Why become a member? ×

Fit the neck to the pocket, or the pocket to the neck?

pete.young

Amongst the pile of bits that I'm slowly assembling into a bass, I have a Mighty Mite Jazz neck, unmolested, and a routed body acquired from someone on Bassworld ages ago. The neck is slightly too big for the pocket, and needs to be made to fit.

What is the best way to proceed, sand the neck heel until it fits the body, or open out the pocket until it fits the neck? The routing on the body is not great so I'm inclined to suspect this is the problem.

Assuming you won't be moving the neck elsewhere, (and its not way off) I'd take a bit off both. Its easier to sand a small amount off, and you're less likely to distort straight edges. Use a block to help keep things flat, and try the fit often to check progress.

Good luck

BB

I would make a pattern in MDF from the neck and use that to rout the neck pocket to the right size (assuming I hadn't already got a pattern to fit)

It's important that it's done correctly though, or the neck won't line up, so if in doubt, get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you.

Taking material off both pocket and neck increases the chance of error, so I'd think twice before doing that.

Thanks for all the replies and sorry that this took me a while - couldn't find the vernier :-(

The neck is 2.54 inches at its widest part. The pocket is 2.52 inches at its widest part.

The rest of the routing on this body is nothing special and will need some more work, though
it'll be covered up by scratchplate and fitting a different bridge P/U. Given that, and that the
body is nothing special, I'm inclined to follow Paul_C's suggestion. At least that way if I cock
it up, I've still got a pristine neck and all I need to do is find another body.