Why become a member? ×

Lakland :: Next question!

NancyJohnson

OK next question. I'm looking at a handful of basses so I need opinions based on this:

My scenario is this. I run an old Precision which I love, but I need a back-up (for tone, failure and variety). Now I've been considering a Geddy Lee Signature. My family circumstances are about to change; we'll be mortgage free and my good lady has given me the nod to buy 'two or three' basses (what a gal!).

The Geddy is a certainty. I will probably sort myself out a Bongo 5HH, but I'm also getting a Lakland horn on at the moment and I'm considering either of the Skyline Joe Osborn or Darryl Jones five-stringers. I'm erring towards the DJ - primarily because I like the styling, the block inlays. It's a Jazz but not really a Jazz. I know this is a bit trivial. I've heard some mp3s (from The Dudepit) and they sound pretty indistinguishable from each other.

Which is the better of the two in your opinions?

If anyone has one (or both) in close proximity to my location (Crowthorne, Berkshire) any chance of a noodle?

Cheers
P

Hey P,

Played a Lakland DJ at Electro the other day & wasn't particularly impressed. It was very heavy & awkward to play, but that could have just been the setup and the inordinately heavy strings! The sound was very flat and dull, and that was through a MarkBass amp as well. I know a lot of people rave about them, so there must be some lovely ones around.

On the other hand, once you've set up a Geddy Jazz how you like it, you won't be able to put it down! Mine is absolutely stunning. Everyone says it's the best bass Fender currently makes.

The Bongo 5HH sounds interesting, too. I've been fancying a Bongo myself for a while - Maybe the 4-stringer with the chrome orange paintjob - Nice!

For me there's no comparison - I wouldn't consider 5 string musicman (musicmen?) basses as the string spacing is too tight for me. Having sat down a few years ago at the gallery and A-B-C'd a US Sadowsky, 2 Moon 5 Jazzes, a Lakland JO5, a Marcus Miller 5, a USA dlx Jazz V and every other 5 in the place (including 2 Sei 5ers and quite an old Shuker 5), there was nothing that could touch the Lakland JO5 in any price range. I even preferred it to the Sadowsky 5, which although s/h was almost double the price of a new JO.

As to what OutToPlayJazz sats about a lakland DJ, it's the one lakland model I've never played but I'm surprised that the experience was a negative one. The only Lakland I don't like is the hollowbody - but hollowbody basses aren't for me anyway. Just my tuppence worth...

I'm at the penny counting stage of a JO5 purchase... Next one to appear here will have my name on it (if I'm quick enough!).

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='48052' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:52 PM']If anyone has one (or both) in close proximity to my location (Crowthorne, Berkshire) any chance of a noodle?

Cheers
P[/quote]

If you can get to Farnham you are welcome to try my DJ4 and DJ5

Haven't played a DJ4, have owned a JO4, JO5 and DJ5.

JO4 was a very retro - feeling and sounding bit of kit. JO5 felt more modern but still had that 60's jazz vibe to the tone, albeit with a little more precision. My DJ5 sounds more like Geddy Lee's tone than the Geddy Lee I owned and certainly has a much more 70s funky jazz bass tone than any of either of the US 75 re-issues I owned.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='48153' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:41 AM']Hey P,

Played a Lakland DJ at Electro the other day & wasn't particularly impressed. It was very heavy & awkward to play, but that could have just been the setup and the inordinately heavy strings! The sound was very flat and dull, and that was through a MarkBass amp as well. I know a lot of people rave about them, so there must be some lovely ones around.[/quote]

OTPJ, the strings were deader than a very dead thing on that bass - I had a go on it on Sunday am. Struck me that with a new set it would be the mutt's

My DJ4 is superbly light to play and sounds a dream. A J retro further transfoms it. The weight is comparable to a P bass coming in at 9lb 5oz but the body size is a littel bit smaller than a standard Jazz. If you can get along to play Dave's then I'm sure we'd all be interested in your views. FWIW, it is the best contructed bass I have overall.

For interest:

[url="http://www.lakland.com/audio.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/audio.htm[/url]

Lakland's great little project.

The DJ4 sounds heavy at 9lb 5oz, my 44-02 is 7lb 7oz and my 55-02 is 9lb 5oz. What would be the major factors here? Both are Ash bodied maple neck instruments.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='martthebass' post='49124' date='Aug 22 2007, 07:07 PM']OTPJ, the strings were deader than a very dead thing on that bass - I had a go on it on Sunday am. Struck me that with a new set it would be the mutt's[/quote]

Yes, Dave's slipping a bit there... I don't know if you tried the JayDee as well, but that's in dire need of some TLC as well. Certainly didn't inspire me to buy either of them! If I ever open a bass shop, all used basses will be set up and have clean strings before they go on sale!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='50701' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:05 PM']Yes, Dave's slipping a bit there... I don't know if you tried the JayDee as well, but that's in dire need of some TLC as well. Certainly didn't inspire me to buy either of them! If I ever open a bass shop, all used basses will be set up and have clean strings before they go on sale![/quote]

I tried both of those at electro a while back and they both needed some love to say the least, also the 20th ann Stingray needed a good set up when I played it.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='50701' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:05 PM']Yes, Dave's slipping a bit there... I don't know if you tried the JayDee as well, but that's in dire need of some TLC as well. Certainly didn't inspire me to buy either of them! If I ever open a bass shop, all used basses will be set up and have clean strings before they go on sale![/quote]

Yes, noticed the JD in the corner looking a bit sorry for itself - didn't pick it up tho. Have to admit it's the first time I've been into Electro and thought the stock was shambolic. It didn't encourage me to get my wallet out....thank God.

The real surprise was the black & white MIM Precision tucked around the corner with the 2nd hand amps. Mega sound and clout. The other one I liked was the black Status shark with the East-esque preamp & the badly re-fitted jack socket. Anyone tried the Sandberg California they have there? I loved that one - Very tempted to buy!