Why become a member? ×

Barts, DiMarzios or Low winders?

The Burpster

I've got my project bass up and playing.....

Started life 26 yrs ago as an Ibanez Blazer, I have not altered the wood ( it would be sacrilige to do so! ) but everything else has been updated ......

Except the pups, Now I'm at a crossroads and undecided. Its a std split P bass pup and I have the Ibanez adjustable pole pup in it still. Its OK but sounds a bit zingy if that makes sense?

So I was wondering what experience you folkies have of the Bartolinis, Dimarzio, and Low winder replacement P pups? I've treid the SD 1/4pounder and it just sounds wrong for this beastie.... (that being said I might add the SPB-2 to this list !)

Opinions please? :)

I've had both the Dimarzio DP122 & a Bartolini p'up in my P-bass.

From what i remember, the Dimarzio is real nice (i havn't had it in for a few years), hotter then a standard passive p'up.
The Bart is a bit more of a 'compressed' sound, typically Bart, but is quite quiet. Most people will tell you that Barts really do benefit a lot from an active preamp to realise their potential!
I think in the next few weeks i'm going to put the Dimarzio back in, so my Bart might be up for sale

Si