Why become a member? ×

J-Retro users, please read......

deksawyer

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I'd like to ask if there's any J-Retro users who currently don't have it fitted to a bass, who wouldn't mind contributing their specimen for a short term swap with my Audere jazz pre amp??

I like the Audere, it's very powerful, but I'd rather not spend the moola on a J-Retro just to try it and find I don't like it.

Here's a pic of the Audere and a link to their [url="http://www.audereaudio.com/"]website[/url].

cheers

D.

Edited by deksawyer

[quote name='Rumble' post='46051' date='Aug 15 2007, 08:34 PM']What is it about the Audere you don't like? This clips on the Audere site sound quite nice.

Does it have a passive bypass on it that still allows for PUP pan and tone control?[/quote]

I DO like the Audere, I can have a bright, clangy MM sound or a deep reggae dub sound by flipping a switch and turning a few knobs (the bartolini's I have fitted help) - but would just like to try the J-retro.

It doesn't have a passive bypass, so if the battery goes, so does your bass sound. However it does have the wonderful battery charge indicator, which informs you of the battery's state of charge when you plug a cable in. So you're unlikey have a battery go dead when gigging unless you plan to do a 10 hour stint.....

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='45367' date='Aug 14 2007, 06:34 PM']Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I'd like to ask if there's any J-Retro users who currently don't have it fitted to a bass, who wouldn't mind contributing their specimen for a short term swap with my Audere jazz pre amp??

I like the Audere, it's very powerful, but I'd rather not spend the moola on a J-Retro just to try it and find I don't like it.

Here's a pic of the Audere and a link to their [url="http://www.audereaudio.com/"]website[/url].

cheers

D.[/quote]

Nice Idea - maybe you would both be able to write a short review with your thoughts? I had a J-retro in my 1975 Jazz, but eventually made it passive again. I'd be interested to see what the audere was like.

Regards

Mike

Mike, I've recenty done exactly the same and on the evidence of last night I can say that I much prefer the straight forward passive sound. I recorded myself on 'passive bypass' just before taking the j-retro out and again after reinstalling the original control plate. For me, the different was too significant to ignore. Although I'll miss the ability to go 'active' at the flick of a switch, I have a punchier, growlier passive sound again. Don't get me wrong, the j-retro is a fantastic bit of kit if you want your passive bass to be active, but the passive bypass (which I was using more and more) just wasn't quite as pure as I wanted.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='45367' date='Aug 14 2007, 06:34 PM']but I'd rather not spend the moola on a J-Retro just to try it and find I don't like it.

cheers

D.[/quote]

So it would seem you were able to swap/borrow a Retro try, but if that doesn't come to pass for any reason, I'd be happy to lend you one, in any case.

As far as 'the moola' is concerned, if you look at my website, my returns policy allows for return within 7 days of receiving a unit for a full refund, less shipping (free in the UK), if you're not happy.

So although you have to part with the moola stuff, I can get an internet purchase refunded at the touch of a button, so little risk to you.

Cheers

John

[quote name='John-E-Retro' post='46768' date='Aug 17 2007, 10:32 AM']So it would seem you were able to swap/borrow a Retro try, but if that doesn't come to pass for any reason, I'd be happy to lend you one, in any case.

As far as 'the moola' is concerned, if you look at my website, my returns policy allows for return within 7 days of receiving a unit for a full refund, less shipping (free in the UK), if you're not happy.

So although you have to part with the moola stuff, I can get an internet purchase refunded at the touch of a button, so little risk to you.

Cheers

John[/quote]

Hi john

thanks for taking the time to respond.

I didn't mean to insult you by saying that I might not like it - by all accounts it's an amazing bit of kit and the build quality is meant to be out of this world.

If you're willing to lend me one, I'll take you up on this kind and generous offer. I'll drop you a PM in a minute.

I've not been in touch with BB2000 yet, so I've not organised anything with him.

cheers

D.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='46785' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:15 AM']Hi john

I didn't mean to insult you by saying that I might not like it - by all accounts it's an amazing bit of kit and the build quality is meant to be out of this world.

If you're willing to lend me one, I'll take you up on this kind and generous offer. I'll drop you a PM in a minute.

I've not been in touch with BB2000 yet, so I've not organised anything with him.

cheers

D.[/quote]

Certainly no insult taken, it's all very much about if something works for you, or not.

I'll check out your PM.

Cheers

John

cheers

D.[/quote]

Just one thing, I don't want to get in the way of BB2000 getting a look at your Audere, or a trade between you either, of course.

• 1 month later...

cheers

D.[/quote]

So I sent a loan Retro to you 3 weeks ago Derek, have you been able to try it?

Do you have any comments?

Cheers

John

[quote name='John-E-Retro' post='63956' date='Sep 22 2007, 10:36 AM']So I sent a loan Retro to you 3 weeks ago Derek, have you been able to try it?

Do you have any comments?

Cheers

John[/quote]

Hi John

sorry for the delay.

Yes, I've been able to try it, although very breifly.

First impressions were that it wasn't as bright sounding as the Audere, although I find this a good thing. Tonal adjustment seemed to be subtle, but it was high in quality & noise free. Build quality is very good and ease of fitting is excellent.

My cavity wasn't deep enough to take the battery and the J-retro, but it's a cheap Fender copy so I'm not too worried. I'll have a further play this weekend and get it back to you during the week.

Again, thank for letting me have the opportunity to try one of your units.

I've just bought a Wal, so replacing the Audere at this moment in time isn't gong to happen, but I'll be in touch again at some point.

Thanks again!

Derek.

[quote name='deksawyer' post='64128' date='Sep 22 2007, 06:54 PM']Hi John

sorry for the delay.

Yes, I've been able to try it, although very breifly.

First impressions were that it wasn't as bright sounding as the Audere, although I find this a good thing. Tonal adjustment seemed to be subtle, but it was high in quality & noise free. Build quality is very good and ease of fitting is excellent.

My cavity wasn't deep enough to take the battery and the J-retro, but it's a cheap Fender copy so I'm not too worried. I'll have a further play this weekend and get it back to you during the week.

Again, thank for letting me have the opportunity to try one of your units.

I've just bought a Wal, so replacing the Audere at this moment in time isn't gong to happen, but I'll be in touch again at some point.

Thanks again!

Derek.[/quote]

Very good Derek.

Don't forget that the bass control on the Retro is boost only, so in the centre click there is already around 6dBs of bass boost, which may sound less bright if you have the bass control there, as a starting point.

I guess the basic brightness of the Audere depends on the Z mode in use?

By all means try the retro some more and then please get it back to me.

(As you know I wasn't able to send you a demo unit and therefore sent a brand new piece)

Cheers

John