58 replies to this topic

#31 Big_Stu

Bad to the bone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

View Posthopkinsgm, on Apr 6 2009, 11:26 PM, said:

An alternative to the Grolsch bottle rubber washers (and one I've used on a few guitars over the years) is to use the round disc string retainers as found on Fender basses instead of regular strap buttons. Makes it a PITA to take the strap off, but it does make "strap popping over the strap button" type accidents less likely.

Cheers,

G

Now THAT is one of the best ideas I've heard in a very long time!

#32 Deuce_E

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

The exact same thing happened to me with one of the plastic connectors snapping. I fixed that with a climbing carabiner (not ideal as the large chunk of metal digs into the shoulder and is likely to damage the body). Then a few months later, another of the plastic connectors snapped 3 days before I'm due to play a gig, leaving me with only my back up strap to use, which is too long for my liking.

The annoying thing is, I actually ordered the Comfort Strapp from their website, but they sent me their own version. However, having complained to them, they did send me free set of Warwick strap locks, which was nice.

#33 GT40Graham

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

I have one of these straps but the leather end pieces are too thin to my mind, even when fitted with straplocks they don't feel secure. I would never contemplate using one of these live.

Regards,

Graham.
Graham

Rickenbacker 4001 x 2
Rickenbacker 4001V63
Rickenbacker 4003
Fender Jazz "Geddy Lee"
Fender Jazz (MIJ)
Fender Jazz Fretless
Fender Telecaster Bass (Humbucker)
Fender Precision FotoFlame (MIJ)
Hofner 500/1 Violin Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV
Moog Taurus 3

My website

#34 Truckstop

St. Albans Ibanez Blazer Fanclub President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,281 posts
  • Interests::( no Blazers

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

I actually still have and use the thin crappy black nylon strap i got with my very first ever bass (a Squier P-Bass with a 15w amp and viper cable nearly 10 years ago!) on my Washburn with Grolsch washers.

Truckstop

Stuff I use all the time:

Yamaha BB424x

Ampeg PF-350

Orange SP210

ProCo Turbo Rat

Marshall Guv'nor

Boss ME-20b

Proud user and rabid endorser of FM Cables (http://www.fmcables.com/)

#35 jazzyvee

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Musician and Jazz radio broadcaster.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

View Posttedgilley, on Jun 14 2010, 03:16 PM, said:

Thick leather strap. You have to work to get it on; no worries about it coming off.

TG
I can second that. All my basses have leather straps and strap locks and not had problems with any of them. In fact one of my basses has a leather strap that I bought for a guitar in the late 70's, and i still going strong.

Jazzyvee
Bass player for Musical Youth, NotStrictlyJazz Quartet and occasional session gigs. Also Jazz Radio presenter.

#36 xilddx

‼ ← ῳ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,641 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

Same here. Thick, wide supple leather strap with Warwick Security Locks.

I would never use a strap made with webbing or plastic parts.

O

Bass with London Zulu

Guitar with Sheema Mukherjee

O

Fender Japan Power Jazz Bass Special / Fender Squier Active Fretless Zulu Bass / Fender USA Deluxe V-Neck Stratocaster / 1962 Gibson Melody Maker / Billy Finlayson Classical Guitar

Line 6 POD X3 LIVE / OBBM Rock-Wire Cables

#37 BobTheBassist

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests: Writing music, rock climbing, and hi fi. Oh and the bass.

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

Similar thing happened to me recently. I'm waiting for the warwick strap locks atm but last week the strap came off and my new thumb NT plummeted to the ground. Fortunatly my foot broke it's fall, though the bass broke my foot. :)
You don't need to know music theory to play and create music any more than you need to know the theory of gravity to keep from flying of the face of the earth.

#38 Grand Wazoo

Still sane since 1961

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts
  • Interests:anything

Posted 10 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

Well the Bass Centre replaced mine too as it went the exact way as the strap in the pic of post no.1 I had to wait 5 weeks to receive a replacement, but I can confirm that the replacement one is of better quality as I've stretched it and stretched it by hand with all my strength before I even hung a bass on it and it didn't break.

