Why become a member? ×

What kind of bass player are you?

andy67

48 years old, male, been playing since I was 15 (took about 8 years off in the 80's-90's) but have never been much cop! Never get flash or technical.

I'm a folk/prog rock fan and hate blues and "poodle perm rock" Which is quite ironic considering that I play in an 80's glam/poodle perm covers band!

I have no desire to own a 5 or 6 string bass.......

Young ( dashing ) male 4 string full size bass

Plays in church band so not alot of heavy ( if any ) stuff.

Fingerstyle and slapper, only really use slap in house as might be perceived as a little unorthodox in church haha.

Also play Saturday nights in Glasgow at my churchs open air in Sauchiehall street if anyone fancies watching how its not done :)

Very amateur player but have plenty of years ahead of me ( i hope )

:)

5 stringer (most of the time). I believe in space in a piece of music, but also like to be heard 'cos there's a reason I picked that note/mode.
More than happy to sit on a groove.
Don't like 'widdly' guitarists / egotistical singers and have sacked a fair few in my time.
Also like to tinker with effects.... more and more.
Love valve amps and eye contact - especially when the drummer flashes you THAT grin, and you know that you've nailed the groove - priceless.

I'm home based and just 63; 4-string and finger-style. Once in a while I meet up with a friend who's really a folky guitarist, so obviously that feels limiting, 'cos I'm inclined play all sorts of stuff from Rock to Motown to blues, whatever catches my ear.

As a youngster I sang in church and school choirs and learned piano so I can read music. Now I've added tab ( the latter seems easier with the bass), but I mainly use my ears when listening to learn. Because you never hear it right first time, you have to do it again and again - more of challenge that way. Then in a random post, along comes a more advanced Basschatter and says (to someone else)" don't forget the twiddly rundown from the chorus...". Whaaat?!

May my hands fall into acid if I ever start slapping 'n poppin'.

No bass musical influences or brand loyalty, so I don't want anyone's particular sound or style. When I can play "Crossroads" as well as Jack Bruce's original, I'll be happy.

Balcro, or as BurritoBass would have it, Fat Sugar Hopkins.

21 years old, started playing when I was 12. Flea was my biggest influence back then but since I started college I broadened my horizons. I'm a big fan of players like James Jamerson and Pino Palladino; people who have a more melodic approach. I try and incorporate that into my playing when I feel a song needs it, but I mostly try and stay in the pocket with an interesting groove that's interesting for me and the audience. I can be flashy sometimes, but I'm not too big a fan of that. I like being the bass player, not the soloist.

I play just about every genre I can get my hands on. At the moment I'm playing some jazz, improv, rock, gospel, blues, punk... It's all good! I'm trying to be as versatile a player as possible; that seems a lot more important than how many notes I can play.

My playing is getting more and more simple every year I swear. Half the time I'm singing backing vocals so have to keep it that way, or I'm just content to underpin the band. It's great! I leave the widdling for when I'm at home with my guitar, piano or more recently violin.

That's not to say I wont bust out a solo if the guitarist breaks a string, but when we're playing together there's no need.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1110902' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:54 PM']So,am I the only person here who enjoys (or admits to enjoying) soloing? :)[/quote]

Maybe its because you're good at it.
Some soloists are great to listen to and you can't knock that.
I have done solo's in past but prefer to do something intricate as part of the song rather than a stand out solo spot.
I guess a lot depends on the style of music you play.
Soloing also suits certain styles of music more readily.

Each to their own I guess.
If everyone is happy doing what they do then that's all that counts in the end.

Cheers
Dave

Wow this thread's been going for a while.

I'm 46, used to play a lot in the 80's early 90's. Started out playing heavy rock/metal. Loved Geddy Lee, Steve Harris also the likes of John Gustafson. Used to play some of the working men's clubs around Leeds/Bradford with a less than competent singer, earned a few pounds but hated playing these places as it was all covers and not really the sort I would ever want to play if I had a choice. Also played with a couple of brilliant musicians (guitarist and drummer) who had the patience to put up with my lack of talent and help me improve.

