Why become a member? ×

HELP! PUPs for my newbie Precision

Beedster

Hi folks
I'm looking to upgrade my '73 Precision which has a JPUP installed at the bridge. PPUP is original and JPUP is of the same era. JPUP is right up hard against the bridge. The main probs at the moment are a lack of real power/punch on both PUPs and a significant difference in output between the two (the JPUP output is considerably lower requiring a move to the controls when switching between the two). Although I recognise the latter is always a bit of a problem with a JPUP at the bridge, it's particularly bad on this particular bass. Ideally I want a really growly/funky JPUP at the bridge and a really punchy PPUP. Any suggestions?
Chris

Edited by Beedster

I asked a similar question a while ago.... a few good suggestions here: -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3272"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3272[/url]

I ended up getting SD Quarterpounders, but haven't had them fitted yet.

Mark.

I noticed when you got it that the J pup was very close to the bridge and I think you are always gonna have problems balancing the two unless you get a really hot one for the bridge. As thats not the original pup anyway I would be inclined to just change that one first. It might be worth checking the wiring as well to make sure it has all been done proper.

Hey Beedster

Time for WoT to repeat his usual mantra...

WIZARDS WIZARDS WIZARDS

My Ps and J all have Wizards now (apart from my fretless, 'cos the original pup hasn't thrown the towel in yet). The beauty with them is that Andy will assemble what you want. For example, on my J the neck pup is slightly overwound, and the bridge pickup is even more overwound to get a bit more welly out of it.

Maybe he could look at doing something like that with your new PJ?

The thing is, if you do get some and they're not to your taste, send 'em back and he'll rewind them for a nominal fee. The man is a gent.

Let me know how you get on...

Thanks folks, just ordered a Thumper P-PUP and an overwound neck J-PUP to match from Wizard. Andy got back to me pretty quick with several ideas and, given that the cost for what is in effect a custom pair of PUPs from him was significantly less than the SD equivalent, I just had to give it a go. Paul, cheers mate, but I think I've lost the passion for actives.
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='48624' date='Aug 21 2007, 10:59 PM']Thanks folks, just ordered a Thumper P-PUP and an overwound neck J-PUP to match from Wizard. Andy got back to me pretty quick with several ideas and, given that the cost for what is in effect a custom pair of PUPs from him was significantly less than the SD equivalent, I just had to give it a go. Paul, cheers mate, but I think I've lost the passion for actives.
Chris[/quote]

You won't regret it!

Hi Bob
That's a great offer, cheers. How much are you looking for?
Chris

[quote name='The Burpster' post='49167' date='Aug 22 2007, 08:13 PM']Chris,

I have an SD 1/4lber sat here doing nowt if you wnat to try a A/B on an SOR basis....

Just a thought in case you start wondering..... "what if I had an SD?"

Bob.[/quote]

Edited by Beedster