Why become a member? ×

*edit*

dlloyd

Some people claim the 1st version tracks slightly better and has a better tone. I used to have the mk4 version and I once compared it to the mk1 and couldn't really tell them apart. I figure that once you add any gain or fx the subtle difference in tone is negligible.
The mk4 I had seemed to track perfectly and I would struggle to justify paying the extra for the old one.
£300 is good price for a mk1 whammy though - I've seen them go for £400 in the past.

Cheers
John

dont bother with the whammy 2 or the xp100, they arnt very good compared to the original and 4

iv had the original and 4th, the original was definaty better sounding, was alot warmer and tracked and sustained far far better. but if you dont use the harmonies much and you just want one to mess around with the whammy functions, then the 4 will do fine. i sold my 4 for £120, and my original for £300

[quote name='BassManKev' post='50901' date='Aug 26 2007, 01:55 PM']dont bother with the whammy 2 or the xp100, they arnt very good compared to the original and 4

iv had the original and 4th, the original was definaty better sounding, was alot warmer and tracked and sustained far far better. but if you dont use the harmonies much and you just want one to mess around with the whammy functions, then the 4 will do fine. i sold my 4 for £120, and my original for £300[/quote]

Have you tried the XP-100? It sounds better than the WH-4 IMO.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='51653' date='Aug 28 2007, 11:38 AM']Have you tried the XP-100? It sounds better than the WH-4 IMO.[/quote]
not actually tried it no, but i thought it had the same problem as the whammy 2 and bass whammy, that stupid input gain thing that most of the time made notes decay dissapointingly quickly?

[quote name='BassManKev' post='51802' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:08 PM']not actually tried it no, but i thought it had the same problem as the whammy 2 and bass whammy, that stupid input gain thing that most of the time made notes decay dissapointingly quickly?[/quote]

I wouldn't know about that issue. Care to expand/give me a link? It's a bit dodgy is the way the gain pot reacts with my compressors. I can't quite understand it. Apart from that, it has a fatter tone, and tracks easily as well as the WH-4 I think. Only a very slight difference though.

Tracking is how accurately the pedal "tracks" the note that you play in order to reproduce it. For example a pedal with poor tracking would warble on the octave'd note, or take a little bit of time to kick in, and a pedal with good tracking would accurately reproduce the note an octave higher/lower without the short delay.

I'm looking a getting a whammy pedal, so what (apart from the rare and expensive Bass Whammy) can you recommend?

[quote name='Higgie' post='54871' date='Sep 4 2007, 03:26 AM']Tracking is how accurately the pedal "tracks" the note that you play in order to reproduce it. For example a pedal with poor tracking would warble on the octave'd note, or take a little bit of time to kick in, and a pedal with good tracking would accurately reproduce the note an octave higher/lower without the short delay.[/quote]

Gotcha. Cheers

[quote name='low note lee' post='55081' date='Sep 4 2007, 07:27 AM']I'm looking a getting a whammy pedal, so what (apart from the rare and expensive Bass Whammy) can you recommend?
Gotcha. Cheers[/quote]

Probably best to go for the Whammy IV. As tayste said, theres on in the for sale forum and is the cheapest youll find it. Plenty of very useful and very usable settings to play around with. Ive heard things about the WH-1 tracking and sounding better than it, but its at least twice the price and youll have a hard time finding one. Same with the Bass Whammy
I personally find the whammy IV is more than fine for me though.

If perhaps you had a bit of cash to burn you could have a look at the EHX HOG, but it may be a bit of overkill depending on what you want to do with it. It can do a hell of a lot of stuff, but very expensive and takes up a fair bit of space - especially if you get the footswitch controller for changing modes. There have also been murmours about the tracking not being too great on bass, but I haven't tried it myself so I cant comment on that....

Then there is the Digitech EX-7, which can has a detune mode, and +5th, +oct, +2oct, -oct > +oct and 2nd > M3rd whammies, but does not have the other harmony settings that the whammy has, and is more expensive. It can do a bunch of other crazy crap though (wah-wah, chorus, rotary speaker, synth swell - whether these work well on bass I dont know..) and you can also get a footswitch for changing the modes, which is always a bonus.

IMHO, you are probably best off with the Whammy IV
hope this helps :)

[quote name='Roady' post='55229' date='Sep 4 2007, 10:01 PM']Probably best to go for the Whammy IV[/quote]
Thanks for that. I'm assuming the Whammy IV is [url="http://www.digitech.com/products/whammy.htm"]this[/url] one?

EDIT: I think I found my answer; the whammy IV is the current model. Thanks again for the help :)

Edited by low note lee