Top marks on the Bass Centre for getting it sorted. Barry & Co. are good peeps.

"They shall come out against you one way, and flee before you seven ways...."

MY BASSCHAT FEEDBACK
MY EBAY FEEDBACK

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 dmccombe7

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:39 PM

Changed my Bass Collection straps (3off) to all leather ones I bought on holiday at Loch Ness. Little leather shop in InverMorrison on shores of bonnie Loch Ness right near where Nessie lives - LOL !!!!!

I found the Bass collection straps were comfy but a little short and I'm only 5'9' - they were the shorter versions too and didn't think they were very well built either.

Lucky enough for me I don't gig much at moment so less risk I guess.

Something I'll need to look at is strap locks but not sure where to start ?

Any advice there would be great.

I have a Warwick Thumb NT, Overwater Progress 6 string fretless, Fender Jazz.

Overwater fantastic bass - you won't be disappointed and Chris May is really nice guy. Surprised action was high. Did Chris set it up himself as he normally gets it pretty spot on for your specific style of playing.

All best
Dave
Basses :-
Warwick Thumb NT 89 (EMG's), Overwater Progress 6 custom fretless, Overwater Contemporary J4, Fender Jazz, Jaydee Roadie II fretless, Peavey Cirrus Tiger eye 5, Epiphone Thunderbird.
Amps :-
GK 1001RBii, GK MB-200, 2x Bergantino AE112, Bergantino HT322.
Effects :-
Aphex Comprressor, Roland GT-6B

FEEDBACK :- http://basschat.co.uk/topic/137230-feedback-for-dmccombe7

#40 tauzero

The Voice of Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

View Postdmccombe7, on Dec 21 2010, 06:39 PM, said:

Something I'll need to look at is strap locks but not sure where to start ?

Any advice there would be great.

I have a Warwick Thumb NT, Overwater Progress 6 string fretless, Fender Jazz.
Didn't your Thumb come with Schaller straplocks on? I use the Boston Schaller clones (they have two nuts on the strap bit so less prone to that bit coming off the strap). I get mine from Dangleberry Music - all my basses and guitars have them.
Coitum volaticum non dono

http://www.thelightning.co.uk - The Lightning - rock covers band
http://www.spiralsix.co.uk/ - Spiral Six - rock covers band
http://www.secondtimeround.org.uk - Second Time Round - acoustic duo

#41 LiamPodmore

Ummm..... I play bass?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • Interests:Anything that sounds good, and some things that don't. Oh, and those computer things, i like them too.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

View PostTruckstop, on Aug 10 2010, 09:33 PM, said:

I actually still have and use the thin crappy black nylon strap i got with my very first ever bass (a Squier P-Bass with a 15w amp and viper cable nearly 10 years ago!) on my Washburn with Grolsch washers.

Truckstop

Same here, without the washers. i only used it on my main bass for about a year and a half but its now on my Ibanez and still gets used at my gigs. Its lasted 4 years so far. It's too short though, but i only need that bass for about 4 songs so i can cope.

Liam
Instruments:
1986 Fender MIJ Precision|2010 Fender Squier Jazz Bass Deluxe V|2007 Ibanez GSR200|Yamaha FJX720SC|
Amps:
Warwick ProFet 5.1|Gear4Music 25B|
Effects/Pedals:
Boss TU-2|MXR M80|Marshall JH-1|Pedaltrain Nano|
Random Stuff:
AudioSpares & Control Cables|Elixir Strings|Fender & Dunlop Straps|

My Photography: Facebook Flickr

A Little Bit Outlaw: Youtube Facebook Twitter

#42 dmccombe7

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

View Posttauzero, on Dec 22 2010, 03:40 PM, said:

Didn't your Thumb come with Schaller straplocks on? I use the Boston Schaller clones (they have two nuts on the strap bit so less prone to that bit coming off the strap). I get mine from Dangleberry Music - all my basses and guitars have them.

