Why become a member? ×

Bass at uni

dtbass

Hey,
so after a successful exam results day, im off to bristol :) , but a question to those who have previously gone off and lived in halls, shared houses etc. What should i take bass-wise? I don't see that i will need my hartke head and cab, at least not for the first term. Also, apparently, my first choice halls has a music room which has a drum kit, and possibly guitar/bass amps.
Would a headphone amp (or in my case, running headphones off my me-50b) be ok, or should i look for a practice amp too?

Also, security? Should i take my best bass? Granted, its not the most expensive, but still, should i take my less expensive backup?

(I remember a couple of threads along the same lines back on BW, but can't find any on here)

Cheerz, Dom

That's a tough question. Until you've actually seen your halls you won't know how secure the place is. Assuming that each room has its own lock, there shouldn't be much danger in taking your best bass.

If you just want to keep your chops up during term time, a headphone amp / practice amp will do. If you want to gig out there, you might get away with not having an amp there at all.

I went to Bristol Uni too (granted it was a hundred years ago or so) and stayed in Clifton halls of Residence. It was pretty secure, so taking your decent kit wouldn't be too much of a risk (even less if you insure it).

Personally I'd say take it all down. The number of bands and music venues down in Bristol is amazing and you may find yourself wanting to get involved at some stage (there's nothing worse than finding yourself in that situation with all your gear somewhere else in the country!!)

[quote name='Machines' post='47882' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:25 PM']Headphone amp is a must - the walls are pretty thin.[/quote]

I didn't get that at all! The walls were rock solid, the floors were the problem. That said as long as I was playing in the same key as the music in my friend's room upstairs she was happy :)

i dont leave 'till next year. hopefully. but i got my ashdown perfect 10 minirig today ready to take to uni next year- plus i wanted an amp for my room now cos i cant get the marshall cab upstairs :)
a friend of mines going to uni in a few weeks to and hes after the same amp as me or soemthing similar- small enough for room use and easy enough to move, with headphone output, but thats loud enough for small gigs. he toyed with a little combo that could just ram into whatever cab was available too.

security wise are the rooms insured for whats left in them? and how far would you have to travel just go home and fetch a better bass if you need?

im off to uni to do my masters in sept. Im moving in to a house so its different but i will be taking my markbass head and my swr 2x10. This way i can use it for room practice and its easily loud enough to gig with. Bass wise im not sure i think i will take my six string and my f/l musicman oh and maybe my jazz.

I took my bass, effects and a 1x12 combo with me to halls. Didn't play very loudly though, the amp was overkill. Depends how much space you have in your room really. If you're going to buy an amp specifically for uni I would get something like a 20 or 30W practice amp. Security is not much of an issue as long as you're careful with locking your door/window/flat.