Why become a member? ×

First solo tune I've actually finished!

Russ

I've been toying with the idea of a solo project for a while, so recently I finally got my sh*t together, and recorded a few tunes. What's more, I've finally finished one! :huh:

It's at www.myspace.com/recursemusic .

It's kinda a techno-rock number, all fuzzy guitars, bleepy synths and moody vocals. It was done on my Mac, with GarageBand, a Tascam US-122, an old Yamaha MIDI synth, a Bass POD XT Live, a cheapo guitar, and my Ibanez ATK405 bass (amazing recording bass, by the way). Oh, and that is me on vocals. :huh:

What do you think? Be gentle with me, it's my first proper attempt... :)

Cool! I recognise some of the Garageband elements, namely that little bleepy sound thing. It works nicely in the tune.

The only criticism from me is the drums are a little jumpy - I think it could do with a more solid main groove in parts, but I know it i snot always eas to program them in and get exactly what you want, so bloody good effort I say.

I've just redone those high vocals in the middle-eight... I listened back to them and they sound bloody awful... slightly out of key and way too loud in the mix. So I'll upload that version shortly. :)

EDIT: The new version's up. No more embarassing out-of-tune vocals. :huh:

Edited by Russ

Hey Russ

Digging the tune - not really my bag but that's not a criticism - my only gripe is I want more Sei bass in the mix! I think you're very brave to record yourself singing - it sounds cool by the way - I can carry a tune vocal wise but I'm a sh*t singer - i.e. I could never, ever sing lead vocals - so well done. More clanking, skanking bass in the mix (like in 5th Man Down...) and I think you're on to something. Maybe the guitars could be a bit 'drier' more crunky sounding - just to help with seperating the tracks out.

Overall - very positive - good work - do some more, I know from experience that 'solo' recording projects are always a great learning process - and I always discover something new each time I record - so it's all about trial and error.

Hope some of that is helpful - if not just tell me to f-off :)

Mike