Its one of the early ones with EMG's circa 89 if I remember correctly and only had standard strap nuts at that time.
I think the schallers may have been an option but that long ago can't remember - its an age thing i guess.

I'll get a look at the Boston Schaller ones though so appreciate reply.

Cheers
Dave
Basses :-
Warwick Thumb NT 89 (EMG's), Overwater Progress 6 custom fretless, Overwater Contemporary J4, Fender Jazz, Jaydee Roadie II fretless, Peavey Cirrus Tiger eye 5, Epiphone Thunderbird.
Amps :-
GK 1001RBii, GK MB-200, 2x Bergantino AE112, Bergantino HT322.
Effects :-
Aphex Comprressor, Roland GT-6B

FEEDBACK :- http://basschat.co.uk/topic/137230-feedback-for-dmccombe7

#43 GarethFlatlands

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

Dunno if it helps anyone but I used to use one of those car seatbelt cushions attached with velcro to my guitar strap. I got to keep my rock solid Levy's strap and it made it more comfortable for use over long periods. Might be worth a try if you're a bit dubious about 'comfort' straps.

#44 chrismuzz

Rhythm Guitarist Drowner Outer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Bodybuilding, Beef, Bexie and Booze

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

+1 on the Levy's straps! They're probably the cheapest around too which makes NO sense as they're clearly the best in the world! :)
GENERATIONS - Metal Covers - Gig List

BASSES:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio | Peavey Zodiac BXP | Peavey International Series 4 | Peavey International Series 5 | Peavey Grind 6 | Peavey Grind 6

PEDALBOARD:
Stageclix Jack Wireless | Aguilar TLC | Darkglass B3K | Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI | Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive | Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer | Zoom B3
AMP:
Harley Benton BA500H | Markbass CL104

Peavey BAM 210 FOR SALE | Peavey Pro 410 FOR SALE
MISC:
Elixir strings | DR strings | Newtone strings | Warwick strings | Seymour Duncan pickups | Entwistle pickups | Whirlwind cables | Rock-Wire Cables | Levy's Leather | Diago pedalboards & accessories | ACS earplugs | AKG headphones

My Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions - Forum Behaviour Guidelines - Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#45 goblin

A goblin is for life, not just for christmas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Photography, Cars, Music

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:59 PM

Cheap Levy's? Where :) Mine was 90! Cheap compared to my Moody Leathers strap in all fairness :)
http://www.facebook.com/davebbass

'99 John East Warwick Corvette Fretless Standard
'97 G&L USA L2500 Blueburst 5 String
80s Matsumoku Jazz 4
'83 Wal Mark 1 Passive
Harley Benton 5 String Fretless Acoustic

BOSS TU1000
BOSS TU3
EBS MultiComp
EBS Octabass
Danelectro CoolCat Chorus
MXR M80+ Bass DI

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
Ashdown Superfly 500
Hartke HyDrive HX112
Hartke HyDrive HX115

Mono

#46 chrismuzz

Rhythm Guitarist Drowner Outer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Bodybuilding, Beef, Bexie and Booze

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:36 PM

90? :) I got one of the plain heavy duty cotton/suede ones for a tenner!

It was this exact one - http://www.thomann.d...itarrengurt.htm :)

Edited by chrismuzz, 09 April 2011 - 11:37 PM.

