Why become a member? ×

Central london venues

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

I have been gigging on the central london original cicuit for an age, but am unsure of the situation for covers gigs, are there many around and do they tend to have in house PA.

Any info greatfully received

Guest subaudio

Hiya

I am thinking about putting adds out to join a band, but as I dont have a car I am restricted to using gear I can move on public transport (my GK MB 150, which has always served me well) so was wondering if it was do able.

I have a day job so wont be relying on cash from gigs, more for pocket money to feed gas and to do more gigs generally.

I'm into pretty much everything but couldnt play full on Jazz gigs but I am studying it.

[quote name='The Funk' post='46339' date='Aug 16 2007, 12:06 PM']What kind of money are after and what kind of material are you playing?[/quote]

Edited by subaudio

Jazz After Dark in Soho. It's easy to get booked and very good for your playing. It's a horrible gig but great training. If you can play a good gig there, you can play a good gig anywhere! Material can't be too 'rock' and doesn't have to be all that 'jazz'. But blues, soul, funk and latin covers are fine.

EDIT: Always travel light on that gig anyway! The GK's perfect for it.

Edited by The Funk

Guest subaudio

Thanks matey that's great, do they use an agent (or do you know of any for these type of gigs), and would it be worth sending off info packs as a bassist looking for a band.

Sorry for so many questions but I am clueless on this type of gig, i used to play covers full time up north over a decade ago so am quite out of touch.

Many thanks
Marti

[quote name='The Funk' post='46358' date='Aug 16 2007, 12:20 PM']Jazz After Dark in Soho. It's easy to get booked and very good for your playing. It's a horrible gig but great training. If you can play a good gig there, you can play a good gig anywhere! Material can't be too 'rock' and doesn't have to be all that 'jazz'. But blues, soul, funk and latin covers are fine.

EDIT: Always travel light on that gig anyway! The GK's perfect for it.[/quote]

Guest subaudio

Cool, will do, thanks for your help mate.

Any other advice or info anyone?

Marti

[quote name='The Funk' post='46367' date='Aug 16 2007, 12:36 PM']They don't use an agent. I think they do also operate an agency themselves though. Give them a ring - they might know of musicians who need a bassist. I don't really do covers gigs so I can't offer that much advice.[/quote]

Edited by subaudio

Greetings,

You could try sticking a flyer on "the wall" in Denamark Street. It's in the alleyway next to where Andy's used to be, & is usually plastered with the standard "we're poised to take over the world" schtick, but does harbour some ads from normal people.

Pete.