Why become a member? ×

Sale of Basschat.co.uk (April Fools!! :P)

Kiwi

Ped and I have been approached by a well known bass publication and have recieved a cash offer plus a percentage on advertising in return for signing over the forum database and Basschat brand. We've thought long and hard about it and decided that with the personal attacks we've both had to put up with in the past and the limited funding we get from the site, its probably for the best.

So from May 1st, Basschat will have new owners. The advertising and direct marketing will probably increase quite a bit but, simply put, the forum has to pay its way. Essentially you'll all see Basschat transformed from a voluntary effort to a grounded business. We'll be keeping the same moderating team and staying on as advisors for a few months but after that it will be up to the new owners.

We'd like to thank you all for your support and contributions over the years and hope the forum continues to grow and improve.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='450994' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:02 AM']Ped and I have been approached by a well known bass publication and have recieved a cash offer plus a percentage on advertising in return for signing over the forum database and Basschat brand. We've thought long and hard about it and decided that with the personal attacks we've both had to put up with in the past and the limited funding we get from the site, its probably for the best.

So from May 1st, Basschat will have new owners. The advertising and direct marketing will probably increase quite a bit but, simply put, the forum has to pay its way. Essentially you'll all see Basschat transformed from a voluntary effort to a grounded business. We'll be keeping the same moderating team and staying on as advisors for a few months but after that it will be up to the new owners.

We'd like to thank you all for your support and contributions over the years and hope the forum continues to grow and improve.[/quote]

I'll be the first to :)

OMG!

(what happens re data protection? i don't want to get a sh*t-load of advertising junk mail through the post or via email!)

can't say i blame you though..... there's been alot of crap banded about on here over the last few months, & unfortunately alot of 'regulars' have disappeared too.

[quote name='ednaplate' post='451014' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:26 AM']I'm not sure I like the sound of this at all.[/quote]

I share your concerns.

I was saying to one of my guitarists on sunday eve how us UK (and beyond) bass players have this forum, and as far as I'm aware, other musos don't have anything of anywhere near the same standard, with such a great sense of community and cameraderie. I hope these two qualities survive the transition. I don't know of anywhere else on the web that has such soul.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='451039' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:59 PM']I know where I'm not wanted. :)[/quote]

Dont be silly wayne. your a regular dude on here so i will let you in plus you seem like a decent chap,and besides you play a jazz bass and live in canterbury where i lived for a bit

[quote name='YouMa' post='451034' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:51 AM']I may start my own forum now,for rare groove funk and jazz bass players,no riff raff or pastiche punk kids who cant really play,haw haw haw haw.....Only joking.[/quote]

What if you like both :)

Can I come in, it's cold out here!

[quote name='AM1' post='451042' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:06 AM']What if you like both :rolleyes:

Can I come in, it's cold out here![/quote]

The rules dont apply to women as they are in short supply bass playing wise,so all are welcome. Especially ones who wear rubber. :)

Edited by YouMa

A bit of a shock but really well deserved for the guys. I hope you made a good whack Kiwi and Ped. My hopes are that it wont change the feel of the forum because without a doubt this is the best place for bass players to get together and share. In actual fact our guitard and drum bretheren have nothing close to this so we rule. However if it all falls flat on its proverbial in the future, Id like to thank all involved for the last year cos its all down to this site and the people that run/contribute that I have
a. Returned from the non playing wilderness
b. Joined a cracking little band and enjoying the hell out of it
c. Improved my playing beyond measure
d. Have become flat broke owing to excessive GAS and a spiralling out of control Effects addiction.

Nice One

[quote name='YouMa' post='451044' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:09 AM']The rules dont apply to women as they are in short supply bass playing wise,so all are welcome. Especially ones who wear rubber. :)[/quote]

Will a sweatband do?!

Ho ho.

:rolleyes:

[quote name='Maxcat' post='451047' date='Apr 1 2009, 01:10 AM']A bit of a shock but really well deserved for the guys. I hope you made a good whack Kiwi and Ped. My hopes are that it wont change the feel of the forum because without a doubt this is the best place for bass players to get together and share. In actual fact our guitard and drum bretheren have nothing close to this so we rule. However if it all falls flat on its proverbial in the future, Id like to thank all involved for the last year cos its all down to this site and the people that run/contribute that I have
a. Returned from the non playing wilderness
b. Joined a cracking little band and enjoying the hell out of it
c. Improved my playing beyond measure
d. Have become flat broke owing to excessive GAS and a spiralling out of control Effects addiction.

Nice One[/quote]

I have bought some great stuff (and hopefully sold some as well) on basschat learnt a great deal, i'm on a downer at the moment, hopefully the site wont change too much and will continue as its done before.