GENERATIONS - Metal Covers - Gig List

BASSES:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio | Peavey Zodiac BXP | Peavey International Series 4 | Peavey International Series 5 | Peavey Grind 6 | Peavey Grind 6

PEDALBOARD:
Stageclix Jack Wireless | Aguilar TLC | Darkglass B3K | Tech 21 SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver DI | Ashdown Lomenzo Hyperdrive | Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer | Zoom B3
AMP:
Harley Benton BA500H | Markbass CL104

Peavey BAM 210 FOR SALE | Peavey Pro 410 FOR SALE
MISC:
Elixir strings | DR strings | Newtone strings | Warwick strings | Seymour Duncan pickups | Entwistle pickups | Whirlwind cables | Rock-Wire Cables | Levy's Leather | Diago pedalboards & accessories | ACS earplugs | AKG headphones

My Feedback

BassChat Terms & Conditions - Forum Behaviour Guidelines - Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#47 goblin

A goblin is for life, not just for christmas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Photography, Cars, Music

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:52 PM

I've got one of the leather ones, think it's the MS2 or something. It didn't cost ME anything though, the guitarist / ex bassist in the band i used to play with packed up music completely, and sold everything. Passed on the Moody strap to me for 30, found the box for it and has a price tag of 160 on it! Found another box with the Levy's in which turned up when he found out I'd had an unconditional offer from uni after an awesome audition. Completely free of charge. Box has 90 written on it. Bargain :)
http://www.facebook.com/davebbass

'99 John East Warwick Corvette Fretless Standard
'97 G&L USA L2500 Blueburst 5 String
80s Matsumoku Jazz 4
'83 Wal Mark 1 Passive
Harley Benton 5 String Fretless Acoustic

BOSS TU1000
BOSS TU3
EBS MultiComp
EBS Octabass
Danelectro CoolCat Chorus
MXR M80+ Bass DI

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500
Ashdown Superfly 500
Hartke HyDrive HX112
Hartke HyDrive HX115

Mono

#48 GarethFlatlands

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

View Postchrismuzz, on 09 April 2011 - 11:36 PM, said:

£90? style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif I got one of the plain heavy duty cotton/suede ones for a tenner!

It was this exact one - http://www.thomann.d...itarrengurt.htm style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I use a blonde one of those, goes well with my blonde Warwick. I think the 1st strap I ever got was a cheap Levys and now own a few on various guitars. Still got my first one, they've lasted for ages and for abot £12 you can't go wrong.

Halfords do seatbelt cushion pads that would fit guitar straps for about £2-3. Beats spending silly money on straps.

#49 Sibob

Needs to get out more

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,782 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

View Postwateroftyne, on 14 March 2009 - 08:25 AM, said:

Biiig wide all-leather & straplocks for me. None of this plastic nonsense!

+1
I had a strap go at a gig about 6 years ago and it was the plastic buckle, caught my bass but had to do a song knelt down on my haunches.
I use Klondike straps on everything now, wide, comfortable all-leather straps

Si

Currently using:

Fender [-] ACG [-] Newtone [-] Crash Magnetic Transducer pickups [-] Markbass [-] Barefaced
Boss, Fuzzrocious, Dwarfcraft, Earthquaker Devices, SolidGold FX, Mr Black, CoPilot FX, MXR, Idiotbox, 3Leaf, [SFX], Line 6, Xotic, TC Electronics, COG, DOD, Gig-Rig, Diago

Lots of OC-2s

BassChat Terms and Conditions
BassChat Rules and Guidelines in the MarketPlace forums

Twitter - Blog - Facebook

#50 daz

The Bass playing Welder, Flame on!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,493 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars, Welding, messing about in my shed. Golf (rare these days, but I still go occasionally) Working nights at the Royal Mail (Yes I enjoy work!)

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:31 PM

same thing happened to me, I put a temporary fix in with all i could find, which was a piece of red silk ribbon. A year later it is still there. I now realise that silk is of course extremely strong.
My Feedback

Bass guitars with more than 4 strings
Questioner: How come you never play a 5 or 6 stringer Billy?
Billy Sheehan: "I dont need one, I have my hipshot for lower notes, and I can go to harmonics for higher notes"
Questioner: "do you own any"?
Billy Sheehan: " yes I have two or three, though rarely use them outside an ocassional studio set piece"
"I dont like to use them unless I really have to, as when a guy takes a 5 or 6 string bass into the studio, you see the engineers and producers, sighing and shaking their heads" :) (Smiles)
Billy Sheehan: " I have nothing whatseover against 5 or 6 string basses. I just belive that guys dont give themselves a proper chance on the 4 stringer first."
Questioner: How long is 'a proper chance'?
Billy Sheehan: " At least 20 years" (not smiling here, being serious)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#51 GreeneKing

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

I still had 2 of these Bass collection straps knocking around, both with cable ties fitted on every link as an extra precaution.

