Why become a member? ×

I had an interesting A/B today!

MythSte

Well, I walked into a small time local music shop. And on the wall he had hanging up a really nicely mojo'd 77 Presicion, so naturally i and him got speaking. The 77 was up at a grand. and next to it was a CAR mexiacan precision (i know, i thought these were all japanese too, but the headstock deffinatly said mexican)

So, i pulled down the '77 and started to tinkle around. The first thing i noticed was that this thing was bloody heavy! but also, this thing was a nightmare to play! I mean, i know setups are essential, but you would have thought that it would have had at least one setup in its 40 year life! It was completly un-slappable, and any chord i tried to play just came out with a sound that my ears plain didnt like. The bassist/owner agreed.

Then i pulled the Mexi down and started plonking, and the first thing i noticed was how bright the tone knob would let this go compared to the '77. (both had new roto rounds on) alas, i thought i was in for a twangy time, but on pulling the tone knob down it got just as deep and thumpy as the '77. Whats going on?! Chordal pieces chimed out, and slap pinged just how i like it. whats going on?!

The only thing the 77' had in its favour was the fact that the neck was slightly faster (i think the edges on it were a bit rounder, although i didnt check, thats just from memory)

so which would i have?

Well, the '77 of course, it was sunburst and worn away in places. That makes a good bass, right?

Although i agree that a dog of a vintage bass will always be a dog of a bass, i think its impossible to A/B a modern fender with a vintage. Its kinda like A/Bing an new Beetle with a '65 Beetle, nobody would expect them to drive, feel and even sound the same (gotta love the engine sound of an old beetle)

And all fenders from about late '74 were real heavy, check out some of the mid-to-late 70's jazzes in denmark street, i've never ever felt heavier basses, my EUB is lighter lol

Si

Edited by Sibob

'..it was completely un-slappable'

OH NO! THE HUMANITY! :)

Seriously, though - a 1977 Precision is not a yardstick to which all Fenders should be compared.

As was mentioned above, though... pre-'74... now you're talking. You're welcome to prise these out of my cold, dead fingers:

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='46584' date='Aug 16 2007, 07:43 PM']'..it was completely un-slappable'

OH NO! THE HUMANITY! :huh:

Seriously, though - a 1977 Precision is not a yardstick to which all Fenders should be compared.

As was mentioned above, though... pre-'74... now you're talking. You're welcome to prise these out of my cold, dead fingers:

[/quote]

Stop it... that picture...too much... can't breath.

"OH NO! THE HUMANITY! :huh: "

:)

[quote name='paul, the' post='46628' date='Aug 16 2007, 09:35 PM']Stop it... that picture...too much... can't breath.
"OH NO! THE HUMANITY! :huh: "
:)[/quote]
It is too much - you're right about that!

I mean, that really awful looking Jazz, 3rd from left, with the block inlays and everything....It's just tooo much. We should just take it away now as an act of kindness.... :huh:

I know what you mean, Ste... Older instruments are often attractive (mainly to collectors) and fetch very high prices, but if you're a technical player (more than a simplistic 'plodder'), a modern instrument is so much more satisfying.

I'm very interested in the Fender bass history & in fact bought two books on it today, but I'd never buy an old bass. For me a bass has to be new & shiny and not look as though it's been dragged kicking & screaming behind the gig van as opposed to in it! But more importantly, it has to work with me when I'm playing, rather than making playing an uphill struggle.

As for the mex standard Fenders, they're very good these days. I just did a setup on a pupil's mex Precision & it was almost as fast as my Geddy Lee when I'd done with it. Nowt wrong with 'em :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='46658' date='Aug 16 2007, 11:07 PM']For me a bass has to be new & shiny and not look as though it's been dragged kicking & screaming behind the gig van as opposed to in it! But more importantly, it has to work with me when I'm playing, rather than making playing an uphill struggle.[/quote]
Good man! Thought was just me who didn't get the vintage thing. I can see the eye candy appeal but the playability of old instruments is a bit of a battle. Each to his/her own though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='46650' date='Aug 16 2007, 10:47 PM']It is too much - you're right about that!

I mean, that really awful looking Jazz, 3rd from left, with the block inlays and everything....It's just tooo much. We should just take it away now as an act of kindness.... :)[/quote]

You know me too well!

