Why become a member? ×

Bass Tuition Chesham/Bucks

fingerz

Hi all,

I give bass tuition from home as well as at a college in London. I'm a professional bass player and regularly teach bass chatters in my local area and beyond.

Any level/style covered. I'm enthusiastic, patient and will tailor lessons to what you need to, or want to learn. As well as bass focused tuition, I teach general musicianship to make you a more rounded musician. Competitive rates too.

Do get in touch on here or feel free to call me for a chat about what you are looking for.

Rates:
£25/hr or £15 half hr.

Thanks,

Jo Phillpotts BA (hons)

www.jophillpotts.com

Edited by fingerz

• 3 months later...

[quote name='fingerz' post='443895' date='Mar 24 2009, 04:36 PM']I thought I'd stick an ad on here incase anyone is looking for lessons in my area..

Any level/style covered. I'm enthusiastic, patient and will tailor lessons to what you need to, or want to learn. As well as bass focused tuition, I teach general musicianship to make you a more rounded musician.

Do get in touch on here or feel free to call.

Rates:
£20/hr or £12 half hr.

Thanks,

Jo Phillpotts BA (hons)
07719154668[/quote]
Hello Jo,
It sounds like you're just the person I'm looking for. I live in Chesham and have recently started playing the bass. I want to be able to read music and play bass at the same time and be able to jam with a drummer. Because I work I am restricted to lessons in the evening. After 6pm. I will give you a call towards the end of this week and hopefully fix up my first lesson with you.
Impy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='md3' post='1019350' date='Nov 10 2010, 09:58 PM']Jo comes highly recommended. Lovely guy, great player and very good teacher. I have seen a lot of progress in a very short timescale!

Mark[/quote]

Thanks Mark. Hope to catch you soon, stay in touch bro!

Jo

• 8 months later...

Hi Jo,

Are you still teaching in the Chesham Area? I used to play guitar in a handful of bands last century but then got a career, mortgages, family etc and have hardly brushed a string for years (apart from 'wheels on the bus' and 'puff the magic dragon' etc for my kids....). However, I have always had a bass itch and have recently treated myself to a cheap Yamaha to try before I buy something a but more special. I live just the other side of Amersham from you and am looking for someone to help me on my way.

Cheers,
Ian

• 7 months later...

I also have a small website with more about me/sound clips etc..

http://jophillpotts.com/www.jophillpotts.com/Home.html

Always nice to hear from new people and start new students so please feel free to get in touch for a chat if you're thinking about lessons in the area.

• 2 months later...

I can highly recommend Jo,

After a great many years away from bands and gigging (mortgage, family, 'proper' career etc) I decided to learn a new instrument. I always fancied trying the bass so bought myself a cheap eBay Yamaha and took up lessons with Jo (see my post above). Now, after 10 months of a lesson a week I have become quite competent. Jo has provided the balance between proper technical discipline and fun I was looking for. As a result I bought myself a Limited edition Gibson Heritage SG bass and Laney amp and am starting to look for musicians to Jam with. All this despite only being able to practice a couple of hours a week!

As Jo said to me after one lesson: "you are proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks". Whilst at the time I was not quite sure how to take this he is quite right, I may be an old dog but I am an old dog with a new talent thanks to him.

Thanks Jo!

[quote name='boggie' timestamp='1352808184' post='1867597']
I can highly recommend Jo,

After a great many years away from bands and gigging (mortgage, family, 'proper' career etc) I decided to learn a new instrument. I always fancied trying the bass so bought myself a cheap eBay Yamaha and took up lessons with Jo (see my post above). Now, after 10 months of a lesson a week I have become quite competent. Jo has provided the balance between proper technical discipline and fun I was looking for. As a result I bought myself a Limited edition Gibson Heritage SG bass and Laney amp and am starting to look for musicians to Jam with. All this despite only being able to practice a couple of hours a week!

As Jo said to me after one lesson: "you are proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks". Whilst at the time I was not quite sure how to take this he is quite right, I may be an old dog but I am an old dog with a new talent thanks to him.

Thanks Jo!
[/quote]

Thanks Ian for your kind words. Your cheque's in the post!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys, I just thought I'd bump up my ad and keep things current! I am enjoying my private students, many from here, so am always happy to meet bass players for weekly or flexible tuition as it suits you. I had some new starters from the xmas deal I offered, but their course of 6 lessons will end soon, so I'll be able to take on some more people.

You can check out my website and my Increasing youtube bank of playalongs if you would like to find out more about me...

W: www.jophillpotts.com

YT: http://www.youtube.com/user/jopbass1?blend=1&ob=0

Cheers hope all is groovin'.

• 5 months later...

Hello hello!

I'm pretty flexible, so you're more than welcome to come round for a lesson and take it from there if you'd like. Though regular lessons are really the only way to push your playing on a bit.

Thanks for the message and look forward to hearing from you soon!

Jo

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1375430110' post='2161031']
Jo, i think you could be the man I've been looking for...and I've never said that before... :blink:
[/quote]

Well I take any compliment wherever they come from! Look forward to meeting up soon.

Cheers,

Jo

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Deets' timestamp='1378756355' post='2204372']
Jo's my third teacher and its definitely third time lucky. Great player, great teacher and top bloke. Great blend of (applied) music theory, technique and all round bass laying knowledge. Highly recommended.
[/quote]

Thank you very much Neal. I'm glad we manage to get some serious stuff in around chatting about basses and gear in general! It's because you're so dedicated and enthusiastic that things are sinking in. Hope you're still enjoying the new toy!
Best wishes,
Jo

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...