Why become a member? ×

5 String Recommendations

Old Horse Murphy

Due to a number of the songs we're adding to our repetoire, I am seriously thinking baout investing in a 5 string (it will probably be at the expense of my Bongo, but I'm not sure yet).

The basses I'm considering are either a Fender Jazz V or the Stingray 5 string. I had a DJ4 and didn't find that too comfortable, so I'd be interested to hear what people's recommendations are.

Also, if anyone has a 5 stringer that they would considering swapping, P/Xing (whatever) for my Bongo, please let me know.

Thanks

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='48156' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:55 AM']..... if anyone has a 5 stringer that they would considering swapping, P/Xing (whatever) for my Bongo, please let me know.[/quote]
Hi, I have a Musicman Stingray 5, maple neck, tobacco burst, in very good condition, which I would like to sell. I'm not looking for px as I have too much gear already. Cheers.
Chris

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='48156' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:55 AM']Due to a number of the songs we're adding to our repetoire, I am seriously thinking baout investing in a 5 string (it will probably be at the expense of my Bongo, but I'm not sure yet).

The basses I'm considering are either a Fender Jazz V or the Stingray 5 string. I had a DJ4 and didn't find that too comfortable, so I'd be interested to hear what people's recommendations are.

Also, if anyone has a 5 stringer that they would considering swapping, P/Xing (whatever) for my Bongo, please let me know.

Thanks[/quote]
Hi OHM,

Here's a link to my Musicman Sub 5 that is in the For sale forum: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4471"]Musicman Sub 5 For Sale[/url]

It's a great bass which is surplus to my requirements now as I have just acquired a Lakland DJ5 to go for a more passive, vintage jazz bass sound. But if you like the MM Bongo sound, then this might be for you as it has a specially designed John East active circuit that emulates the classic Stingray 4 sound but also has also has a sweepable mid e.q. control for further tonal flexibility!

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='48289' date='Aug 21 2007, 01:21 PM']Hi OHM,

Here's a link to my Musicman Sub 5 that is in the For sale forum: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4471"]Musicman Sub 5 For Sale[/url]

It's a great bass which is surplus to my requirements now as I have just acquired a Lakland DJ5 to go for a more passive, vintage jazz bass sound. But if you like the MM Bongo sound, then this might be for you as it has a specially designed John East active circuit that emulates the classic Stingray 4 sound but also has also has a sweepable mid e.q. control for further tonal flexibility!

Nik[/quote]

That Sub 5 looks flipping sweet!

Funnily enough, I've just ordered the East Eq to fit to one of my Stingrays. I suppose the only issue I have with the Sub (and no offence meant) is that I've played a few in the past and found that they vary considerably in quality. Same as most basses I guess and if I had the time at the moment, I'd certainly try it out.

I'm very glad to hear that I made the right choice in Eq though!!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='48457' date='Aug 21 2007, 05:55 PM']Funnily enough, I've just ordered the East Eq to fit to one of my Stingrays. I suppose the only issue I have with the Sub (and no offence meant) is that I've played a few in the past and found that they vary considerably in quality. Same as most basses I guess and if I had the time at the moment, I'd certainly try it out.

I'm very glad to hear that I made the right choice in Eq though!![/quote]
The Eq is good, definitely. And yes, same make/model basses can vary so much it's incredible. At the Bash on Saturday, there were two USA G&L 5 strings and they sounded very different and felt very different to play. Can't comment on Subs as I've only ever owned this one, which is good!