I fitted one to my newly acquired TRB6P and guess what, the leather at the end tore through and I caught the bass on it's way to the floor :)

Both straps went straight in the bin and a proper Mono strap is now in place on the Yamaha.
Warning : My posts may contain my opinions, they may not be factual or researched to the nth degree

If you change the way you look at things:

The way things look changes.

#52 rumblejunkie

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:bass , guitar , music , photography , and my kids all four of them

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:01 AM

i picked up a full leather levys for £18 bucks from guitar guitar plain black then i got a padded brown one again full soft leather for £24 cant fault them i used to go pretty mad on my SG doing angus impressions on normal guitar ive got dunlop straplocks and on the ibanez the first thing i did was put a set of schallers on it . good idea about the seatbelt things though .

#53 fonzoooroo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:If the tabs on my browser are anything to go on: Bass, Theremin, Old water cooled Volkswagens and countryside walking. I reckon if you add Cello to that list, you've got it covered.

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

I've got TGI leather (or suede) straps on all of mine, (nice enough quality on the £20 ish ones, though the cheapies seem to have issues with the "backing" failing at the ends) all with schaller straplocks. On my heavier basses I've got "Planet Waves Foam Guitar Strap Shoulder Pad" on them, making the whole experience comfier...

#54 mckendrick

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Not Kings Cross

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:25 AM

If you use a Bass Collection Comfort strap....
....don't. <_<
Jazz Basses

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/169423-feedback-for-mckendrick/

#55 KevG

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yep, mine went last Saturday whilst playing at a local festival. Fortunately caught the Yamaha so no harm done, except a massive rise in blood pressure and having to sit on my combo for the rest of the song till I could fit a spare. Now my comfort straps have been replaced with thick leather and Schallers.

#56 SoVeryTired

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

I had the same strap, different fault - it lasted all of 6 months. I looked down when rehearsing and noticed the stitching on the leather had unravelled and the bass was effectively hanging by a couple of threads. Fortunately I saw it in time before the headstock went floorwards. The leather was way too thin and flexible as well. Strings Direct sorted me out with an alternative as a replacement so all was well in the end but I'd avoid these comfort straps like the plague.

#57 markbunney

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

I have one of the Comfort Strapps and whilst its really nicely padded, the padding doesn't actually sit on my shoulder so I end up with the plastic digging into me instead :(

Have been looking to get a Mono one instead

#58 johnnyleaf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Just took up trying to learn some beats,love the Bass,have got a starter Bass and am loving every moment!!!
    Complete Novice,but hey we all start some where!
    Used to play Violin as a child.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

I got one of these,it solved my neck dive and is very comfortable,i had it from e-bay.

#59 bbrich

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Everything to do with music, including bass playing. Cycling, golf, eating out, footy, telly.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, my Bass Centre Comfort Strap has snapped as well. Luckily caught my bass before it hit the deck. Fixed it with cable ties and put cable ties on my other Comfort Strap just to be sure. My original Comfort Strapp, with two P's, goes back to my slapping days. Its still going strong but a bit on the short side these days!

So what's the best alternative?

Edited by bbrich, 01 July 2013 - 03:49 PM.

Westone Thunder IIIA (modfd), Schecter Diamond Omen Extreme V,
Steinberger Spirit, '56 Squier Precision (modfd),
Ovation Acoustic Bass, Vintage Acoustic Bass,
TE 715 Combo uprated to 300w w/ 400w Celestion S400 spkr,
Korg AX3000B Effects, Roland Micro Cube Bass,
Ohm Tramp 15w Combo, van load of aging PA!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users