Why become a member? ×

"The wife told me...."

cetera

[quote name='Gwilym' post='46588' date='Aug 16 2007, 07:54 PM']i'm sure people aren't as hen pecked as they make out. probably just an irreverant remark most of the time, and maybe a bit of sales patter if it's in a for sale thread. after all, a seller is rarely going to say "I'm selling this cos I don't like it".[/quote]

+1 A convenient reason why its a 'reluctant sale' when in fact you think the bass is a dog!

I was a musician before I was married, and my wife knows full well I always will be. If the day ever comes, and I doubt it will, that she said she was fed up with it, and it was the music or her, the music would win without a second thought. Not that I wouldn't be upset about that, but that was what she signed up for. I would not compromise on that. On gear, yes, I'd like more, who wouldn't? But we work it out sensibly. When the Squier TB came out, I just ordered it, and told her later. Wasn't a problem, and we had some time to get the cash together. She actually bought me my black Precision AND my Markbass combo! Can't say fairer than that. So, there's always room for talk.

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='46862' date='Aug 17 2007, 02:23 PM']The wife isn't a fan of any of them, but she collects kids and I've given her 4 so far so it's a trade-off![/quote]

LMAO! :)

the [i]new man[/i], alive and well :huh:

Edited by MacDaddy

Someone earlier said that not just musicians get GAS and I must agree.
My wife gets it for anything to do with lettering (pens, ink, pencils, parchment, marble, chisels - the list goes on and on).
Of course she is also partial to the occasional pair of shoes and a handbag but normally restricts herself to no more than one of each per week.
When we flew back to Libya this week we had accumulated 125Kg of hold baggage between us and this time I did not actually get any new instruments, something of a record for me.
My only problem is that she keeps on wanting me to buy horrible guitars and basses "because it looks good" normally because it is made from some outlandish material or finished in some extreme colour or texture. She just does not appreciate a fine piece of wood unless she can chisel a line of verse into it! So far I have managed to deflect all persuasions to purchase lime green perspex stratocasters, but am seriously worried as she has started carving letters in marble and Welsh slate. What will be the nextr suggestion - Fender Custom Shop Telecaster Limestone Cowboy Ltd Edition Bass? Does she not realise I have a bad back?

As many people have said, a lot of this is down to open discussion, honesty and compromise. For many years, I would just go along with whatever my wife wanted or suggested. Then, about two years ago, I put my foot down and stated my case.

Now happily divorced (both of us are now good friends), I realise that you need to do this from day one. It's all about honesty, folks, saying how you feel and what you think and why you need a shiny, new bass without fear. That way you don't need to be sneaky ("..but this Fender Jazz Bass was only £12.50 at Cash Converters" never works).

[quote name='woolleydick' post='48364' date='Aug 21 2007, 03:15 PM']Someone earlier said that not just musicians get GAS and I must agree.
My wife gets it for anything to do with lettering (pens, ink, pencils, parchment, marble, chisels - the list goes on and on).
Of course she is also partial to the occasional pair of shoes and a handbag but normally restricts herself to no more than one of each per week.
When we flew back to Libya this week we had accumulated 125Kg of hold baggage between us and this time I did not actually get any new instruments, something of a record for me.
My only problem is that she keeps on wanting me to buy horrible guitars and basses "because it looks good" normally because it is made from some outlandish material or finished in some extreme colour or texture. She just does not appreciate a fine piece of wood unless she can chisel a line of verse into it! So far I have managed to deflect all persuasions to purchase lime green perspex stratocasters, but am seriously worried as she has started carving letters in marble and Welsh slate. What will be the nextr suggestion - Fender Custom Shop Telecaster Limestone Cowboy Ltd Edition Bass? Does she not realise I have a bad back?[/quote]

Biggus,

You will of course have seen Lemmies Ric 4001?

That carved top behemoth, thats you that is!

:)

[quote name='woolleydick' post='48364' date='Aug 21 2007, 03:15 PM']Someone earlier said that not just musicians get GAS and I must agree.
My only problem is that she keeps on wanting me to buy horrible guitars and basses "because it looks good" normally because it is made from some outlandish material or finished in some extreme colour or texture. She just does not appreciate a fine piece of wood unless she can chisel a line of verse into it! So far I have managed to deflect all persuasions to purchase lime green perspex stratocasters, but am seriously worried as she has started carving letters in marble and Welsh slate. What will be the nextr suggestion - Fender Custom Shop Telecaster Limestone Cowboy Ltd Edition Bass? Does she not realise I have a bad back?[/quote]

Get a blank wood bass body and get her to chisel some text on it. That would be win-win :)

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='The Burpster' post='48415' date='Aug 21 2007, 05:46 PM']Biggus,
You will of course have seen Lemmies Ric 4001?

That carved top behemoth, thats you that is!

:)[/quote]

AAAAAAAARGH - my nightmare come true - hope she doesnt spot that priceless seventies Shaftesbury Rickenfaker under the bed in Lincoln and decide to give me a lovely surprise!!!!!!!

me and my g/f have a very good way of dealing with this every time i want to buy some more gear she can buy a new corset or dress or somehing. I dont have to ask her permission but i do ask her what she thinks. She can decide without having to deal with gas I trust her opinion 100% i dont always follow it but i will hear her out.

Perhaps your other half is the Id the rationalises your GAS attacks.

I'm sure we've all bought something that we haven't justified its expense with use, or just not enjoyed it at all.

My best advice is to suppress instinct and impulse when it comes at great expense. Also, having an informal savings fund for expensive items,perhaps one for each of you for practical investments, might be a good idea.

A couple of obvious ways of justifying your expense when 'discussing' buying a new instrument is; its investment potential, practicality and appearance.

I'm sure amps are the hardest thing though, they're often unbecoming and bulky and are association with sleepless nights and interrupted crime dramas. A smart high quality practice amp sounds an extremely worthwhile investment.

Although they are connected, love and spirituality comes ahead of music. If the music is more important to you you should probably consider giving her the boot. Or selling her on ebay :)