Around this time read an article about John McLaughlin where he mentioned a book on scales and harmony which inspired me to learn music theory. Ordered the book from the local library (in those it's often take take months to get a book). When it arrived learned everything I could (except reading music unfortunately - still on my todo list) and even wrote my own lookup cards for everything I learned (and wrote software to replicate these later on in my life) - this was my most productive time musician wise.

Moved back south in the early 90's and formed a new band playing original Jazz Funk/Pop stuff, heavily into Stanley Clarke, Jaco, Jonas Hellborg and Mark King by now. Got tired of trying to "make it" and failing, also got married and started a family and decided time to try and actually make some money to support us, so put the bass down for a good fifteen years with occasional dabbling just to keep the fingers going whilst family and work took prime position. Playing again now, looking to try to create a little home recording studio sometime this year and start recording some music again.

I enjoy improvising (possibly because I play mostly on my own and possibly cannot keep a line going for very long without getting bored), I love playing chords, harmonics, occasional slap and soloing. I still enjoy laying down funky grooves and still love heavy rock (although now classed as classic rock :)). In my time I've gone from 4 strings to 6 to 7 to 8 string ERB's and now realising I'm most happy with 5 strings tuned E-C.

I'm always trying to improve myself but ultimately I'm an adequate musician with desire but no real talent or time to be better.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, I hadn't realised I'd written so much :)

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='Doddy' post='1110902' date='Feb 1 2011, 12:54 PM']So,am I the only person here who enjoys (or admits to enjoying) soloing? :)[/quote]

Personally, I hate soloing. I'm not a big fan of bass solos by anyone, but I absolutely detest doing them myself. Then again, there are solos and solos aren't there? There's the "Ladies and gentlemen, Big Geoff on bass..." eight bars of attention-seeking when the guitars and keyboards shut the feck up for a little while, and there's the Michael Manring/Vic Wooten several minutes of unaccompanied bass guitar.

It's the same when I speak though - I prefer to speak only when I have something worth saying. Sadly, my bass playing vocabulary is nowhere near as extensive as my spoken English... :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1111103' date='Feb 1 2011, 03:11 PM']Wow this thread's been going for a while.

Loved Geddy Lee, Steve Harris also the likes of John Gustafson.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, I hadn't realised I'd written so much :)[/quote]

John Gustafson - there's a very under-rated bassist who I had completely forgot about. I think he was one of the first to use / endorse WAL basses. ?

Was an interesting and familiar read so thanks.
Think a lot of us have been through similar stages as yourself throughout our bass playing careers

Dave :)

Edited by dmccombe7

All four types... Rock, Roll, Rhythm [i]and[/i] Blues. Don't slap, won't slap; & I ain't got the Funk.

No great fan of the 'solo' as it's too hit & miss, plus I don't see it as my real function... Which then begs the question "what do I see as my 'real' function?"

Simple.

They Rock, I Roll.

Pete.

Old (50 in less than 3 years, how did that happen?) jobbing covers band bass player. IT geek in real life and it probably shows in my attitude. Been playing bass for about 10 years.

I was brought up as a classical percussionist which makes me think that reading music and theory are fundamental... not that I'm any kind of expert at either.

I play 4-strings mostly but I can pretty much interchangeably play a 5 if it's needed. I actually started on a 5 for some reason.

Influences - a bunch of dudes from the 80s who nobody remembers and some from the 60s who we do. Why can nobody play like that any more?

I play covers and always have. It's about playing the right notes at the right volume in the right place most of the time. Talking about being a melodic/busy/basic/etc player has no resonance with me. I guess I am still learning. I don't know how to improvise and I can't play slap / tap / play with a pick / solo / sing. It would all be nice I suppose but I don't really care :) I really like MusicMan basses - that unfussy sound (proper bass).

