Why become a member? ×

Ramps.......

RichBowman

Almost cr*pped myself earlier.... There I was happily playing away - practicing for an up coming gig; when I noticed I was getting pins and needles in my fingers. Beads of sweat rapidly form on my furrowed brow.....

Subsequent investigation has led me to discover that I've been anchoring my thumb onto my low B string, and the underside of my forearm was cutting across the upper bout of the bass body. I've remedied this by using the forward pickup cover as a resting point, and not I just need to work on my muting technique a little more (that'll teach me for being lazy).

Big sigh of relief. Panic over.

So - I'm not quite getting the attack that I usually do using this technique, the extra inch or so forward of my usual position seems to affect it a fair bit, so for a more permanent remedy, I'm considering sorting out a ramp between the pick-ups. I'll probably get Jon to sort something out as he knows the bass best, and how to go about making one (maybe that matches). IN the meantime, I'm after a temporary solution - which is where you guys come in - any suggestions about how I'd go about this?

Cheers chaps!

Rich

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='48024' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:18 PM'][url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345828&highlight=thumb+rest"]This[/url] popped up over on TalkBass a while back & struck me (& others) as cooler than a very cool thing in the fridge.[/quote]

The thumbrest that preceded my ramp was a small piece of ebony held on just like this. Cunning!

Alex

Cheers chaps, many thanks for the suggestions

I was having a think about putting a very thin ramp (say something like an ice lolly stick) across between the pick ups, not too sure if they'd be too thin and flimsy to support any weight though, might have a go anyway!

If I were to make something a little more solid (say out of balsa wood) to put between the pickups, I'd be a little wary off attaching it to the body with double sided tape - I've got a satin finish (if you can see my bass!) - Would the adhesive damage the finish in any way? - Alex, I'm guessing that you'd know, assuming your Streamer (if that's the bass with the ramp) is an oil finish?

Cheers again,

Rich

Edited by RichBowman

Wow, that looks a very elegant solution, Paul!

There's a hobby store very local to me, so I might pop in there and get some balsa. Then I'm going ot cover it in black electrical tape, squeeze it between the pickups, and maybe tape it to the pickups for a temporary fix while I have a think about what to do for a more permanent solution.

What I'm hoping is that Jon (or whoever) will be able to use the facing of the wood already there to fix over a more permanent ramp, so it keeps the continuity.

Cheers,

Rich