Why become a member? ×

ESP "Eat Fuk" explorer for a Wal mkII 4 string.

I have been looking for a Wal Mk II 4 string for a very long time in a natural finish.

I am willing to trade one of my most prized and rare guitars for a Wal MkII in hopefully a birdseye maple top but am open to other tops as well.

This was what James Hetfield used in the "One" video as well as most of the Damaged Justice tour. Yes this is a real set neck not a bolt on like the other Metallica sigs ESP put out in the past. Edited to add: I mean it is exactley like the one Hetifield used not THE one he uses since he still owns it. Sorry for the confusion

I would also like to add my E-mail so you can contact me at [email protected] and I can give you my Ebay ID so you can view my feedback.

Edited by BlackElan

[quote name='jonthebass' post='452943' date='Apr 3 2009, 12:19 AM']Can I get this staight - Is this Hetfield's actual guitar from the video & tour or a 'sister' to that one?

Regards,
JTB[/quote]

In late 1989 and 1990 they made less than a handfull of these ESP "Eet Fuk" explorers and when Hetfield found out he was pissed because the inlay was his design and he did not want anyone else to have it.

Most of these were sold in Japan and one was sold to Europe, the owner of Jacksonmuseum owned one for a while. I beleive there were less than 10 made.

Hetfields actual Eat Fuk explorer has had the headstock broken multiple times and he recently used it in the recording sessions for Death Magnetic.

This of course is not Hetfield's but one of the few that got released before Hetfield found out.

[quote name='BlackElan' post='452940' date='Apr 3 2009, 08:01 AM']This was what James Hetfield used in the "One" video as well as most of the Damaged Justice tour.[/quote]

[quote name='BlackElan' post='452948' date='Apr 3 2009, 08:27 AM']This of course is not Hetfield's but one of the few that got released before Hetfield found out.[/quote]

:)

Coincidentally, my Fender Precision Bass is the one used by James Jamerson in all the Motown recordings and the Marvin Gaye live footage.

Not the exact one of course, but it's very like it. I'll trade it for a Wal.

[quote name='Beedster' post='453925' date='Apr 4 2009, 10:41 AM']:)

Coincidentally, my Fender Precision Bass is the one used by James Jamerson in all the Motown recordings and the Marvin Gaye live footage.

Not the exact one of course, but it's very like it. I'll trade it for a Wal.[/quote]

I also have that Precision, but all you Wal owners can relax. I am looking for a Ritter.

[quote name='Beedster' post='453925' date='Apr 4 2009, 09:41 AM']Not the exact one of course, but it's very like it. I'll trade it for a Wal.[/quote]
To be fair, whether hetfielf ever played this or not, it's worth a LOT of money, either way.

Coincidentally, my friend has a jackson RR1 in white, an edwards les paul custom in ebony and an edwards forest neck thru, any of which he would be willing to trade for that ESP (maybe even two), drop me a PM matey?

EDIT: says he'll trade you his RR1 and edwards les paul for that (in case you're not in the know, edwards is the japanese division of ESP, so obviously jap made, cost him about 1K)

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='josh3184' post='454410' date='Apr 4 2009, 10:23 PM']never occured to me that guitars could ever be worth as much as basses. Never expected a guitar to have a price tag at over 1K but yet I'm quite happy to expect a bass at that price level.

How odd...[/quote]
Yeah, ESP guitars are quite expensive, plus the pre gibson lawsuit explorers (the curvy ones, as opposed to the newer spiky ones) go for a lot of money because they're rarer and they look nicer, and considering this is pretty much a one off, worth rather a lot!

[quote name='Beedster' post='453925' date='Apr 4 2009, 02:41 AM']:)

Not the exact one of course, but it's very like it. I'll trade it for a Wal.[/quote]

You have a Vintage P-bass? Thats pretty cool I would not trade it for a Wal.

This ESP explorer was a Hetfield signature model that was never supposed to be released. You cant just order a ESP explorer anymore unless you live in Japan.

So lets say you get a ESP explorer in Japan you cant get one with middle finger inlays even if you offer the custom shop there piles of cash.

Its not like I am selling any old explorer and saying its the same guitar Hetfield uses.

I can also pay cash for a Wal MkII I was hoping the ESP explorer would get someone who is hoarding all the Wals to step forward.

I edited the orignal post I did not mean to be misleading in the discription.

Edited by BlackElan

• 2 months later...

[quote name='BlackElan' post='516009' date='Jun 17 2009, 04:58 AM']Bad news is this thing sold on Ebay last month for 5600 US dollars.[/quote]
Ding Dong

I'm sure there comes a time where everyine grows out of playing a guitar with middle-finger-inlays.

Glad it worked out for you and you're getting a grown-up instrument :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='516169' date='Jun 17 2009, 02:01 AM']Ding Dong

I'm sure there comes a time where everyine grows out of playing a guitar with middle-finger-inlays.

Glad it worked out for you and you're getting a grown-up instrument :lol:[/quote]

You are spot on.

That is exactley the reasoning I used to convince myself to let it go. You should have seen the other hideous guitars I sold for stupid money. :rolleyes:

Beleive it or not most of my "Metallica-ugly" style guitars like this went to parents that were buying these guitars for their kids. The Eet Fuk explorer did go to a grown up collector in the UK because I dont know if anyone's children are worth 5600 dollars. :)