Why become a member? ×

bass cab design

Chopthebass

Does anyone know the simplist way of correctly sizing up cabinets for given drivers, and also correctly calculating port sizes? Most speaker manufacters list the design parameters, all I need is som formulas or methods of calculating volume! I'm sure the brainpower is out there in BW!

Cheers

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='47678' date='Aug 20 2007, 12:50 PM']Does anyone know the simplist way of correctly sizing up cabinets for given drivers, and also correctly calculating port sizes? Most speaker manufacters list the design parameters, all I need is som formulas or methods of calculating volume! I'm sure the brainpower is out there in BW!

Cheers[/quote]
Win isd is a good program for Diy cabs -- Download Here

[url="http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd"]http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd[/url]

Regards -- Will.

I prefer WinISD Pro but it is a fair bit harder on the brain - though worth the effort IMO.

What's your situation, are you looking to upgrade an existing cab with a new speaker, build a cab for some speakers you already have, or do a new design from scratch? Budget/needs?

I've been through a ton of my own theoretical designs over the past year and despite having some great ideas (if I say so myself!) I've actually settled on a BFM design instead...

Alex

[quote name='The Funk' post='47813' date='Aug 20 2007, 05:07 PM']Does that mean the Acme cabs will be up for sale soon? :)[/quote]

Nope! Despite my best efforts I can't come up with a better compact cab design than the Low-B2. I'll be keeping the Acmes for rehearsals and recording (hopefully one in each location to minimise cartage) and the Omni 15TB will be the stupidly loud gig solution.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='47808' date='Aug 20 2007, 05:03 PM']I prefer WinISD Pro but it is a fair bit harder on the brain - though worth the effort IMO.

What's your situation, are you looking to upgrade an existing cab with a new speaker, build a cab for some speakers you already have, or do a new design from scratch? Budget/needs?

I've been through a ton of my own theoretical designs over the past year and despite having some great ideas (if I say so myself!) I've actually settled on a BFM design instead...

Alex[/quote]

Alex,

I've ordered a DB750 and Schroeder 210212 cab, and I was thinking of adding a 1x15 cab with about 500w power handling at 4-ohms. This will bring the overall stack down to 2-ohms and unleash the full power of the head. I want the cab to have the same footprint as the Schroeder and be tuned as low as poss. I was thinking of using a B & C 15NDL76. The cab needs to be 584mm wide x 406mm deep, and the height will be whatever volume is required. Ideally I'd like the cab as low as poss.

I'll have a go at WinISD, unless someone out there tells me the answer first!

Thanks

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='47678' date='Aug 20 2007, 12:50 PM']Does anyone know the simplist way of correctly sizing up cabinets for given drivers, and also correctly calculating port sizes? Most speaker manufacters list the design parameters, all I need is som formulas or methods of calculating volume! I'm sure the brainpower is out there in BW!

Cheers[/quote]
you could check out CPC catalogue it's a stockest of celestion and emminance speakers they did sell a book on the baffeling ' porting litres sq'd topic, i did get a copy , worth tring online catalogue, ?

[quote name='G MAjor' post='47914' date='Aug 20 2007, 08:15 PM']you could check out CPC catalogue it's a stockest of celestion and emminance speakers they did sell a book on the baffeling ' porting litres sq'd topic, i did get a copy , worth tring online catalogue, ?[/quote]

OK will do, Thanks

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='47875' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:17 PM']I've ordered a DB750 and Schroeder 210212 cab, and I was thinking of adding a 1x15 cab with about 500w power handling at 4-ohms. This will bring the overall stack down to 2-ohms and unleash the full power of the head. I want the cab to have the same footprint as the Schroeder and be tuned as low as poss. I was thinking of using a B & C 15NDL76. The cab needs to be 584mm wide x 406mm deep, and the height will be whatever volume is required. Ideally I'd like the cab as low as poss.[/quote]

Well the big problem you're up against is that there are hardly any 4 ohm 15" woofers available. Combine that impedance difference with the higher sensitivity of the Schroeder due to its undersized cab and high tuning and you'll barely hear the 15".

The best 15" for bass guitar bottom is the Eminence Kappalite 3015LF IMO. High sensitivity, good Qts for full bottom down to resonance, huge Xmax. Eminence have a selection of 1x15" and 2x15" designs for the 3015LF to save you doing the work yourself, though now I think about it your best best is to go for as large a cab as you're happy carrying and tune it to 50Hz to get a big hump in the lows to keep up with the Schroeder's high-bass hump.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='47982' date='Aug 20 2007, 09:27 PM']Well the big problem you're up against is that there are hardly any 4 ohm 15" woofers available. Combine that impedance difference with the higher sensitivity of the Schroeder due to its undersized cab and high tuning and you'll barely hear the 15".

The best 15" for bass guitar bottom is the Eminence Kappalite 3015LF IMO. High sensitivity, good Qts for full bottom down to resonance, huge Xmax. Eminence have a selection of 1x15" and 2x15" designs for the 3015LF to save you doing the work yourself, though now I think about it your best best is to go for as large a cab as you're happy carrying and tune it to 50Hz to get a big hump in the lows to keep up with the Schroeder's high-bass hump.

Alex[/quote]

Thanks Alex. I've not heard of the Kappalite. I'll check out Eminence web site.