checked reviews and it seems they're not that good anyway... And if it's wider, no chance...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='45289' date='Aug 14 2007, 03:57 PM']I have an American Fender Jazz Deluxe. It's active, but I always end up using the passive jacks on amps because it's not hot enough to drive them on the active jacks... Same happens with the Punch Factory compressor, passive setting works best... So I think I should use the 250Kohm version for passive instruments, even though my bass is active but I'm not sure... Any advice? I should get an Ernie Ball pedal, any suggestions of different brands?[/quote]

Replace the cheap Fender active circuit with an Audere or J-Retro. That will improve things a lot. Or use a 250k pedal to improve things a little.

Hamster

• 1 month later...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='46416' date='Aug 16 2007, 01:27 PM']I know i could, that's why I might still get it :) Still is gay though...
But have just checked reviews and it seems they're not that good anyway... And if it's wider, no chance...[/quote]

Not sure what reviews you have read.....
I have had one of these for years....and they are great...[i know plenty of people who love em..]
As for being gay...use it without the 'gay' lights on.
They also have a very smooth foot action.Which is great if you are wearing pink light weight slippers.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='70920' date='Oct 8 2007, 09:54 AM']Not sure what reviews you have read.....
I have had one of these for years....and they are great...[i know plenty of people who love em..]
As for being gay...use it without the 'gay' lights on.
They also have a very smooth foot action.Which is great if you are wearing pink light weight slippers.
Garry[/quote]

The reviews at Harmony Central...

Thanks for the replies, I ended up buying an Ernie Ball Junior with 250Kohm pot, I have it at the end of the chain because I tried it everywhere and that's where it sounded better. I only got it last week so haven't rehearsed with it yet, but at home it's been doing it's job with perfection...

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='71244' date='Oct 8 2007, 08:39 PM']The reviews at Harmony Central...[/quote]

Some reviews here...

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/visual-sound-visual/jul-07/29674"]http://www.bassplayer.com/article/visual-s...al/jul-07/29674[/url]

Some Punter's reviews here.
But this is for the older model that i have..[green led's :huh: ]

Harmony central is a bit mixed
[url="http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Visual+Sound/Visual+Volume+VV10+10th+Anniversary+Edition/1"]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...rsary+Edition/1[/url]

I must say i have had no problems in over 8 years of use with my one ...might have been lucky.
But the light thing...has come in useful for dep's on any show i have been doing..
The pit can be a dark an lonely affair..so some visual guide at what volume to play..can come in
handy...i just write the number onto the part for some kind of reference..
Then they wont have some lunatic MD screaming at them...when they have enough on there plate..!!

As for a difference in sound.. i cant say that i have noticed....
Maybe it's because i aint been using my ears.. :)

Enjoy the Ernie Ball.

Garry

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='71244' date='Oct 8 2007, 08:39 PM']I ended up buying an Ernie Ball Junior with 250Kohm pot, I have it at the end of the chain because I tried it everywhere and that's where it sounded better.[/quote]

What is your pedalchain? - it will make a diference where you place it depending on what's in the chain. Basically, you want it before any delay, chorus or reverb, but after other pedals.

Hamster

[quote name='Hamster' post='71380' date='Oct 9 2007, 12:42 AM']What is your pedalchain? - it will make a diference where you place it depending on what's in the chain. Basically, you want it before any delay, chorus or reverb, but after other pedals.

Hamster[/quote]

I have
comp > wah > fuzz > flanger > chorus > volume

I initially thought I'd have it somewhere before the fuzz coz that would basically control volume along with distortion level. In the end, I found it didn't work very well there, I wouldn't get an even increase in volume+fuzz, I'd get a high increase, than it would slow, all almost without fuzz, than fuzz in only in the last bit.

With volume in the end, I get fuzz all the time but I get an even volume change.

As for the chorus and flanger, it sounded much better after those too. I get this modulated signal that sounds very full and stable. With the volume pedal before, it sounded lifeless and the effects got all flaky without volume on full...

Edited by 1976fenderhead

[quote name='Hamster' post='71690' date='Oct 9 2007, 05:13 PM']You got to go with what your ears are telling you, but convention would put the chain comp > fuzz > wah > flanger > volume > chorus.

Hamster[/quote]

Why would you have flanger before and chorus after, they're the same type of thing...
I've read all kinds of conventions on this, you'll find a few different ones on this forum... It was actually more convenient for me, for the space I had in my pedalboard, to have it in the beginning, but my ears told a different story so I had to take everything out to put it in the end...