Why become a member? ×

How much for a bass gig in pro band

Vasquez Rich

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='47865' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:06 PM']Was in Sound Control on Saturday watching a "Bass & Drums" Masterclass... and the bass guy said that whoever gets to play bass for The Spice Girls reunion tour would get £100,000 a week, A WEEK!!!!! Did I hear correct? Anyone got any info to back this up?[/quote]

Yes, and the moon is indeed made of cheese.

The best paid session bassist I've heard of (whose name currently escapes me) was a guy in the '60s earning a six figure annual wage because he was apparently the only man in the USA who could play Bossa Nova. Don Someone I think... Ray Brown is another that comes to mind - there was a lot of money in TV/film work in those days and the gigging scene was more lucrative too. I doubt any of the current top bassists are earning such a high wage but I'm sure the likes of Pino and Will Lee aren't short of a bob or two.

Blame Jimmy Saville.

Alex

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='47865' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:06 PM']Was in Sound Control on Saturday watching a "Bass & Drums" Masterclass... and the bass guy said that whoever gets to play bass for The Spice Girls reunion tour would get £100,000 a week, A WEEK!!!!! Did I hear correct? Anyone got any info to back this up?[/quote]
Not true.

The object of the Spice Girls reunion is to make them rich, not the poor bloody musicians. A few years back the going rate for the musos in a particular top UK/European stadium touring band, was £1000 a week retainer rising to £1500 a week when gigging.

It would never be £100,000 a week because too many people, including me, would do it for a lot less!!

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:06 PM' post='47865']
Was in Sound Control on Saturday watching a "Bass & Drums" Masterclass... and the bass guy said that whoever gets to play bass for The Spice Girls reunion tour would get £100,000 a week, A WEEK!!!!! Did I hear correct? Anyone got any info to back this up?

Richard

MB1. :)

TWO FOR ONE HEARING AIDS NOW AVAILABLE AT SPECSAVERS!!!!!

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='47865' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:06 PM']...the bass guy said that whoever gets to play bass for The Spice Girls reunion tour would get £100,000 a week, A WEEK!!!!![/quote]
Try lopping a couple of noughts off the end, and that's probably more like it. I'm guessing the bass player in that band's going to be pretty far down the food chain. That said, Posh doesn't look like she eats much, so at least they'll be leftovers at the backstage buffet.

[quote name='stingrayfan' date='Aug 20 2007, 08:50 PM' post='47949']
Try lopping a couple of noughts off the end, and that's probably more like it. I'm guessing the bass player in that band's going to be pretty far down the food chain. That said, Posh doesn't look like she eats much, so at least they'll be leftovers at the backstage buffet.

MB1. :) Thats providing you can get past PORKY SPICE................. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH CRAB PAAAAAASTE!

[quote name='chris_b' post='47922' date='Aug 20 2007, 08:24 PM']Not true.

The object of the Spice Girls reunion is to make them rich, not the poor bloody musicians. A few years back the going rate for the musos in a particular top UK/European stadium touring band, was £1000 a week retainer rising to £1500 a week when gigging.

It would never be £100,000 a week because too many people, including me, would do it for a lot less!![/quote]
So, thats only £50-75k a year. Nice work if you can get it, even if its not grotesquely Beckham-esque.

I have to add that I did not believe what he was saying.. however he did lead up to the Spice Girls quote by saying that whoever played bass for Take That was on £35,000 a week... so I'm pretty sure I heard right. Maybe he meant YEAR.

I thought it was a bit iffy cos I'd read that the Spice Girls were getting a round million for their reunion tour... ten week tour, the same as the band then! :)

Richard

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='48038' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:39 PM']So, thats only £50-75k a year. Nice work if you can get it, even if its not grotesquely Beckham-esque.[/quote]

Especially when you bear in mind that this kind of work is rarely longterm.

Note that the article from Sound On Sound is written by Big George - who wisely went on to supplement his income by composing and arranging music for TV: [url="http://www.biggeorge.co.uk/"]http://www.biggeorge.co.uk/[/url]

Alex

I heard that Darryl Jones was being paid $20,000 a week by The Rolling Stones when touring and a smaller retainer when not. This sounds realistic for a huge act and the fact that Darryl is now an established member of the tours. It cringe to imagine what that numpty Ronnie Wood is on as a full member of that band.

I thought I heared that each of the supremely talented songstresses are likely to net £4m rather than £1m over the course of their tour (short, IIRC - less than 10 gigs in all)?

If the bass player was getting £100,000 it would seem just a tad disproportrionate to me.

And to avoid the "Hey! He's getting paid more than me!" whinges from the ukelele and kazoo players, the whole band would have to be paid at least similarly, no?

Mark