Why become a member? ×

How thick should a pick be?

Crazyforkillua

I believe I'm using .45mm picks right now, but they're not doing such a great job. I already broke 2 in half, and when playing with they, they shave off. I'm not sure if a thicker pick would fix all the problems that I'm facing now, but to get a better point of view on what I should focus on buying. What's the ideal thickness range I should buy?

And is there a difference between bass picks and regular guitar picks?

Thanks!

Different picks of different materials and thicknesses are going to give you different sounds.

For bass I use Herco Flex 75s. For guitar a use a whole variety of picks depending on the kind of sound I want. If you're breaking picks try using heavier and/or more flexible ones (ie nylon rather than hard plastic). Of course they'll sound different so you'll have to find a suitable compromise between durability and sound.

No picks last for ever even the heavy and flexible Hercos I use are only good for a couple of weeks of hard playing before they've worn too much away. Once you find the picks you like buy yourself a good quantity of them.

part of the snapping problem might be the material.
I tried some of the pretend tort planet waves picks and broke all the corners off - did the same with the Gibson black wedge ones as well.
Been using either nylon or tortex and anything from a .50 to a .88 and not had any problems. I find that the thinner guage ones lets me play a bit harder but without the clicking noise from the pick.

I have a stainless steel pick of doom for when all else fails :)

other than that all picks shave and if you have a black bass like mine it really shows! If you break them you are either trying too hard or using the wrong picks and yes bass picks do tend to be heavier and less flexible than thin string picks.