Why become a member? ×

What's the best Bass for a beginner?

Crazyforkillua

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='46712' date='Aug 16 2007, 11:23 PM']Short question, Huuuuge answer.

Give us a clue...
What sort of stuff do you play?
What don't you like about the Carvin?

Pete.[/quote]
Sorry :)

Punk Rock

The carvin is just meh...I hate the 5th string. I never use it and it just bothers me. I want a 4 string Bass but I'm only using the Carvin because we had it laying around and I've been playing tabs on it since December.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='46980' date='Aug 17 2007, 04:05 PM']For Punk I'd go with a US Fender Highway 1 Precision or a Fender japan 70s Precision reissue. The highway 1 will get nicely mojoed up from playing wear over time.

Sorry I couldn't resist - no offence intended: :huh:
[/quote]
I use like alot? I thought I only said it once where I said I didn't like my Carvin :)

Anyway, I check the two basses and the Highway 1 looks nice, but it's not on zzsounds, guitar center, Samedaymusic, etc. Is it still being made?

Punk = Fender - thats the way it is. Most punk players used precisions - im talking proper punks not the re-issue. Get the best P bass you can afford. I'm guessing you are in the US so its difficult to work out what your budget really is cos the prices are f***ed in the UK, despite the exchange rate.

I'll have to go with the consensus here - get a Precision. One caveat though - take someone who knows their Fenders along with you when you go to get it.

In the lower end of their price bracket, Fender's quality control is a little suspect. Two models of the same bass may sound and play totally differently - one might sound dead, and the other growly and punchy. Bring someone along who is used to the differences.

[quote name='bassboy115' post='47068' date='Aug 18 2007, 02:40 AM']definatelly Fender... The new Highway ones look great for the money! What kind of punk is it is it pop unk kinda stuff or proper punk stuff? If its pop punk what about maybe mark hoppus sig bass or mike dirnt?[/quote]
Yea, pop punk. I want a Mark Hoppus bass, but my friend says they're a load of crap :)

I'm a huge Mark Hoppus fan. My sig can prove that :huh:

How are those basses?

[quote name='Crazyforkillua' post='47265' date='Aug 19 2007, 01:52 AM']Yea, pop punk. I want a Mark Hoppus bass, but my friend says they're a load of crap :)

I'm a huge Mark Hoppus fan. My sig can prove that :huh:

How are those basses?[/quote]

I have not played one of the Mark Hoppus basses but they use seymour duncan quarter pounders which are very good pick ups, quite bright sounding , lots of punch. The only thing with the Mark Hoppus bass is that there is no tone control so there is only really one sound with that bass , however thats the idea behind that bass is that you just plug in the bass and play it. I would definately have a look at those basses if I had the money and I was looking to buy a fender.

[quote name='Crazyforkillua' post='47265' date='Aug 19 2007, 01:52 AM']Yea, pop punk. I want a Mark Hoppus bass, but my friend says they're a load of crap :)[/quote]

Did your friend give a reason for his opinion. Has he played a Hoppus?

I see no reason why a Hoppus would be a load of crap. I'm not keen on the styling, but I doubt it would be much difference between it and any other MIM precision apart from the jazz body and it has a great Pickup. Mexican Jazzes & Precisions are consistently very nice instruments these days. Have you seen the MIM Mike Dirnt Bass?

[quote name='Crazyforkillua' post='46711' date='Aug 17 2007, 04:13 AM']I honestly have no clue which bass to get. I have a 5 string Carvin bass but I don't like it very much. Can somebody tell me whats the best bass I could get for like up to $850?

Thanks.[/quote]

Hi, Just seen this Fender P Bass on Ebay , very good price might be worth a look , auction ends today though
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-lovely-condition_W0QQitemZ250154055766QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Fender P Bass on Ebay[/url]

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='47275' date='Aug 19 2007, 02:56 AM']Did your friend give a reason for his opinion. Has he played a Hoppus?

I see no reason why a Hoppus would be a load of crap. I'm not keen on the styling, but I doubt it would be much difference between it and any other MIM precision apart from the jazz body and it has a great Pickup. Mexican Jazzes & Precisions are consistently very nice instruments these days. Have you seen the MIM Mike Dirnt Bass?[/quote]

His opinion is that signature basses/guitars are for newbies to spend all their money on a Bass/guitar for some mock of their favorite guitarist/bassist's guitar/bass. (Only the Geddy Lee Sig Bass is acceptable to him) He's on the forums, I'll tell him to post later. I haven't seen the Mike Dirnt Bass, but I'll check it out now, thanks. :)

[quote name='markdavid' post='47318' date='Aug 19 2007, 06:48 AM']Hi, Just seen this Fender P Bass on Ebay , very good price might be worth a look , auction ends today though
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Precision-Bass-lovely-condition_W0QQitemZ250154055766QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Fender P Bass on Ebay[/url][/quote]
THe only problem there is that I think they're only selling to UK :/ I'm in New York :huh:

[quote name='Crazyforkillua' post='47402' date='Aug 19 2007, 03:22 PM']His opinion is that signature basses/guitars are for newbies to spend all their money on a Bass/guitar for some mock of their favorite guitarist/bassist's guitar/bass. (Only the Geddy Lee Sig Bass is acceptable to him)[/quote]

Why are they for newbies trying to copy someone...Geddy Lee has two Jaco Pastorius sig basses!

If you really like Mark Hoppus and his sound why dont u just try and track one down and give it a go... If you like it and feel comfortable playing it thats all that matters!

[quote name='E_MaN' post='47437' date='Aug 19 2007, 04:47 PM']buy the bass that inspires you to play[/quote]

E_MaN speaks the truth. You already have a Carvin, which is probably a very nice bass but doesn't sound like it particularly inspires you. Its much better to have a bass that you want to pick up and play every time you walk into the room.

You can safely ignore your friend's opinion about the Hoppus - as the saying goes "opinions are like a******s: everyone has one and most of them stink" :))

[quote name='bassboy115' post='47068' date='Aug 18 2007, 07:40 AM']definatelly Fender... The new Highway ones look great for the money! What kind of punk is it is it pop unk kinda stuff or proper punk stuff? If its pop punk what about maybe mark hoppus sig bass or mike dirnt?[/quote]

I's say the Hoppus, the Mike Dirnt, or a MIJ 70's reissue P Bass.

For the 70's reissue try looking here: [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=3"]Guitar Emporium[/url]

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='lwtait' post='50696' date='Aug 25 2007, 09:17 PM']I's say the Hoppus, the Mike Dirnt, or a MIJ 70's reissue P Bass.

For the 70's reissue try looking here: [url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=3"]Guitar Emporium[/url][/quote]
Good link - but which part of "i'm in New York" did you not understand?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

[quote name='lwtait' post='50696' date='Aug 25 2007, 08:17 PM']I's say the Hoppus, the Mike Dirnt, or a MIJ 70's reissue P Bass.[/quote]

I completely agree here. My only point is that i make ibanez sound like a precision and it has a far nicer neck!

It's nice to have a another mark hoppus fan on here a thought i was the only one!