Why become a member? ×

String gauges

Beedster

I realised recently thet a) I have about 30 sets of old strings that were played a few hours each, and :) I quite like a smaller range between highest and lowest guage than most stock sets are supplied in. So....
I bought a digital micrometer (I think that's what it's called) thinking that I would put together some sets of, for example, 45/60/75/90 and 50/65/85/100 just to try them out. Anyway, I started going though all my old sets and it seems that all my old Ernie Ball strings are, in terms of gauge, spot on what they should be (i.e., what the bag says), which is a big up to EBMM and suggests that the micrometer is working OK. However, some sets of Rotosounds, and most significantly, my D'Addario and TI flatwounds (the strings I'm currently playing) are way off, with, the the former a string that's supposed to be a 45 coming in at 52 and a 60 in at 70! Is this crap QC or did someone put the wrong strings in the bag (funny thing is, I really like the set in question and that's probably the result of the fact that the two top strings are slighly heavier than they were supposed to be)?
Chris

[quote name='Tinman' post='47185' date='Aug 18 2007, 06:28 PM']Chris.

Are you talking about the D'Addarios you got from me? If so then they are supposed to be 50 to 105, at least that's what they're supposed to be.
50-70-85-105[/quote]

No, they're pretty much OK mate, I got a lighter set from the bay which aren't though. Well, they are 'cos I prefer heavier strings anyway. I posted tha boveas I was wondering if others have come across the same problem. I can imagine strings could get lighter with use, but heavier?
Chris