Why become a member? ×

Power Supply for Effects

EskimoBassist

Hey

I am looking eventually to purchase some form of multi pedal power for my Fx Pedals. Hence i am looking at getting a powerbank or some kind of powerbrick. I do not want to spending a fortune on pedals!

However i am utterly confused. On Ebay there are many different choices ofcourse, however so far i am split between the 6 Output SoundLab power supply and the 5 Output Power supply. In all honesty it appears that the 5 output older model is better built. I will be looking to run about 4/5 pedals from it, so i suppose either would work.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these pedals? Or infact would you suggest buying a daisy chain, although these seem a little procarious to me, especially as i will be running a Big Muff from it, which ofcourse does not ave the standard Boss Power input.

I have too considered the Gator G-Bus and the Jim Dunlop Brick PSU, but i wont be running any 18v untis, so i discounted them from the equation, however i could be easily swayed back towards the G-Bus if it is considerably better than either of the afformentioned SoundLab units.

Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot!!

Rich

The Gator and the Dunlop require you to use a wall wart, so you might as well just use a wall wart with daisy chain and no brick!
The SoundLabs take too much space, are too heavy and the one I had was giving me shocks after a while! Metal case on a tramsformer = bad idea!

I've had the Rocktron DC OnTap and now I have the GodLyke PowerAll. Both equally great, both with all the adaptors you'll need, the GodLyke has 2 of each kind but the DC OnTap as a couple more varieties I think, and longer lead (about 3.5m if I remember)... GodLyke about £5 more expensive. There's also the OnsSpot which is pretty much the same but I think you have to buy the adaptors separately, maybe I'm wrong... I'm sure you'll have all you need for your big Muff with the 1st two at least...

There's also the Diago which is too expensive for me.
And this great page to help you:

[url="http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/psu.htm"]http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/psu.htm[/url]

[quote name='Muse_Cubed' post='46692' date='Aug 17 2007, 12:56 AM']I'm a huge Diago fan, their power supply does 3,000ma and you can keep adding to your daisy chains plus there are several different adaptors available (for the EHX type 9v connectors, 18V pedals etc.). They're about 50 quid and worth every penny.[/quote]

+ 1 for the Diago. Mainly got mine as I knew I could get a converter from them to power my 18v Trace Elliot compressor, but I still had to nip down to Maplin and get a tip converter so as it would fit!
£30 off Ebay too, includin shipping!

Andy

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='46739' date='Aug 17 2007, 08:27 AM']diago all the way - tiny, noise free, powers everything properly.
stick it on your board and off you go.[/quote]
Another +1 for Diago ... and their customer service is excellent. I asked James if a 12V cable was available and he made one up for me.