I sound a bit negative.... I do enjoy it, honestly :)

Edited by thepurpleblob

Just turned 40, but a very young 40....
bedroom bass player of just over 1 year but dying to get out there. Play along with iTunes as much as I can but know there's no substitute for doing it properly.
Just need the confidence to brave a local open mic night.
Like the simple but effective stuff. I I can get some way to emulating Colin Greenwood, that'll do for me.

Edited by Cyrene

I'm 24, started playing bass age 18.
Fingerstyle and slap player. I started off like many others trying to emulate Flea, as he was one of the main reasons I got into playing.

I used to just play in my bedroom but a good friend asked me to step in "temporarily" in his power/thrash metal band, and I've been stuck there for the last few years. I really enjoy it and I think more than anything else it's helped with my timing and locking in with the drummer. I take inspiration mostly from Steve Harris, Martin Mendez and Colin Edwin as much as I can. We've done a few gigs recently, and I'm dying to get back on stage, I love it.

When I'm not playing with the band I tend to gravitate much more towards Motown stuff though, love Jamerson.

started off 6 years playing in a usual teenage rock band. Jump forwards to when i started uni two years ago, and since then it's been mostly jazz and funk due to a regular open jam session. Unfortunately, i've just discovered that all that freedom means i now get bored and restless as a rock bassist, which is quite annoying.

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1111594' date='Feb 1 2011, 08:46 PM']John Gustafson - there's a very under-rated bassist who I had completely forgot about. I think he was one of the first to use / endorse WAL basses. ?[/quote]

Yeah, I certainly remember him playing a Wal back in those days and it's possibly in part, due to him and Percy Jones playing Wal's I wanted one (well actually it was between a Wal and a pointy BC Rich for my first "proper" bass and the Wal won in the end :)).

Edited by purpleblob

I too am of the old variety ( 50 next year ) been playing bass since I was 14 ...so thats 36 years WOW! Started with a power pop trio- went into blue eyed soul etc... the 80s -they were the days!! Few big gigs- backing some big bands etc- Finally had it with the pro scene and put my bass away for years whilst I sorted my life and career out.

Now really enjoying bass - in a 7 piece soul band with great guys.

Influences- the normal Larry Graham- Bootsy- Pino- Jaco- Jamerson-sounded like them all at one time or another- now I think I sound like me. Got a bit of musical theory- can read a bit- backed a few `artistes` in my younger days.

Love music- I do the odd solo when asked- but dont really like to. Prefer fingerstyle to slap but probably as good at both. Am strangely drawn to the David Dyson style of hand muted Trebly Funk but wont use it on stage.

Love good drummers- cant play with bad ones. Cant stand keyboards filling in the mids and singers always soundcheck with no volume and turn up the level when performing- cant understand that one!!

Edited by thumperbob 2002

[quote name='purpleblob' post='1112419' date='Feb 2 2011, 02:00 PM']Yeah, I certainly remember him playing a Wal back in those days and it's possibly in part, due to him and Percy Jones playing Wal's I wanted one (well actually it was between a Wal and a pointy BC Rich for my first "proper" bass and the Wal won in the end :)).[/quote]

Yep same here with Percy Jones and Jon Gustafson and why I bought a WAL

Dave
:)

I aim to be like Tony Levin. Play the right thing for the piece. As such I only show off any chops if it enhances the piece (which is pretty much never). But that philosophy and a quick ear has meant that I can lend myself to lots of different styles and always learn new things.

It doesn't mean that I don't try any push myself to learn the more complex stuff. It always helps to beable to pull it out of the hat if it's needed.

Kit wise I usually play a 6 string as the extra strings are nice as get out of jail free cards if I have to wing anything.

Style wise; I just enjoy playing so I'll play any style I get the oportunity to play so I can get more experience any widen my bass horizons.