Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Magazine

Hamster

Guess what just plopped onto the doormat :)

A Rickenbacker 13 page special with a grinning Lemmy von Motörhead on the cover
Chats with Tony Levin, Robert Trujillo, Dave Peacock and Dave Farrell
Reviews of Blade B1 Tetra, SEI single cut, MM SR5 HS 30th Anniv, Vintage Icon basses
Article on recording bass on a budget
Usual helpful columns from Dave, Stuart and Steve

I'm off to put the kettle on :huh:

Hamster

The strange thing about BGM is that very few newsagents I've come across seem to stock it.

Stranger still is that I didn't even know BGM existed until I spotted just one copy on a newsagent's shelf when visiting the town I grew up in; Portstewart, a small seaside town on the north coast of Northern Ireland. There can't be that many bassists in Portstewart surely? I took out a subscription soon after.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='45750' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:55 PM']The strange thing about BGM is that very few newsagents I've come across seem to stock it.

Stranger still is that I didn't even know BGM existed until I spotted just one copy on a newsagent's shelf when visiting the town I grew up in; Portstewart, a small seaside town on the north coast of Northern Ireland. There can't be that many bassists in Portstewart surely? I took out a subscription soon after.[/quote]

I took out a subscription as well, well worth it and saves fannying about at the newsagents. The latest issue is a peach

[quote name='Machines' post='45756' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:58 PM']W H Smith usually has it - look very carefully, it's always behind something like Oboe Weekly and Sitar Times :) .[/quote]

I never used to see it in the shops, but my local branch of WH Smith stocks it now, so let's hope it's gradually becoming more visible.

Subscribers get their copies a week or two before it hits the shelves - mine arrived today.

Looks like a good issue, if I do say so myself!

Stu

[quote name='Machines' post='45756' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:58 PM']W H Smith usually has it - look very carefully, it's always behind something like Oboe Weekly and Sitar Times :) .[/quote]
Yup, and next to Mouse Mat World and Your Lawnmower.

I did have a subscription to BGM. It was a couple of months after my subscription ran out that I realised I wasn't getting it anymore. Obviously, they don't send out reminders or mine got lost in transit. Anyway, I took out a subscription to Bass Player and am happy with it. They also send timeous reminders.

I've just had my initial flip through to check the contents... blige, I bet Rickenbacker must be well chuffed with all that advertising.
The Sei looks gorgeous and it'll be nice to see what Tony Levin has to say, but by the time I've finished reading the mag I will know far more than I ever wanted/needed to about Rickies..!

[quote name='Alun' post='45965' date='Aug 15 2007, 06:11 PM']Anyone else's look like they slipped with the guillotine? The top centimetre or so of most of it is flapping about independently.

Haven't had a chance to read it yet but will do soon.

Alun[/quote]

Mine arrived looking like it's been kicked around a sorting-office floor and possibly reversed over by an artic. The spine's been broken in about 5 places and I'm not impressed.

Having said that, not being a fan of Rickys or anything resembling a Fender or Musicman, I guess there's not much I'll enjoy reading anyway in this issue. Roll on October.

[quote name='Krysbass' post='46036' date='Aug 15 2007, 08:12 PM']Mine arrived looking like it's been kicked around a sorting-office floor and possibly reversed over by an artic. The spine's been broken in about 5 places and I'm not impressed.[/quote]

Not possible - the sorting offices have been empty.

[quote name='Hutton' post='45882' date='Aug 15 2007, 03:36 PM']I did have a subscription to BGM. It was a couple of months after my subscription ran out that I realised I wasn't getting it anymore. Obviously, they don't send out reminders or mine got lost in transit. Anyway, I took out a subscription to Bass Player and am happy with it. They also send timeous reminders.[/quote]

I got an email reminder when my subcription ran out. Just came back home and looking forward to reading it at lunchtime tomorrow at work. :)

[quote name='2wheeler' post='46213' date='Aug 16 2007, 08:41 AM']Ok, so who is entering the advertised Bass Idol? (Just so I know who to cheer for :) )[/quote]Not me. If I want to blow £20 pointlessly, I'll go put it on England to retain the Rugby World Cup. :huh: