Why become a member? ×

Shuker EUBs

kjb

Welcome to the ongoing saga of me taking up upright bass.

I've been going on about this for months, it was going to be a real acoustic double bass, and then it was going to an EUB and then it was a double bass again, and so on....

Anyway, I spent an hour or so in a local music shop last week, Turners violins in Birmingham, they were very helpful, and demonstrated the instruments for me.
I'd forgotten just how heavy and big these things are, I played one a couple of times many years ago at college, but only briefly, (actually for a total of about 10 minutes).

So it's now definately an EUB that I want, I went and ordered an NS design but cancelled the order, I fancy something a bit different, either a Shuker or one of the Mo Clifton basses.

I've read some excellent reviews of the Clifton basses, it'd be the mini bass that I'd go for, but I can't seem to find any reviews of the Shuker EUB, has anyone got one, or can anyone let me know how they sound and play.
I've played his bass guitars a couple of times, and been impressed with the build quality.

Hey dude, i have a Shuker 36" scale EUB. You're more then welcome to come and try it.
I'm in High Wycombe, out along the M40 west of london.

Si

[quote name='kjb' post='47372' date='Aug 19 2007, 01:50 PM']Welcome to the ongoing saga of me taking up upright bass.

I've been going on about this for months, it was going to be a real acoustic double bass, and then it was going to an EUB and then it was a double bass again, and so on....

Anyway, I spent an hour or so in a local music shop last week, Turners violins in Birmingham, they were very helpful, and demonstrated the instruments for me.
I'd forgotten just how heavy and big these things are, I played one a couple of times many years ago at college, but only briefly, (actually for a total of about 10 minutes).

So it's now definately an EUB that I want, I went and ordered an NS design but cancelled the order, I fancy something a bit different, either a Shuker or one of the Mo Clifton basses.

I've read some excellent reviews of the Clifton basses, it'd be the mini bass that I'd go for, but I can't seem to find any reviews of the Shuker EUB, has anyone got one, or can anyone let me know how they sound and play.
I've played his bass guitars a couple of times, and been impressed with the build quality.[/quote]

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm probably way too late here, but can I put in a vote for the BSX Allegro ?

My quest was for an EUB that sounded as near to an real upright as I could get. I tried NS CR4/5 and WAV, Warwick Triumph, Palatino, Eminence, Vektor, an older Bassix, and probably a couple more. The one that really convinced me was the Allegro.

[url="http://www.bsxbass.com/allegro.html"]http://www.bsxbass.com/allegro.html[/url]

It has to be said they're not terribly easy to find in this country ... but Dino (the builder) seems to offer an export deal that means he absorbs the shipping price and you get it for the same price as someone in the U.S.

Andy