Why become a member? ×

Dave Hall effects

tredders

Hi all

I've been checking out the bass effects that Dave Hall is selling, and wondered if anyone here has any opinions on them? Basically, I'm looking for the classic Bruce Foxton / John Entwistle type overdriven sound, and it looks as though the purist would suit me.

I've read the review posted here, but just wanted a couple of opinions. If anyone has any sound clips, that'd be even better.

Cheers

Mark.

[quote name='Toasted' post='3512' date='May 21 2007, 11:38 AM']Mark.

IIRC DHA has a returns policy. Use it to your advantage! Dave is a great bloke to deal with. If you want to talk to him, send him a PM and ask him to give you a call. It's always a great experience.[/quote]

I'm interested too, does anyone have any soundclips of the Bass Purist?

Only problem is if I buy one of these I'll need a whole new power supply because I'm using a Diago Daisy Chain right now which only supplies 9v (not enough) or 18v (which would fry it) :)

[quote name='Pearl_Jammin' post='3557' date='May 21 2007, 12:43 PM']I'm interested too, does anyone have any soundclips of the Bass Purist?

Only problem is if I buy one of these I'll need a whole new power supply because I'm using a Diago Daisy Chain right now which only supplies 9v (not enough) or 18v (which would fry it) :)[/quote]

Email James: [email protected] He's working on a range of voltage converters for all voltage levels - I'm sure he could help you.

Tell him Joe sent you :huh:

[quote name='Timface' post='5408' date='May 23 2007, 10:20 PM']Hey MoJ (andy) whats the difference when you swap the valves?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42[/url]

Have a read through that changing the valves changes the tone, amount of gain warmth, grit etc.

I have a VT1 Purist I use it to add warmth to my sound ortho I may not need it for that shortly and I think it sounds great so Im going to keep it as a nice bit of drive and grit to my tone sure my band at home will benfit.

Edited by Sugden

[quote name='Timface' post='5408' date='May 23 2007, 10:20 PM']Hey MoJ (andy) whats the difference when you swap the valves?[/quote]

Hi Timface,
looks like sugden beat me to it.
Basically you either change the amount of drive you get or the tone,or both depending on what type(12AX7 or 12AT7 for example)or brand(Electro Harmonix,which is what Dave Hall fits as standard or Mullard,Bryce's favourite).
I did make the mistake of confusing which valve position related to which 'channel' in my VT2,so I now realise that it was the EH valve I was liking the tone of all along.
Been fun trying different valves though,if you dont mind spending a little time,and Im going to be swapping valves around again this eveing now I know whats what and have a more informed starting point!
Andy

[quote name='brycebites' post='7709' date='May 27 2007, 05:09 PM']Andy, what valves are you trying? FWIW I'm now using a NOS General Electronics 12ax7 in my VT1 Mk3 (the GT12ax7m in the Mk1). My amp still has Mullards in all 5 preamp positions. :huh:[/quote]

Ah,so you cant escape the mighty Mullard then? :)
Well,I asked Dave to fit some cryo's in mine,after some things I read on Bassworld posts regarding his 'Ice' range,and also what Watford Valves desribe them as too.
Initially I didnt see what all the fuss was about and was also excited to get experimenting too.As it happens I swapped the EH cryo's back in and am loving it. :huh:
Very bright indeed so not sure(bearing in mind your valve comparison sticky - something I based my choices on and found pretty accurate)that they'd be your thing.I do like a transparent and 'grindy' kind of tone.
When I can afford some I still want to try some Mullards just to see what they're like.Natural curiosity n all!
Did see some on Ebay kinda cheap but still dont have the money.May try a Groove Tubes remake or something.
[b]Brycebites[/b],how do you find the NOS GE?
Andy

Edited by MoJ

[quote name='MoJ' post='8005' date='May 28 2007, 11:28 AM']Ah,so you cant escape the mighty Mullard then? :)
Well,I asked Dave to fit some cryo's in mine,after some things I read on Bassworld posts regarding his 'Ice' range,and also what Watford Valves desribe them as too.
Initially I didnt see what all the fuss was about and was also excited to get experimenting too.As it happens I swapped the EH cryo's back in and am loving it. :huh:
Very bright indeed so not sure(bearing in mind your valve comparison sticky - something I based my choices on and found pretty accurate)that they'd be your thing.I do like a transparent and 'grindy' kind of tone.
When I can afford some I still want to try some Mullards just to see what they're like.Natural curiosity n all!
Did see some on Ebay kinda cheap but still dont have the money.May try a Groove Tubes remake or something.
[b]Brycebites[/b],how do you find the NOS GE?
Andy[/quote]

Hi,

I first tried Cryo valves after speaking to Watford Valves about the new Mullard remakes from GT and others. The remakes are made in China and are very poor and really nothing like the NOS. Beware there are many ebay sellers selling these as original Mullards.

I asked Watford valves what was the nearist new valve to an NOS Mullard, the answer was cryo. After I stopped laughing Derrick told me he did the same until he tried them, so he sent me some. I think they are very good and not unlike the old Mullard ECC83 I use in my own VT1-Purist.

BTW, cryo it not new as Mullard did it in the 60's, in fact Chris you may be using cryo valves already!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tredders' post='15297' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:09 PM']Timface

Any news on the sound clips mate?

Cheers

Mark.[/quote]

I have them!

Tim plays bass in our band so has to use a DHA pedal or he's out, only joking. We did them today and I will post them on the website in a few days.

Tim has a VT2-Dual-Custom-Bass-RM so it covers just about all of the tones available in the pedal and rack range.

Dave

[quote name='tredders' post='15681' date='Jun 11 2007, 04:05 PM']Cool - thanks.

I'll keep an eye on the website.

Mark.[/quote]

Hi,

DHA VT2-Dual-Custom-Bass-RM sound clips now on the website - www.davehallamps.co.uk thanks to Timface.

As the VT2-Dual-Custom-Bass-RM is the rack version of the VT2-Dual-Custom-Bass pedal and is the most complex rack we make it also covers all the features on all other pedals, so it can sound the same as any of them.

So, settings without EQ is the same as a VT2-Dual-Bass and settings on channel 1 only with no EQ, no clipping and no colour is the same as a VT1-Purist.

We have tried to do a range of settings that covers all the bass pedal types.

I look forward to your comments

Dave

• 1 month later...

Just realised that I never replied to my original post about DHA effects. I got hold of a VT1 Purist, and it is absolutely perfect for the kind of sound I was looking for. I didn't want an out and out fuzz sound (although the Purist will do that if you crank everything up) - what I wanted was that kind of Entwistle sound on Substitute, and it provides that by the bucketload.

The range of sounds is pretty broad, from warm, bluesy 'fattening' of the sound, right through to controllable overdrive. I play through it all the time now - totally suits the sounds I was trying to get.

Oh, and Dave is a top bloke to deal with too - at first I was being too conservative with the volume / input level / bass level and couldn't get any variation out of it. Had a couple of conversations with Dave, and he pointed me in the right direction. Very happy customer here.

Now, wonder what the VT2- Twin would sound like.... ;-)

Mark.