Why become a member? ×

Frequency question for the experts

Tinman

This is a question that's been bugging me for a while. From an Eq perspective, where do bass frequencies end and low mid start, where does low mid end and high mid start and so on?
My Trace 1210 has an Eq that is as follows: 30Hz - 40Hz - 60Hz - 100Hz - 130Hz - 340Hz - 660Hz - 1.3Khz - 2.6Khz - 5Khz - 10Khz - 15Khz so looking at those frequencies, where are the demarcation lines?

Another question for you sound wizards: Thinking from the point of view that I'm now using a USA Jazz as my main bass, what would you boost/cut to get a nice mellow sound but with lots of thump that would cut through 2 guitarists and a loud drummer playing mainly rock?

I'm thinking of switching out the pre-shape feature as I've seen a lot of talk of it being a mid scoop and that mids are my friend.

You've probably guessed by now that I'm still not happy with my sound and if someone could give me a starting point I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks guys

Pete

Approximately:

Sub-bass - 30Hz (rumble)
Low-bass - 40Hz (rumble/depth)
Bass - 60Hz (depth/fatness)
Mid-bass - 100Hz (fatness/boom)
High-bass - 130Hz (fatness/boom/thickness)
Low/mid-mids - 340Hz (thickness/growl)
Mid/high-mids - 660Hz (growl/nasality)
High-mids/low-treble - 1.3Khz (nasality/bite)
Brightness - 2.6Khz
Sheen - 5Khz
Air - 10Khz
Too high - 15Khz

Alex

[quote name='Tinman' post='48216' date='Aug 21 2007, 11:13 AM']So do you think, to get the sound I'm after I should be boosting the 40 to 130Hz range and cutting the rest?[/quote]

No, that's a recipe for disaster!

Set the EQ flat, turn the preshape off, neck pickup at max, bridge pickup rolled back a bit. Roll off the tone knob to mellow things out. Try some small tweaks to the graphic EQ but ignore the sound when the bass is soloed, concentrate on the change when the rest of the band is playing. Suss out what works for your situation like that. EQ is like seasoning - a little goes a long way.

Alex

AC has it right.

I use a Trace AH300 SMX (much like the 1210) and I had an 1110 before that...

I leave the EQ off and the pre-shape off, too.

With my 2004 MIA Jazz, I run the bass thus;

[b]Neck 90%

Bridge 75%

Tone 75%[/b]

The Squier 70's VMJ has a different set of strengths, so;

[b]Neck 75%

Bridge 90%

Tone 50-75%[/b]

Those are approximate, but close enough.

Has the 1210 got the dual compressor / EQ balance control?

I use just a smidge of high compression and no more than 25% on the low compression (just to smooth things out a little and protect the cabs from transients!)

If you do have these controls, try adjusting the EQ balance a [i]little[/i] until you can get your sound to nestle in the mix...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='48307' date='Aug 21 2007, 01:47 PM']Those are approximate, but close enough.

Has the 1210 got the dual compressor / EQ balance control?[/quote]
It's got the dual compressor but not EQ balance.

Thanks for the help guys, it's going to help a lot.

Pete

As has been said already - your bass is a nice one. It sounds good. Leave the EQ flat or off... and if you need to make adjustments, make small ones. I've noticed, especially on Trace heads, that once you get too into using the EQ, it turns into a big mess real fast, so be gentle with it :).