Although a Jamerson Precision would fit in nicely.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='46670' date='Aug 16 2007, 11:44 PM']Good man! Thought was just me who didn't get the vintage thing. I can see the eye candy appeal but the playability of old instruments is a bit of a battle. Each to his/her own though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.[/quote]

I don't like the look of new shiny basses, they lack soul and personality. Although, rather than buying a vintage bass, (appearance wise) I'd rather buy a relatively modern bass and muff it up personally over time, to show my dedication to the instrument. It's nice to know that it is [i]your[/i] sweat stains running down to the bridge and [i]your[/i] lamp shade that has put all those dings in the headstock.

To be honest though, I don't really like the modern tone so I think taste in bass will be inadvertently highly swayed by your taste in music and your bass idols. - If you like Zender you probably have a Warwick and like a modern tone. If you like Jamerson, you probably have a Precision and like a vintage tone (and more likely to enjoy vintage instruments). Apart from the personality, character, mojo'd factor of a genuine vintage ruffed up bass, the bass tells a story of its life and what kind of person its player is.

There's no reason why you can't make any bass easy and pleasent to play. Some just need an action ajustment, some need a neck shim, truss adjustment, nut work(reduction/raising), fret dressing/leveling, a new bridge or perhaps all of those things. You know what kind of a neck you like, and once you've got that to your liking, playability is something you have almost total control over.

[quote name='mhuk' post='46962' date='Aug 17 2007, 07:21 PM']Was it un-slappable because it was old or because the action was too low?[/quote]

The action wasnt too bad, but it just wouldnt work? I dont know, i could slap the A easy enough, but popping and the E required real concentration and power.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='47035' date='Aug 17 2007, 11:06 PM']Not being funny - and I've said before the you can slap in a precision - but why?[/quote]

Sorry, i dont think i understand what your getting at? If you mean why would anyone want to slap on a precision then i see your point of view, but i think its an essential part of a bass really. and even if you dont use it very often its nice to know you have the option too. again, for that kind of money.

Yes - why slap a precision. If you want to slap - get a slappers bass. Personally I think slap is a busted flush and only of use in an 80's tribute band but if you have to do it - thats what Jazz basses are for (or Alembic, GB, Status, Musicman and anyone I've left out that might be offended).

Couldn't disagree more - although I think slap is fun and maybe not appliccable all the time (I much prefer a tight fingerstyle groove) to say that a P bass is not a 'slapping' bass is just mental. There are millions of players who use P type basses and get fantastic slap tone. I understand you have a viewpoint on this and it is not to your personal taste but why force it upon others so aggressively?! Chill.

I know it's probably going to upset some people but I don't get the 'old is better' thing or the lust for mojo'd basses. I'm sure there are some fine old instruments around - and WOT's are truly excellent examples, but there is an awful lot of poo about too. I think if a bass is, and always has been your bass and the mojo is all your own doing (a la Dave Peacock in the latest issue of BGM), then it's righteous and cool - the guy should be buried with it when he goes.

To me, other people's mojo is like other people's underpants eeuw...but then again I am old and kinda mojo'd myself so what do I know. :)

I don't have an issue with 'mojo'ed' basses per se (though there are limits - when does a nicely worn in bass become a hammered piece of junk?), though I do have serious issues with some of the unplayable heaps that Fender turned out throughout the 70's and early 80's. Fender quality took a downturn soon after CBS took over a basically got worse right up until 83(ish) when Bill Schultz took over and started addressing quality control. There was a time when people gassed for pre '65/'66 basses - now it seems that pre '75 is the magic date, and people are paying accordingly.

To my mind it's the playability of a bass that counts, and that's where too many 70's Fenders fall down. Not that there weren't good basses being turned out during this era, just that you're buying a real pig in a poke if you don't try it first - ie, off ebay. Personally, if I was buying blind I'd prefer to take my chances with two 80's MIJ's rather than one 70's MIA. And to hell with the mojo.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' post='47089' date='Aug 18 2007, 10:44 AM']Fender quality took a downturn soon after CBS took over[/quote]

With respect, this is utter cobblers.

For a looong time after the CBS takeover, Ps and Js continued to be made using stockpiled parts, on the same production lines, with the same machinery, by the same employees who had been there for years.

Things only started to deteriorate when there were wholesale changes to the process aound '73.