Why become a member? ×

What kind of bass player are you?

andy67

I like to do strange timings and the like... so not really much of a join in on the jam bass player, the weirder the better for me, .. now started using long delay and gliss with a bottle neck or old whammy bar, the drummer is looking more aghast every week :)

The latest one is a 1.5 sec delay with a dulcimer hammer thing going on, sounds subterranean and nasty.

• 2 months later...

19 Year old bloke
4 String
Always looking to try new things (mostly unsuccessfully).

I do kind of go for this whole prog rock thing but some more complex stuff I have a tendancy to be able to "kind of play".
At home though it's a lot of soul music, plenty of James Jamerson.

Oh and I can't slap to save my life, I've tried it so many times but decided I don't really need to learn how to play it. Also can't play with a pick.
My stage prescence lies in tacky dance moves reminicent of childhood discos.

21 / Male / Four Stringer

I like to do the whole rock foundation while throwing in some tasty fills thing. I play fingerstyle and like a retro tone. I also have a thing where I'll use my plucking fingers as a plectrum and bash out powerchords/octaves.

I also can't stand slap bass, especially when it's used by people to show off.

Main influences are probably Jack Bruce and Geezer Butler.

the majority of the time i play no frills bass playing, i do what is required to drive a song and hold the rhythm down, but if i am given space i like to vary runs and walks etc

ive always been of the view that the bass provides a foundation for everything else to build off, and i treat it as such, but theres no harm in having a fancy foundation from time to time

Female, admitting to 'over 40'.
4 string - just learning. Influenced by my teacher who is great and has very wide ranging tastes.

Will be venturing out of the bedroom in June. A friend is indulging me by letting me play on a couple of his original songs at a little charity gig. Kind of country and western feel. Gonna keep it VERY simple in an effort not to make too much of a tit of myself.

Absolutely NO chance of soloing in the foreseeable future! :)

[quote name='seashell' post='1221294' date='May 5 2011, 05:19 PM']Female, admitting to 'over 40'.
4 string - just learning. Influenced by my teacher who is great and has very wide ranging tastes.

Will be venturing out of the bedroom in June. A friend is indulging me by letting me play on a couple of his original songs at a little charity gig. Kind of country and western feel. Gonna keep it VERY simple in an effort not to make too much of a tit of myself.

Absolutely NO chance of soloing in the foreseeable future! :)[/quote]

You never know.
I remember when I first started spanking a treble guitar, I practiced for 2 hours a day at least for 6 months. The confidence thing is a whole other thing. I still get nervous 8 years on.

I played in trios for the first 10 years of my bass playing life,mainly in rockabilly/rock n roll setups, which mad me overly busy and bored of simple bass lines.
It took me the next 10 years to realise the less I played the better it sounded.
So, I`m an air bassist now!
Meaning, the gaps are definitely as important as the notes, and I love hearing the hats or a kick come through those gaps in a properly thought out rhythmical arrangement.

Almost 50! Play four and five string, P and J and a P/J Combo. I have played the guitar for about 30 years, and played trumpet for six years when I was younger. Have been playing mostly bass for the past 3 years and love it more than any other instrument I've played! As is no surprise given my screename - I love to play the blues. I also enjoy playing Jimmy Buffett songs - mainly 'cause I love Jimmy Buffett songs :) , and I also have fun playing Beach Boy songs - also because I love Beach Boy songs. Among other things, Brian Wilson played bass, and he wrote some fun bass lines, many of which Carol Kaye played in studio for the albums. If you've never tried them - check some out ie. Dance Dance Dance. Right now playing in a band called Don't Fret, but we've never gigged out yet - one of the members is still dealing with stage fright. Mostly playing out at a local Blues Jam that has an awesome host band.

Cool thread - nice getting to know more about fellow basschatters.

Cheers!

24 years old. 6 string fingerstyle player.

I play in a metal band, mostly the fast heavy kind. I take a few solos here and there but I don't realy do any party tricks like slapping or tapping (partly because I cant :)) When I'm at home I also like to noodle around, and spend way too long twiddling knobs on my amp and pedalboard. If i get time I also play prog rock, classic rock, and when nobody is listening, i dabble in a poorly executed type of jazz, and motown.

Pretty much the worst kind of 'bass player' then :)

35yr old bloke, been playing for less than two weeks (but with the help of an ace tutor who really inspires me to keep practising).

Fret fingers are feeling a bit delicate, but apart from that am wondering why the hell I didn't do this 20 years ago. Already feel totally at home with my bass and don't like putting it down!

Currently learning some basic 12-bar blues, along with some simple Beatles numbers.

Nowhere near coming out of the spare room (and certainly not until I've some decent volume - my old 10w geetar practise amp can barely go above talking volume :) ) but intend to once I have had a bit more time and practise.

Edited by fatboyslimfast

• 8 months later...

Bloke born on 1987, raised with radio playing classic rock and pop. Fan of 70's and 80's music, as well as hard rock, heavy metal, funk, punk, hip-hop and practically anything else.
Lazy player whose G.A.S. is bigger than skills.
Trying to play anything he likes, but prefers to play southern rock, funk, punk, stoner or rockabilly. Soon will try out the band.

I don't hit it, I play it. Fingers preferred but plectrum helps to preserve fingernails for when needed on guitar.

5 strings, fretted. Used to play 4 strings fretless, but I'm so used to having the extra string that I get lost on the 4 string now. The 4 string bass hasn't the tonal grunt of the 5 string anyway so that's another reason to prefer the latter.

Roots, arpeggios, scales ... whatever the music requires!

Where to start. 35 been playing about 19 years. Never had a lesson, been gigging since about two weeks after I bought my first bass.
Perhaps been told I'm 'good' one too many times as I'm a massive show off. Have been since day one.
A mover onstage i like to put on a show.
I use three fingers 90% of the time. Sometimes two, sometimes one for tonal consistency. I can tap, and sometimes use it to fill out long notes or chords. (Not for guitar style noodle-Idge or for tapping out the entirety of bohemian rhapsody on in my bedroom on YouTube-yawn!)
I can do the crazy fast 'look at me' slapping, (in other keys then E too! ;)
Although having got a bit of a name as the 'fast slap guy' and being bugged to do it constantly I've sorta stopped!
Anal about my technique and gear, and my tone; no theory at all. Nothing.
I like to be heard, not just felt, I like my actual sound to be heard too.

I've adapted other styles through osmosis. Realised when I first heard Jaco that I'd been imitating him for years, probably by imitating people imitating him. I use lots of harmonics and chords and like to mimic vocal phrasing. Same with that Tower of power fella. Ripping of that burble groove thing for years before I heard him and thought 'D'oh!'

Often like to just drop it by my knees and belt it with a plectrum and the drive channel on :)

I Always live by the mantra dont matter how good you think you are, there's always a better player in the room.

Had over 60 basses, boutiques, sixers etc etc.
Now I'm always a passive four string jazz bass guy. It's just got my voice in it.

I love the bass more than anything else.

Quite short and fat.

Edited by gafbass02