Why become a member? ×

If you use a Bass Collection Comfort strap beware

GreeneKing

I still had 2 of these Bass collection straps knocking around, both with cable ties fitted on every link as an extra precaution.

I fitted one to my newly acquired TRB6P and guess what, the leather at the end tore through and I caught the bass on it's way to the floor :)

Both straps went straight in the bin and a proper Mono strap is now in place on the Yamaha.

• 1 month later...

i picked up a full leather levys for £18 bucks from guitar guitar plain black then i got a padded brown one again full soft leather for £24 cant fault them i used to go pretty mad on my SG doing angus impressions on normal guitar ive got dunlop straplocks and on the ibanez the first thing i did was put a set of schallers on it . good idea about the seatbelt things though .

• 3 weeks later...

I've got TGI leather (or suede) straps on all of mine, (nice enough quality on the £20 ish ones, though the cheapies seem to have issues with the "backing" failing at the ends) all with schaller straplocks. On my heavier basses I've got "[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Planet Waves Foam Guitar Strap Shoulder Pad" on them, making the whole experience comfier... [/font][/color]

• 8 months later...

Yep, mine went last Saturday whilst playing at a local festival. Fortunately caught the Yamaha so no harm done, except a massive rise in blood pressure and having to sit on my combo for the rest of the song till I could fit a spare. Now my comfort straps have been replaced with thick leather and Schallers.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same strap, different fault - it lasted all of 6 months. I looked down when rehearsing and noticed the stitching on the leather had unravelled and the bass was effectively hanging by a couple of threads. Fortunately I saw it in time before the headstock went floorwards. The leather was way too thin and flexible as well. Strings Direct sorted me out with an alternative as a replacement so all was well in the end but I'd avoid these comfort straps like the plague.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, my Bass Centre Comfort Strap has snapped as well. Luckily caught my bass before it hit the deck. Fixed it with cable ties and put cable ties on my other Comfort Strap just to be sure. My original Comfort Strapp, with two P's, goes back to my slapping days. Its still going strong but a bit on the short side these days!

So what's the best alternative?

Edited by bbrich

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought these nice 4 inch wide straps for all my basses. Took a while to arrive but worth every penny in terms of comfort and quality. http://www.italiastraps.com/guitar-straps-uk.html

That plus Jim Dunlop Straploks on all my instruments... No other way to go for me!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1236979176' post='434188']
I won't touch anything with a buckle-all leather or all fabric, with straplocks for me.
[/quote]
Absolutely, All my basses have thick leather straps and schaller strap locks. I have really heavy basses so wouldn't trust anything with plastic fixings or thin leather ends.