Why become a member? ×

The Lowdown, Issue #2

ped

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the second issue of my ill thought out and irritating little guff that is the basschat newsletter.

[b]-A new bionic Ped thanks everyone for kind support during spinal operation
-Advertising on Basschat - what, where, why and when
-Basschat promotion - free things for every member to enjoy and behold
-The kindest gesture ever
-The Guilford Bass Bash - pictures and notes from the day
-Upcoming events
-AOB
-Future plans for Basschat[/b]

I just wanted to thank everyone who sent a PM or a message or kind thought waves to me during my recent operation on my prolapsed disk! Although I have sold some gear recently to help me survive, your support and help has been great, so thanks to everyone! I am nearly back to normal though I still get bad pain betwixt my shoulder blades and headaches/neck pain and my voice is sodded up but nothing that wasn't expected. 6 weeks and I should be OK!

You may have noticed that there is a google advert on Baschat just below the banner. It is showing up for some people but not for others, I have no idea why but Ben is looking into it. It is unobtrusive, though plans to have a rotating full colour banner from an actual sponsor is in the pipeline - interested parties should contact me via PM or email. We will be looking at how much revenue the google ads create, if it is worth it we will keep them and use the money to fund competitions and pay for room rental at peoples mini-bashes and that kind of thing. So far the Google advert is raising a good amount of revenue - over $100 in just over a week. Keep up to date with developments here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4123"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4123[/url]

Me and Kiwi were up late the other night designing some business cards and stickers in reaction to [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3235&hl=flyer"]this[/url] thread. We have finalised a design for the cards and stickers. We decided to leave it blank on the back so you can put phone numbers etc if you need, otherwise it serves as a nice and simple invitation to check out the site, so pass them on to any bass players you meet at gigs etc. You can put these on your equipment etc and show how much you think we rule.

Here is a screenshot of the business card design and the sticker to the right of that. Don't worry, the sizes are not in proportion - the sticker is actually the length of a DVD case.

[url="http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6364252"][/url]

How can you get hold of these cards and stickers? All you have to do is send a stamped addressed envelope to my address and I will send you back a few cards and a sticker or two depending on stock and response.

[b]Basschat
PO BOX 425
Witney
OX289ER[/b]

We have been able to do this because of the kind donations we have received from you all. This leads me on to my next point:

Basschat member [b]tredders[/b] has stunned everyone at Basschat with a very generous offer. He found an old Epiphone bass in the loft and auctioned it off in the for sale section, and donated the money to Basschat. Needless to say Tredders, we are all very touched by your generosity. What a cool looking bass, too. I would have quite liked that myself. I beleive the new owner is Tayste2000 with a bid of £120. Maybe we will see more of this in the future - but donations like this will allow us at BC to do the opposite - buy some cool bass gadgets and hold a giveaway competition for everyone to take part in. Watch this space, and again, sincere thanks to [b]tredders!!!![/b] *round of applause*

See the thread, and the cool bass, [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3970"]here![/url]

OBBM booked a practice room in Guilford and invited everyone down for a day of meeting other members and trying out gear on Saturday the 18th. It was a really enjoyable day, and I beleive we raised over £100 for the Meningitis Trust which is great. You can see some pictures from the bash [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63&st=180"]here - pictures start on page 10[/url]

[b]Many thanks OBBM[/b]

[i]OBBM, Crazykiwi and G77 chew the fat - this photo by Silverfonix[/i]

---------------------------------------
[b]November 11th 2007[/b]

Bass Day UK 2007

Royal Northern Academy of Music
Manchester
www.bassday.co.uk

Have an event you would like
to be in the 'Lowdown'? Drop
me a line.

[b]Congratulations to DrpepperUK on his new baby[/b]
We received the following from the proud father the other week:
[i]Trace Elliot was born weighing a smidgin under 7lbs on August 9th and is healthy and fine...

...sorry, I meant his name is Jacob.[/i]

What is next for basschat? In response to donation recognition/user subscriptions etc I would like to have a system where a chart is generated showing how close we are to a particular target (either a certain amount of money or a specific upgrade/website purchase) so everyone can see how we are doing and feel their contribution is helping. We are still discussing ideas, but I am hopeful that we will be able to hold a giveaway competition very soon.

[b]Thanks for checking out The Lowdown, and to everyone who contributed to the basschat community this month. As ever, if you have anything you would like to see, let me know via email, PM or on this very forum.

Cheers
The basschat team[/b]

Hi Ped

Great to read Lowdown #2 - thanks!

Just a small comment about the photo credits. You credited me for the ones on P10 for the Guildford Bash but they're not mine. The ones I took start on Page 12.

I think Steve took most of the ones on P10 and he and whoever else took some, should get the appropriate credit,

Regards

Nik

Great second Newsletter! I enjoyed reading it :)

And congratulations DrPepperUK! Get him gigging by the age of 4! :huh:

I really like the idea of selling something and giving the profits straight to BC. I'll have a hunt around for things :huh:

Maybe we could get some auctions going for other things? Like asking for signed CDs, etc. then auctioning them on here and the profit going to basschat?

Great idea. I will get right onto it. Soon I will be advertising our first prize give away comp!

Please note basschat address for business card/sticker pack requests and fan mail:

[b]Basschat
PO BOX 425
Witney
OX289ER[/b]

ped