Why become a member? ×

Help! Shipping Advice Please - Packing a bass without a hardcase

justinlalaland

Hi All,

Ive sold my trusty bass and am wondering how the hell to pack it safely for shipping. I have to send it up north and I dont have the box or a hardcase. It does have a heavy duty bag but im concerned about the neck getting bent or worse during shipping. Anyone have an good advise on how to get this safely packed and whos best to ship with?

Cheers,

Justin

[quote name='justinlalaland' post='46843' date='Aug 17 2007, 01:40 PM']Ive sold my trusty bass and am wondering how the hell to pack it safely for shipping. I have to send it up north and I dont have the box or a hardcase. It does have a heavy duty bag but im concerned about the neck getting bent or worse during shipping. Anyone have an good advise on how to get this safely packed and whos best to ship with?[/quote]
Loosen the strings. Then, in order of preference:
1. Get the buyer to collect, or deliver the bass yourself if you only have a gig bag.
2. If using a courier; buy a hard case and box that in good packaging. Get insurance.
3. Don't use Parcel Force, ever.

Use a small bass guitar box which squiers etc come in if possible, they should have polystyrene inserts to support the head, neck and strap button. Pack THAT box into a larger box with plenty of bubble wrap in between. I did this with my Bacchus 24 and also put the soft case in the outer box. Worked a treat.

As per who to use - it is a gamble either way - it depends on the individual in the warehouse. I have always used DHL without any problams.

ped

Your local guitar shop should have some empty boxes kicking around, if you can get of those it would be good, and some bubble wrap to push in and keep tight within the box.

+1 on parcelforce, someone like Citylink would be a better option. My new bass came from GAK on Citylink and arrived here almost in tune.

Steve

Make sure you check the terms and conditions from the courier you decide to use. For example, Parcel Force will only pay out insurance claims (if it gets damaged in transit) if the bass is in a hard case. Crap but true.

If you're looking for recommendations, I used InterParcel recently to ship a bass to Portugal. It reached there safe & sound, and they provided online tracking.

Mark.

I sent a lovely Ibanez in a heavy duty gig bag. Wrapped the bass in shed loads of bubble wrap, whacked it in the gig bag and any space left I put those air bubbel bags in there. Then I bubble wrapped the gig bag. Took it down the post office and sent it via special delivery! didn't think that I would get away with it but it arrived safe and sound next day in it's own van! Don't know if you can still send something so big still now the posting rules have changed!